LegacyGT.com

Rust - what's covered?

D_J

I read that rust protection applies to paint on the Subaru warranty.

What about rust on the brake components? I have a part (clip?) in the rear left brake caliper that is all rusted out. Rust stains bleed onto the rim and it appears to be spreading.

None of the other brakes have this type of rust problem.

Does anyone know if the warranty would cover replacement of brake parts due to rust?

Anybody else with rust issues? What about getting an undercoating treatment?

The closer you are to the ocean or in places like Hawaii this is a big problem for ALL cars.

Also I hear in the mountain areas they salt the roads during snow storms and that also causes rust issues.

I read that rust protection applies to paint on the Subaru warranty.

What about rust on the brake components? I have a part (clip?) in the rear left brake caliper that is all rusted out. Rust stains bleed onto the rim and it appears to be spreading.

None of the other brakes have this type of rust problem.

Does anyone know if the warranty would cover replacement of brake parts due to rust?

Only rust perforations (holes) in the body of the car are covered. Undercarriage components (including brakes) are not warrantied against rust.

Maybe I'll see if the dealer can take off the calipers, replace the rusted clips/brakets, and apply heavy duty paint to the calipers. Shouldn't be more than $150 I would think.

Since I live so close to ocean, might have to look into a professional undercoating spray to get some serious rust protection.

Otherwise most cars after 10 years around here all get rust problems. At least I don't live in Hawaii - they got it much worse.

Let me know how that works out with the dealer because my brake calipers are rusted as well, especially the front driver's side.

I plan on painting mine next spring but it looks like crap now. The rust hasn't spread though.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

My car isn't even 2 years old and just about every part under there is rusted to hell.

I'm not worried, my 95 has rusted up so much, rust is the only thing holding half the stuff together. :lol:

Previously they used more corrosive ice melters on the roads. Which would explain why both my older cars have rusted up so much in certain areas.

Apparently what the state is using this year is a new combination that is both better for the environment and on our cars. Unfortunately, it leaves a white mess everywhere.

I've got the rust issue as well. One of the clips is "bleeding" rust on the caliper. I noticed several parts on the underside showing rust. Living in the south, salted roads in the winter lasts maybe a few days. Oh well...

i've got a related question- i just got back from winter break, where my legacy sat outside for about 3 weeks in the cold and wetness of NY. i dont know if my pads could've gotten stuck to the rotors, but when i went to pull away the driveline seemed stuck, just like the parking brake was on. I worked the pedal a bunch and the handbrake, and still no luck. I got the car to pull away after revving to almost 3k and, but only after a couple tries at 2k were unsuccessful (both in 1st and reverse), and it sounded pretty bad getting underway, like a major clunk and noises you hate hearing from your car. The car had to be moved (i'd unknowingly parked illegally while it was snowing heavily before xmas) but using the break produced so significant shuddering and just did not feel good.

I know i need to get the car in for an oil change soon, but it's only got ~32k miles... can anyone offer some insight into what could be wrong? My rotors looked really rusted, not a big surprise considering the car was sitting out in the wet for 3 weeks, could this have been the problem? It doesn't seem like it'd be great to drive on, but does this sound excessible serious? thanks guys....

Archived