LegacyGT.com

How to drive the Spec-B 6 spd

I hope I don't get flamed to bits - but I've owned my Spec B for about 5 months and is new to stick. I posted a while back about learning how to drive manual (and thanks to all that replied - it was really helpful :) ).

As for the 6 spd - owners of the spec-b, do you find that the acceleration is a bit lacking? If not, it's probably my driving technique (which is most likely). When making a right turn at a red light (fully stop, then right turn) - do you guys stay in 1st until exiting the turn, or do you let the car straighten out then go into second?

I find myself staying in first while making the turn, complete the turn and let the car straighten up, then shift into second. But I find this technique to be really slow. (FYI - I shift at about 3K rpm, and in first - that's about 24 km/h) Am I doing anything wrong?

Any insights to this, and other 6 spd driving techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- W

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W,

This looks like one of those things that you will discover on your own as it's much too difficult unless one of us were sitting next to you.

At that low a speed I shift when it's needed and don't care where in the turn I am. If you are new to shifting then this may be too difficult for you to do just yet.

I do find my Spec-B a bit lacking but for different reasons that will be cured once I receive my Access Port. If you are not launching from a stop properly then it will feel a bit lacking. Another thing that will take time to master; accellerating quickly without jerking the chassis, stalling, or burning the clutch.

For the beginner....more driving is the only real advice, the rest comes in time. For now shift where you are comfortable and let the rpms fall to 2k to let out the clutch. This will keep it nice and smooth. You can then modify to taste as you become more experienced.

Welcome and enjoy!

Drew

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I've struggled with gear selection, as stated it just takes practice to master the proper gear. I had more trouble picking the correct gear and rev matching when downshifting. I always keep it in first thru the turn then shift right after straightening out, usually around 5K.

With a stick shift AWD turbo car, you got a good combination for some good ass launchs, i suggest not worrying about where you shift when normally driveing, and practice those launch and powershifts. When i drive stick i usually dont even go to 3k rpms except for 1st gear, i dont drive my cars hard unless im driving them all out.

Ummm....I'd say ignore that last post, as someone who is "new to stick shift"...practicing launching and powershifting is a recipe for a cooked clutch, if not some broken gear teeth.

Anyhoo...I'm not a Spec.B. owner, but I am an owner of a car with a tight 6-speed and not much low-end..sooo...here's some advice:

First, once properly warmed up, don't worry about revving your car up a little. It took me awhile to get comfortable shifting at 4500-5000 rpms in 1st-3rd (of course, my car redlines at 8000, so it's not quite the same). Get comfortable shifting at 4000, or 4500, regularly. It's actually better for gas mileage in most situations to accelerate moderately strong and get to your cruising gear sooner.

AWD is different than FWD. In a FWD car, you don't want to shift mid-corner because it'll affect your turn. In an AWD car, you don't need to worry about that as much.

From what I understand of this car, you need to keep it above 3000 rpms for regular power. The 6-speed is better at that, and will help you accomplish it.

Anyway, rambling as usual. Main point: Stay in 1st through the turn to get your rpms up around 4000-4500, then shift as you straighten out and lay into the throttle a moderate amount. Very satisfying.

Joe

Soo if you never practice launch of shifting hard, how will you ever get good at it, and if you never launch your AWD car, what is the point in have a fast car. Hes been driving the car for 5 months, it took my 1 month until i was launch the shit outta my first stick car. After 5 months you need to know how to launch your car.

Lol. Thanks for all the advice guys. Theres one thing I want to clear up though - because it's my common misconception (I use to drive a 92 civic 4 door - and v-tec never really kicked in yo') - is it bad for the car when you push it to 4k to 4.5k rpms on a usual basis? I keep thinking it's a bad thing ---------- And yeah, the car is difficult to launch - I still need to practice a lot (having the car for 5 months - I haven't driven it much - i know, it's a LGT sin :( ).

Thanks again!

Lol. Thanks for all the advice guys. Theres one thing I want to clear up though - because it's my common misconception (I use to drive a 92 civic 4 door - and v-tec never really kicked in yo') - is it bad for the car when you push it to 4k to 4.5k rpms on a usual basis? I keep thinking it's a bad thing ---------- And yeah, the car is difficult to launch - I still need to practice a lot (having the car for 5 months - I haven't driven it much - i know, it's a LGT sin :( ).

Thanks again!

I shift at 4000rpm every gear, unless I need torque I will run through the entire powerband. That's why there is a redline, to prevent over-revving. Don't sweat it :)

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

No you dont need to launch the car to have fun with it, but to make any kind of good times in a straight line or 1/4mile track you do need to know how to launch. Launching is where these underpower AWD cars shine, there not super under powered but when you only get around 200hp to the ground that aint that much agaisnt lets say a ls1 car. You aint gonna beat most new v8 cars from a roll, but with that AWD launch you got a chance fro ma dig.

To the OP: um, theres no super secret technique to driving a 6 speed manual vs a 5 speed manual vs a 10 speed manual. You can either drive conservatively or aggressively. You have a 1) speedo 2) tach.

Learn to use them. It doesnt require that much intelligence.

hmmm i learned on my lgt. if i dont want hard accelleration i have been known to shift at 2500rpm. most of the times though since i go through so many stop an goes i go 1st to 2500ish, 2nd to 4K, then enter 4th which i travell at about 40mph until i hit the next traffic light two blocks away. sometimes i go 1, 2, 3, 5 depending on what i am doing. i am a noob to stick so that is just what i do.

No its not bad to get the rpms that high, if you sit there with the car bouncing off the rev limiter for like 20min thats not to great but 4.5 or so is fine. BTW what rpms are you 6 speed guys at at 80mph? in 6th

For the 2007 specB 6MT, 80mph comes in ~2900rpms.

And yeah, you're shifting too early. You want acceleration? Shift at 5700rpms...on a stock B, you're just making noise above 6k.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

For the 2007 specB 6MT, 80mph comes in ~2900rpms.

And yeah, you're shifting too early. You want acceleration? Shift at 5700rpms...on a stock B, you're just making noise above 6k.

Nice not to bad, my 5 speed auto is at like 3400 i think, My Trans Am on the other hand was at 2700rpms at 90mph in 6th. Why is the legacy missing soo many guages, where the boost guage, oil pressure hell even battery volts.

Why is the legacy missing soo many guages, where the boost guage, oil pressure hell even battery volts.

Mine isn't missing those....well, maybe the volts ;):lol:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

This 6 sp in the B is from the STI. I think they took out some of the syncros from the STI version but it is still designed to be speed shifted and maybe has syncros for 1 thru 3 dunno.

Anyway this is my first 6 sp and find that 1st is short and I usually shift into 2nd ASAP.... This car has enough TQ to start from 2nd on a creaping start or down hill...

I had a 80 colt with a 4sp for about 6 months before I wrecked it that could scoot for a 4banger no turbo:(

To the OP: um, theres no super secret technique to driving a 6 speed manual vs a 5 speed manual vs a 10 speed manual. You can either drive conservatively or aggressively. You have a 1) speedo 2) tach.

Learn to use them. It doesnt require that much intelligence.

I read the tach and everything, and as Ive mentioned - this is my first performance car, and the first "standard transmission". The secret isn't in "how to drive it" per say - but when to shift - the ratios for 5 and 6 speed are different no? But hey, I'm just here to learn - and once again, thanks guys for all your input.

So I've come to the conclusion that I'm shifting too early - I guess its' because once I start pushing 3500 rpms + , the car starts grumbling and that's when I'm worried that I'm pushing my car too hard. (is that the "boxer rumble"). I'm a complete noob - I know :) .

As for shifting at higher rpms (3500+) - is that good for mileage (from a mild traffic perspective)? thanks again - all this input is greatly appreciated !

- w

This 6 sp in the B is from the STI. I think they took out some of the syncros from the STI version but it is still designed to be speed shifted and maybe has syncros for 1 thru 3 dunno.

Anyway this is my first 6 sp and find that 1st is short and I usually shift into 2nd ASAP.... This car has enough TQ to start from 2nd on a creaping start or down hill...

I had a 80 colt with a 4sp for about 6 months before I wrecked it that could scoot for a 4banger no turbo:(

Hey Spec - I noticed that first is pretty short too, but when do you shift into 2nd?

If you are jsut normal driving you can shift at any rpm that you want, when racing, you shift at about 6,000, i have seen the power curves on these cars, most loose power after 6100 so there is no point in goin any further than that when racing.

Yes, you're shifting too soon. You're turbo is barely doing anything below 3K RPM. Turbos need time to spool up, and for the Legacy GT/Spec-B, that doesn't really happen until 2.5K-3K.

And the redline fuel cut-off is there to prevent engine damage from over-revving. You'll be fine.

And that noise you hear when the engine spins past 3K? That's the fun part. Prior to that, you're basically driving a turbo-less 4 cylinder economy car.

You've probably been getting great gas mileage, though!

Try this, preferably at a straight on-ramp to an uncrowded highway. Wind it out to 4.5K or so, and you'll feel the turbo coming in. The car just pulls harder. You'll see what I mean.

Archived