LegacyGT.com

Minor accident... can it be fixed like new?

Hey guys,

I am pretty bummed today. I was in line, in my car, at the post office waiting to drop some mail in the mail box in the driveway. The truck in front of me just stopped and sat there for 10 seconds, then threw it in reverse and backed up, hitting my car. There were cars behind me so all I could do was honk and switch into neutral so the blow wouldn't be hard.

A man got out and told me his wife is in the driver seat and she isn't good at driving in the 'big city' (100K people city in North Dakota). Of course nothing happened to his bumper, but he put a 2 inch scratch in mine, cracked the emblem, and cracked the black insert. I took the car through a car wash so I could see the damage easily, then went to the dealer who said they would fix it like new by removing the bumper, repainting it, and replacing the cracked plastic parts. Insurance will cover it of course, without a penny from me.

It's a 2008 Legacy 2.5i limited in deep bronze metallic (only 3800 miles!!). I have never had to get body work done on a car before. What's the chance it really will look like new again? I'm afraid of paint not being matched perfectly or panels not lining up like they used to. The dealer's bodyshop is on my insurance company's "preferred list" (State Farm).

I know I don't have a GT like most of you, but I am still sick to my stomach, especially since I had no part in causing this (easier to take it when you were stupid and got what you deserved).

Andy

Well its a dealership, so they wil lget a factory bumper and use factory paint, and it will look liek it did from the factory. No worries, my mom hit my Trans Am while it was parked in her driveway, they replaced the fender it look the same.

In 1995 I got hit head on by a drunk driver. When they got through with my car at the body shop, you could not tell it had been in an accident - except for the $12,544 bill the insurance company picked up.

It sucks, but you walked away, and you were going to get that first scratch someday!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Every time I've had body work done dealership or not, it's never been done right. There's always some evidence of work, from gaps being bigger between panels all the way up to the window no longer rolling up without manual help.

May just be this area though. I've noticed an insanely large amount of hacks from the fast food industry all the way up to the dental industry around here.

I am having minor work right now on mine, well somewhat (new door and quarter panel) It's at the dealer and I have heard nothing but compliments about their work. I'll post pics before and after when they are done..... should be next day or two. (3900 miles here.... )

The EXACT same thing has beed going through my head these last three weeks..... that and ARGH!!! Malibu's suck!!!

Archived