LegacyGT.com

performance questions for the 2.5i

i will, i just need to read up, i dont know anything about it really, but it could be fun. i need somewhere to have fun with the car without being scared of gettin a ticket.

Just click on the link in my signature. Learn all you need to know.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
since this is starting to turn into more of a suspension mod thread, i might as well ask another qustioon being that i've learned alot in this thread already. I too want to know what people opinions are for the sway bar combination, but also want to know opinions on coilovers. More specifically looking for very little ride quality loss, but a good balance on improved handling. If that makes sense

Start small, and work your way up..

I started with the JDM rear sway bar w/ stock links & mounts, which was a huge improvement from OEM. I'll upgrade my endlinks, and mounts over the next year, but I don't think I'll upgrade the sways anymore..

BUT, I'm installing Bilstein struts/Swift springs in the spring :) . If not, I might have gotten a F&R package w/ mounts and links..

Here's what I have done.

New engine at 133k. (head gasket hosed me)

Borla headers (second set)

Stromung exhaust (expensive but high quality & great sound)

K&N panel filter with air box opened up (best bang for buck, intakes are counter productive)

Hawk HPS pads on front & back

Brembo rotors OEM replacement front & back

Goodridge braided stainless brake lines (did not really notice much improvement)

Motul RBF 600 fluid

KYB GR2 struts (good bang for buck)

Outback sway bar on rear ($40 real good bang for buck)

190k miles

Goodyear Eagles (good tires)

Next I will do sway bar bushings and end links. In that order.

are you running the 25mm cobb sways with stock suspension, or would you recommend doing more suspension worh with the sways right away?

Those should be ok to do by themselves, but if you're getting the rear set, I recommend you also get either the Perrin or the AVO rear reinforcement brackets. Those are a must when upgrading the rear sway. Other than that, you can do other suspension stuff when you're ready.

I run the cobb sway bar kit on my 05. The rear bar comes with stiffeners, and the front bar is just a skiff narrow. I have not had any endlink issues with front, but understand others have. After installation I noticed a considerable difference in the cars handling and stiffness. In short good bang for the buck to be had here. I also run KW V-2 coilovers heavy duty endlinks and upper strut tower mounts. The sway gave me the greatest change followed by the coilovers...

Hey TJF, they are reinforcement brackets. One is a plate that mounts to the back of the frame support itself, and the other connects to the sub frame and ties into the mounting bracket. AVO also offers a stiffener, but I am not so sure the cobb stiffeners are inadequate. heavy duty end links are always a good idea to run with heavy duty sways... I have had no problems with so far they have been on for several months and car is lowered via the coil overs which adds additional stress to the structural mounts and end links hope that helps.

thanks for the help! I'm really starting to realize how much i have to learn. I thought it would be easy because i know alot about vw, but didnt do much suspension work. This is a whole new world!!!

if anyone knows i also posted this in the perrin pulley walkthrough, but how can i install it with a 4eat, im so pissed that its not as simple as i thought it would be.

and another question, ive been told that a performance catback exhaust wouldnt help an NA car with horsepower that much, any chance that is true?

Hey TJF, they are reinforcement brackets. One is a plate that mounts to the back of the frame support itself, and the other connects to the sub frame and ties into the mounting bracket. AVO also offers a stiffener, but I am not so sure the cobb stiffeners are inadequate. heavy duty end links are always a good idea to run with heavy duty sways... I have had no problems with so far they have been on for several months and car is lowered via the coil overs which adds additional stress to the structural mounts and end links hope that helps.

What type of end links did you switch to? bushing or bearing? brand?

Thx Mike

I used AVO heavy Duty in the rear and cusco in the front. I believe thier bushing mounts... I was concerned after adding the sways and coil-overs as the stock end-links were pretty spindly, Purchased from rallitec.

if anyone knows i also posted this in the perrin pulley walkthrough, but how can i install it with a 4eat, im so pissed that its not as simple as i thought it would be.

and another question, ive been told that a performance catback exhaust wouldnt help an NA car with horsepower that much, any chance that is true?

watch the pipe size 2-1/4 is plenty for the automatic and you will gain a few horses... Go big 3'' and you will lose power

I'm curious about the HKS Silent Hipower exhaust on a 2.5i. It just sounds so nice, but wondering how it'll sound on an N/A.

Here's a clip on a GT

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdED_vum1hU]YouTube - 07 Subaru Legacy GT; HKS Silent Hipower[/ame]

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Your best (maybe 'only' at this point) route is to go custom exhaust..

Anything over 2.5" will likely cause power to suffer. 2.25" is recommended for NA stg 1-2, 2.5" is recommended for NA stg 3(cams & the P6) & turbo kits, & 3" is not good..

That was the case with my 2.5RS. Someone plz correct me if I'm wrong..

Archived