LegacyGT.com

Recommended wines - what are some of your favorites?

godwhomismike

Guest heightsgtltd

Great idea for a thread!

Esp. since you can have expensive wines, and cheap wines that are good or bad...

John, I went to Stags leap in Napa last April. I am a fan of their wines.

I'm cheap so I usually go with Voga for pinot & Black opal for the reds
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Rosemount Shiraz -$9.50

very good & highly recommended by my buddy that owns a liquor store. He always recommends rosemount to anyone looking for shiraz

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Guest heightsgtltd
Rosemount is dependable, but if you have a local place that carries a variety of Aussie Shiraz, there are ones for the same price that are a little more interesting :)

Current Favorite:

Smoking Loon - Cabernet Sauvignon (2005) - paid $10.50 per 750mL bottle

Has a nice hint of a smoked flavor.

http://www.pbase.com/soleilmia/image/52799014.jpg

Bought a bottle this evening. It's hit or miss. Had 4 bottles over the course of a week or so, and 2 were great and 2 were so-so. The 2 great ones had a great smoked flavor, the other two didn't have that flavor.

Worthy around $25 a bottle, William hill reserve $37 a bottle, or Frei Brothers for around $18 a bottle, all Cabs. Don't really like Chards unless they are Steel barrel fermented. For whites I prefer Reislings and mostly German Dry Reislings like Dr. Hiedemanns-Bergwiler is a good Floral yet crisp white that's only $10 a bottle...:icon_mrgr

Guest heightsgtltd

Agree on steel over oak for Chardonnays ;)

I really love Whites from Loire area of france like vouvray, Sancerre, etc.

^I will have to give them a try.... About 8 years ago I was hooked on a white wine from Cal. It was called Thousand flowers from the Hop kiln winery. Had a bad run in 2000 and stopped ordering it...

2006 Hop Kiln, A Thousand Flowers 12/750ml

53% Chardonay, 17% Gewurztraminer, 13% Chenin Blanc, 9% Muscat Canelli, 8% Sauvignon Blanc. Fermented in stainless steel tanks. 3,073 cases produced.

Brillant, light straw/green colored, this wine has full floral and tropical fruit flavors with a "core" of spicy green apple. These delicate tropical flavors leave a mouth full of fruit and spice. Delightful. Perfect sipping wine or to serve with light style foods, cheeses and fruits. A Picnickers's favorite!

Gold Medal - 2007 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition

National Retail Price: $17.99 / bottle

I was getting it for $11 back then...:icon_mrgr

Archived