LegacyGT.com

Warmer weather = better MPG???????

We're up here near Pittsburgh, it hit 70 degrees today. Anywho, since the weather has been cooler the LGT's gas mileage has been noticeably worse. I attributed the drop off in MPG to winter gas, but I guess it's just the weather. With the cold weather my wife has been getting about 23-24MPGs, today with the weather being what it was she averaged 27.5 today. It just seems odd to me because my M3 is the exact opposite but not to the extremes that the LGT is.

I have been getting about 21 mpg average so far in my spec B. I just got it 10/31 though, so it has been cold. Today was the warmest day that I have had it and I saw it hit 23.7! I thought I was crazy....must be the weather having the car not work as hard!

Colder, denser air entering the engine = need for more fuel to maintain a 14.7:1 AFR, therefore less fuel economy results. Plus it takes 40 percent more fuel to run a cold engine than a warm one! Untill the coolant reaches operating temp, a higher percentage of fuel is consumed. so the longer it takes to warm up the coolant, say from 0 degees compared to starting at 70 degrees, the more fuel comsumed in that period. so even parking your car in a heated garage overnight, can help you save gas in the winter:).

I only drove my supra once in the cold and it also still ahd the stock ECU with alot mroe power than stock, and when it was cold i would make too much power for the ECU and it would totaly cut my fuel off and the motor would bog

So I'll get better mileage when it warms up more?? I've only just filled up my second documented tank of gas and I'm already quite happy. 27mpg first one, 30mpg second one. I drive mosly in "I" and watch the gauge to maximize mileage. Tires are graspics with 40psi in them. 08 LGT MT5.

jack

They add ethanol to the gas in the winter. To make the air cleaner Im told , problem is it makes your gas mileage suck.

The ethanol is added to break up moisture in the fuel, and also to help the fuel atomize (break up into a fine mist) easier. it is harder for fuel to turn from a liquid to a gas form when it is colder, therefore some help is needed. the air entering the engine is only as clean as your air filter gets it:).

Archived