LegacyGT.com

HELP! Got wax on the rubber trim.......

05USdmGTgUy

You were waxing your car in 20 degree weather. Your dedicated....:lol:

You can try mothers back to black.

thats what i was thinking. i love my legacy as well, but hell, it's not worth freezing the captain and his two nutty friends to get it waxed....unless you're rocking heated draws...then it's chestnuts roasting on an open fire

:lol::lol::lol:

look for this stuff in auto places called "sunofagun", if you have any rubber plastic or anything thats not metal you can use it on that. I accidently waxed the plastic trim around my bumpers in my jet black 540 and it came right off with the sunofagun stuff, just put it on a cloth, apply it with the cloth and wipe it off

does anyone use that spray-on wax at the DIY car wash? in the middle of winter without a garage and the roads covered with salt or water or snow all the time it seems to me to be a decent solution - my car is never clean for very long. i just clean the car as usual, spray on the wax for a final rinse then dry the car with a soft cotton towel. water seems to bead OK for awhile.

Guest *Jedimaster*
thats what i was thinking. i love my legacy as well, but hell, it's not worth freezing the captain and his two nutty friends to get it waxed....unless you're rocking heated draws...then it's chestnuts roasting on an open fire

:lol::lol::lol:

"the captain and his two nutty friends" :lol: Leave it to Colonel Anus :lol:

does anyone use that spray-on wax at the DIY car wash? in the middle of winter without a garage and the roads covered with salt or water or snow all the time it seems to me to be a decent solution - my car is never clean for very long. i just clean the car as usual, spray on the wax for a final rinse then dry the car with a soft cotton towel. water seems to bead OK for awhile.

I have done this but never been happy with the results. The DIY car washes around here have a wax option, but im not happy with that either. I always try to give it one good wax right before the winter starts and one after the winter. I read that a good wax will last 3 –5 months. Also if the winter lets up for a few days I sneak on in.

some one mentioned peanut oil.... Believe it or not this is a great solution, though I've found peanut butter to work even better at removing wax from porous *especially black* plastic and rubber.... had a detailing job one year back in high school, and apparently it is one of the closest held secrets of the industry, and now I have bought it to you, my fellow LGT owners..

PS - don't use Chunky, that belongs on PB&Js, not cars; use that worthless creamy stuff for the trim.

PPS - I am completely serious about this by the way; it really DOES work.

edit: clarification for searches

• 11 months later...
I waxed my 05 LGT Wagon for the first time this weekend. I was somewhat surprised by how much of the exterior is plastic (or at least feels like plastic). Can anyone give a rundown of the parts of the car that are plastic and can't be waxed? Of course most of the cladding on the lower portion of the car is plastic but the biggest surprise to me was the upper portion of the liftgate (just below the rear window). I thought I read about the liftgate being aluminum but it certainly feels like plastic to me.

You can wax all the painted pieces that are plastic. This thread is regarding the UNPAINTED plastic areas along various parts of the body. i.e. window mouldings, lower area of rear bumper on sedans, trim on the side view mirror, front grille (if stock), etc.

+1 for the PB. Another way of doing it is to just use soapy water and a tooth brush. You've got fillers from the wax in the pores of the trim. A tooth brush can get them out. The oils from peanut butter will extract these particles for you, but so will a tooth brush and there is less clean up.

Two words of advice for you for next time... 'Masking Tape'. I tape off parts that I don't want to clean up afterwards. The only part of my Legacy I have to tape off is the sunroof. Everything else is pretty easy to avoid.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

the one I use in the winter time has a dial on it, so I always skip that step. i put two coats of wax on it a couple weeks ago, so that'll do. I don't use the brush at the diy car washes though, never know who was using it before you and what they were using the brush to clean. I always bring my wash mitt if I plan on wiping the car down.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived