LegacyGT.com

Parked Envoy hit my Parked Legacy...

Good luck with the repairs. Im sure it will be better than new. I have a new front bumper (which I did myself) and a repaired rear bumper and you would never even know that the previous owner abused this car, therefore I dont think anyone would ever know that you had to get a new door.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ha ha RangerMan... thanks I needed a laugh

I spoke with the Insurance and they told me legally they can't upgrade me because NC law will only allow them to give me a standard size vehicle. The guy was a real asshole about it. I actually reiterated that if they upgraded me it would be illegal.

I'll probably call back again tommorrow just to push the issue, but I"m not counting on anyting.

I got the estimate today, $3300 and that doesn't include the wheel. The shop said it will need a new wheel. Apparently they deal with this adjuster alot and it seems like I won't have any trouble on that end.

He said at best, if it's just surface damage it will be done around Jan 3..... I won't see my '08 until '08.... AAARGH!!!!

I'll keep you guys updated...

ha ha RangerMan... thanks I needed a laugh

I spoke with the Insurance and they told me legally they can't upgrade me because NC law will only allow them to give me a standard size vehicle. The guy was a real asshole about it. I actually reiterated that if they upgraded me it would be illegal.

I'll probably call back again tommorrow just to push the issue, but I"m not counting on anyting.

I got the estimate today, $3300 and that doesn't include the wheel. The shop said it will need a new wheel. Apparently they deal with this adjuster alot and it seems like I won't have any trouble on that end.

He said at best, if it's just surface damage it will be done around Jan 3..... I won't see my '08 until '08.... AAARGH!!!!

I'll keep you guys updated...

unfortunately in most states the insurance companies are only required by law to provide basic alternative transportation, NOT comparable. CT is the same way. In most situations with an insurance company the squeeky wheel gets the grease. If there is a necessity i.e. space for kids or business use then they may look at paying for more. Good luck, hope you get your car back soon!

I guess Ohio isn't one of those states. Either that, or I was one squeaky (read: annoying bastard) wheel. Anyway, I went into some spiel about how I have some business need to haul stuff, and the cargo area of my car when the seats are folded down dwarfs that of the "comparable" cars. I don't really buy that it's "illegal" to give you more than a standard. I think maybe they're only legally obligated to provide you with a standard.

I guess Ohio isn't one of those states. Either that, or I was one squeaky (read: annoying bastard) wheel. Anyway, I went into some spiel about how I have some business need to haul stuff, and the cargo area of my car when the seats are folded down dwarfs that of the "comparable" cars. I don't really buy that it's "illegal" to give you more than a standard. I think maybe they're only legally obligated to provide you with a standard.

You are correct sir!

I agree with the "legally obligated" part. The guy just sounded like such an idiot in the message he left me, he truly made it sound as though it would be against the law to upgrade me (which of course I know would be stupid)

I didn't get a chance to call today. I'll probably call again tommorrow evening as I'll be picking up another vehicle on Friday. I'll squeak some more and argue the hauling point.

When I lived in WV I totaled a SHO Taurus and they tried to give me a cavalier sized vehicle, I called and told them that Enterprise offered a Taurus and that it was not in the same class as a cavalier, at first they asked why I needed the bigger vehicle, I told them it didn't matter. I occaisonally haul things and that I bought a full size car for a reason, they couldn't argue that. Of course this was Allstate insurance.

Hopefully I'll get someone in the holiday mood tommorrow. If I get the chance I'll update you guys on it. If not everyone have a Merry Christmas or Happy whatever your celebrating!!

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, but I finally got my car back a few weeks ago. Yesterday was the first decent day I've had to wash her, so here are the pics after....

I am rather impressed, however somehow they didn't replace my dented centercap when they replaced the wheel?!?!? The wheel is def new as the old one had a horrible scratch in it.... I have a new centercap on order. All the rest is great.... I can't tell a difference so that's enough for me :)

http://thehyetts.com/subaru/images/legacy-crash-1a.jpg

http://thehyetts.com/subaru/images/legacy-crash-2a.jpg

http://thehyetts.com/subaru/images/legacy-crash-3a.jpg

http://thehyetts.com/subaru/images/legacy-crash-4a.jpg

Take a look at your estimate from the body shop and make sure that they blended the front left door, and your right rocker panel. Also make sure that the refinish is a true three stage process (base, pearl, clear coat), rather than a two stage (base w/pearl, clear coat). If you go to http://www.paintscratch.com, the color you have is a three stage paint, so a little more goes into it. I would also definitely re-check your main body line on your left quarter panel to make sure that it is uniform (sharpness) along the panel. If they did a repair, sometimes they don't do that repair correctly. Also make sure that they blended your left sail panel for proper uniformity. Sometimes the insurance adjuster will have the painter do a clear coat burn where the quarter panel meets with the sail panel in order to safe on refinish costs. A lot of that also depends on the skill of the painter. You can usually tell when on the estimate it shows negative values for refinish with wording like "blend within the panel" or "base coat deduction". One more thing, make sure the texture or orange peel is the same throughout. A lot of times they would put down "color sand buff" but they won't do that until the paint is totally cured.

That sucks, your car looks good tho.

My friend's cat totaled someone's car by doing something like this. They left their manual truck in gear on a hill and left it for like 5 min with their cat inside of it. The cat decided to jump on the shifter and knock it out of gear, so it rolled down the hill and smashed into some older car and totaled it. The insurance company covered it... Its a pretty good story too.

Thing is diminished value is hard to back up. I was considering going into Carmax and pretending I want to sell - hoping they do a carfax lookup and evaluate the precise amount that the value of the car decreased due to having a collision history. If you know a good way, help a brotha out.

-Sean

The thing with the diminished value deal, is that it's shit like that that cause high insurance premiums in the first place. My car is fixed by to normal (as welll as I can tell) I had a rental the entire time, paid no money. The body shop is Subaru certified and guarantees the work for the life of ownership. I was left in very little suffering. I WILL NOT go for money I don't deserve, I would be pissed if someone did the same to me.

As for the house.... yeah it's Pink... It's a 1912 Victorian Farmhouse we bought that color, it fits the age and era and can't think of another color to paint it. But good eye ;):lol: I catch alot of hell about it. But when people actually see the whole thing they usually shut up. :)

Thanks for the responses. BigMan... I look over the bill and make sure it's painted right, I tried to look at the finish and it looks GREAT to me, I'm no expert, but I'm the owner. I figure if they didn't do it right and it starts to look bad I'll take it back. The dealership I bought from did the work and they have been great with me so far.

Biggest thing about diminished value is how much pain your going to feel at trade time. Most dealers are smart enough to pull Carfax's now and the dollar amount of repairs set the different categories of damage. So don't think of it as "pay me now money", think of it as money you'll need to set aside for the hit you'll take at trade time. And you will take a hit.

Will also have an effect on a private sale for sure, if they're smart enough to pull a Carfax.

If you trade at the repairing dealer, they may give you a break when you trade, but they're in turn going to have to allay a new customer's fears when that potential buyer pulls the Carfax.

Not so much an issue if you plan on keeping the car for a long, long, time; but you'll probably feel it if you turn your vehicles over every 3 or 4 years.

There are a couple of online sites that calculate the effect of the $$ in damage on the trade in value.

Actually, if your dealer wants to, he can give you a real decent estimate on what that accident will eventually cost you.

BTW - Not all states allow for the recovery of dimished value, especially the "no-fault" states, i.e. MI.

Wow!

You guys sure do worry about things.

The car may be totaled, stolen or hit again...who knows what will happen to it.

People talk about suing, arresting the guy (for what?) and other nonsense.

The car is fixed correctly so try to worry about other more important things in life.

It's just a car, not a priceless treasure.

Wow!

You guys sure do worry about things.

The car may be totaled, stolen or hit again...who knows what will happen to it.

People talk about suing, arresting the guy (for what?) and other nonsense.

The car is fixed correctly so try to worry about other more important things in life.

It's just a car, not a priceless treasure.

Actually, even being just a car, it is still a pretty big deal. There are people here that put a lot of money into their cars and to them they are priceless....and you are right, it could be stolen, it could be this, or it could be that.....but if he wants to trade the car in later, then that would be the smart thing to do. I never said arrest, or sue, and diminished value, not really nonsense......so try not to get your panties in a bunch and be holier than thou because people were just giving him their advise and opinions!

Archived