LegacyGT.com

96,000km service worth it?

My car is coming up on 96,000kms (Sorry, that's about 60,000miles for you south of the border folks). I'm wondering if it's worth going to the dealer to get it done. I've been quoted (prices in CDN) $680 (said 4 hrs work) and $750 (they said 5hrs work) by two different dealers. Supposedly this is what they will do:

Check & "Clean" brakes (thanks, they clean themselves)

New Spark plugs

Change engine Coolant

Alternator Belt

AC Belt

Air Filter

Oil Filter

Change oil

I have some warranty work to get done before my car passes out of its Certified warranty period as well which is why I'm considering just getting it all done at once so it's good and tuned up for the spring.

So what do you think, given that these aren't awful dealerships is it worth it to do this service?

"Cleaning" the brakes is a bunch of BS.

The other stuff should be done. Changing the coolant, belts and filters is very easy and would take about 30-60 minutes. The spark plugs should be done and are a PITA, but can be done in an hour or less by someone who has done them before. Material cost should be well under $100.

Caliper service is very valuable. Proper lubrications of pins and sliders will ensure braking performance and long life...a cleaning would be a waste.

I wouldnt go to the dealer, its jsut a soak job. Why chang ethe air filter if it doenst need to be done? they will change regardless. GET a flush and a belt change done anywhere...the stealership is gonna take you for a ride...

but hey thats comming from private shop owner..

Archived