LegacyGT.com

Chain requirements in the Sierras and Yosemite

lgt_nube

I've read the other threads on this topic, and most people seem to say that Subarus are just waved through unless the road is closed. I'm asking again because the National Park Service page on chain requirements in Yosemite shows exceptions to chain use only for vehicles with "snow tires", seemingly meaning that our Subies with "all season" tires must use chains. What's the experience about that?

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/chains.htm

i just got back from tahoe.....drove right through all the chain checkpoints. They made other SUVS stop like 4runners...making sure those were 4wd.

On the way back they did stop me and the guy asked if it was a subaru. I said yup and he waived me by.

Up in Canada I've known people that owned chains but never actually spotted anyone using them. I was absolutely amazed and rather amused to see the lack of winter conditions that had washington residents all chaining up on the side of the highway (wet with a slight bit of slush). Then you'd seem cars slightly further down the road with broken chains wrapped around the suspension. No one told them to not drive at highway speed on bare pavement I suppose.

I suspect all seasons would qualify if they had the ribbed side wall pattern and the snowflake on the sidewall. Really though your tires are so cheap compared to ours why not get proper tires or at least an all season that can handle snow?

I live about 100 miles from the snow so the bulk of my driving is on dry pavement. I usually do about 4-5 board trips a season. This is my first season with the Subaru. I'm just curious if all season tires are good enough to pass when there are "chain requirements"

Per CA law All-Season M+S=Snow Tires. I suspect the feds do the same.

Its stupid to class M+S tires and mountain snowflake tires together, but, hey its government.

California will close down roads before AWD and chains are required (R3 conditions), but they require all cars to carry them, just in case.

Yosemite is federal and may have different rules, but in my experience they are just like California. They'll close the roads if they are bad enough to require AWD and chains.

Per CA law All-Season M+S=Snow Tires. I suspect the feds do the same.

Its stupid to class M+S tires and mountain snowflake tires together, but, hey its government.

Yup. M+S = snow tires.

Also, the snowflake isn't a government tested marking, its an industry marking. And while it does signify better snow performance, the government doesn't care.

• 1 year later...

chains are still a huge help in icy conditions, better be prepared... I had a small crash south of yosemite park, no damage but I know if i had had chains i wouldn't have run off the road.

Scared the crap out of me. luckily I ran off the road where there was no cliff

ive never had any trouble getting through the checkpoints with oem tires. although this year i bought a set of Nokian WR G2 tires (highly recommended)

~95% of the time i find that chains are more hassle than it's worth. instead, driving slowly if u need to and not tailgating usually does the trick

im not sure if anyone made it up to tahoe during that HUGE storm during early april. that was the best drive ive ever had (although it was way too long). with no one on the road, i was cruising 40-60 mph on 88 west to kirkwood on snowy roads with no traction troubles whatsoever

subies ftw!

Archived