LegacyGT.com

Changed my horns, but what is this part?

I was changing my horns today, can someone tell me what this thing in the circle is for? It is on the same bracket as the horns.

I changed to Hella Supertones, 118db. Stock is 113db.

See if you can get a sound file posted for us.

I haven't looked, is the stocker a two tone as well?

Man, that's what I call persistence! :lol: rao and I, once we figured out where the horns in fact were, just ran jumper wires to the front of the car, and put them where they could do more good. Much of the stock horns' volume is dissipated because of their odd location. They're probably louder inside the car than outside.

We would have put my SuperTones directly behind the grille, but there's something undignified about having those two red horns peeking out of the grille. I had them behind the grille on my WRX wagon and man, were they loud!

Kevin

Dude your fender fell off and exposed the hole where they stowed the horns.

Agree with the above posters, you want to get that Hella "sound" out in front where it can be heard and "felt" by drivers other than yourself.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

hehe i just used my horn for the first time last night and said to myself wtf is this scrawny lil noise. With an engine that sounds as mean as it is why does the horn sound like a lil mouse.

Because your horns are firing into a cavity that seems to suck up all the noise. In the WRX, the horns were in the engine bay. Why they moved them for the Legacy is anyone's guess.

Kevin

Is your installation routed through a relay rated for the amps your louder horns will draw? When I put dual horns on my '85 MR2 I needed to add a 30amp relay to reduce fire risk. Have fun waking people up!

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

Just avoid wiring the new horns directly to the battery, and look up the OE amp rating vs what the new horns will draw. Other Japanese cars I upgraded horns on had relays too weak for the louder dual horns. Then again my MR2 is so invisible to SUVs I wired the horn to a 30A relay and a toggle switch so the horns blast until I turn the switch off. Leaves hands free for evasive maneuvers and hand gestures ;-)

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

Archived