LegacyGT.com

Legacy Break-In / Theft

Im going to be getting a new Legacy GT in june and I was just wondering how these cars rate on theft/ break in. My accord was broken into last night for the second time in 4 months at my apartment and somebody tried to drill through the club on my steering wheel. I asked the officers that came and wrote the report about the Legacy and they said that older ones were relatively easy to steal but they didnt know about the new ones. Do any of you know how the newer 07 08 legacys rate in this area? Im not in a very bad area and there are audis, bmws, volvos, and other higher end cars in the parking lot here that are being left alone, so Im pretty sure they're just targeting my car since its a Honda. I just want to make sure and get a car that is a tougher to steal next time. Thanks.

short out the frame of the car, step up the voltage with a simple circuit where only you know how to disarm it... anyone touches it, they get electrocuted ;)
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Im going to be getting a new Legacy GT in june and I was just wondering how these cars rate on theft/ break in. My accord was broken into last night for the second time in 4 months at my apartment and somebody tried to drill through the club on my steering wheel. I asked the officers that came and wrote the report about the Legacy and they said that older ones were relatively easy to steal but they didnt know about the new ones. Do any of you know how the newer 07 08 legacys rate in this area? Im not in a very bad area and there are audis, bmws, volvos, and other higher end cars in the parking lot here that are being left alone, so Im pretty sure they're just targeting my car since its a Honda. I just want to make sure and get a car that is a tougher to steal next time. Thanks.

Since the legacy is so uncommon, its not high on the theft list since cars are mostly stolen for the parts. Id be more worried if i had a camry.

Actually it does make sense. I did a google search and found this - the list of top stolen cars by state:

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=4wheeldrive&cdn=autos&tm=41&gps=421_810_1276_632&f=10&su=p706.5.420.ip_p284.8.150.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.campbellsolberg.com/resources/top10stolencars.htm%23state

What's interesting on the top ten list is the age of the vehicles. I didn't see a whole lot of 2005s and newer.

thats a good idea. a lot better than the one I had about getting a seat cover and putting razor blades in it facing up. cause Id probably forget to take it off sometime...

razorblades are messy... I remember a story about a boy who had a car (unknown of type) but people kept breaking into it and stealing his radio... he didn't have a fancy one or anything either.... i think it happened 2 times in 2 weeks or something rediculious... so he superglued raxorblades all over the inside of his dash and on the radio... needless to say... he had a nasty mess to clean up about a week later when someone tried to steal his ish.

chips in the key help with newer vehichles. I read an article a couple of years ago and acura integras topped the list with accords and civics in the top 25. With so many civics and integras out there its easy to nab illeagal titles/vins etc etc (i'm guessing)

OK, before I get flamed to heck, I just looked again at that link and saw the reason (duh) there weren't any 2005s and newer was that it was compiled in 2004. I feel really stupid.

I'd search again, but I don't think you'd trust me!

I thought about the Lojack but that won't do anything to deter petty theft of radio or other equipment.

One thing in the Legacy's corner is the lack of framed windows (at least on the wagons). This makes it very difficult to break the glass. Otherwise the small vent windows are extremlely vulnerable to break-in's. Every car that I had something stolen from...the vent windows were broken to gain access.

10 years ago someone attempted to break into my '85 Subie wagon (also frameless windows) but they gave up and left some minor damage to the door.

The only thing you can do is try to get motion, glass break sensors or if you can afford it a hidden camera. Jails are so full these idiots rarely serve much prison time, unless they steal the whole car. That's why I keep mine garaged, crime is so rampant.

A number of friends are officer here in the King County area (Seattle included) and the new Legacys arent being stolen. They will still get broken into but the car its self has rarely being stolen. I know all to well that the older ones get stolen. One thief that was caught in the middle of last year was responsible for over 300 Subaru thefts in 18 months including my 1996 Legacy and two neighobors Outbacks both 1998s. He had a certain method to stealing them that differed from other stolen cars. Long story short he is in jail for 28 months.

So anyways yea the new GTs should be fine both my 05 and 06 have being untouched (knock on wood).

A number of friends are officer here in the King County area (Seattle included) and the new Legacys arent being stolen. They will still get broken into but the car its self has rarely being stolen. I know all to well that the older ones get stolen. One thief that was caught in the middle of last year was responsible for over 300 Subaru thefts in 18 months including my 1996 Legacy and two neighobors Outbacks both 1998s. He had a certain method to stealing them that differed from other stolen cars. Long story short he is in jail for 28 months.

So anyways yea the new GTs should be fine both my 05 and 06 have being untouched (knock on wood).

300 Subaru thefts and he was only sentenced to 28 months? Insane!!!

The jails are so full they usually don't even serve half the sentences. He'll probably be out of jail in 6 months or 1 year tops.

highly doubt it will get stolen as its not common and no demand for parts however frameless windows equal easy break in, but pimp as $h!t :)

I beg to differ...as long as frameless with no vent windows...most thieves will skip.

They tried to pry through the weather strip molding where the window meets the center...not exactly easy to do. Break the whole window and it makes too much noise.

The vent widows are the kiss of death. They tape it up to conceal the noise or just try to make it a 3 minute hit and they're gone with your stuff.

I beg to differ...as long as frameless with no vent windows...most thieves will skip.

They tried to pry through the weather strip molding where the window meets the center...not exactly easy to do. Break the whole window and it makes too much noise.

The vent widows are the kiss of death. They tape it up to conceal the noise or just try to make it a 3 minute hit and they're gone with your stuff.

i beg to differ. my 99 mustang gt was brkoen into broad daylight in front of my dads office(he was driving it while i was in korea). they pop the lock grabbed the radar detector. they even locked the door back up and closed it. dad said he didnt notice the detector was gone for a day

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

300 Subaru thefts and he was only sentenced to 28 months? Insane!!!

The jails are so full they usually don't even serve half the sentences. He'll probably be out of jail in 6 months or 1 year tops.

I know the case quite well, the judge ordered a manadatory 22 months even with good time. Still not long enough but it was the best she could do.

i say this becuase of how it easy it is with some practice to just hit the unlock button on the door of alot of hondas without frameless.

the lgt unlock button is at least a horizontal action vs the vertical on most hondas so its harder, but its easier to slip something into the car.

thats my thinking

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived