LegacyGT.com

how to clean an spt filter

kmarajh

I have had my SPT intake in for about 6 months now but have been driving in some really dusty areas. Does anyone have a cleaning procedure for it?

I think I am going to revert back to the stock air box as I will be in these same areas for a while to come. Might drop in a KN for now

It is best to throw it away and buy a different kind instead. They have been proven to decrease performance due to their turbulent design, and cause your engine to run lean if not tuned properly.

I would venture to say that a drop in would be an improvement...

It is best to throw it away and buy a different kind instead. They have been proven to decrease performance due to their turbulent design, and cause your engine to run lean if not tuned properly.

I would venture to say that a drop in would be an improvement...

Yes, Cobb has shown a performance loss. However I believe that was without the heat sheild. With a non stock car the SPT intake does show gains with a tune. I would not recommend using that thing without a tune for it. You could be throwing your air/fuel ratio wacky.

Nice read:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3223

"Conclusion

Overall, the factory air cleaner system doesn't fall into the traditional "first item to replace" like we've all be accustom to. In fact, it may even be suggested that it be one of the last thing you do in your quest for power."

"Conclusion

Overall, the factory air cleaner system doesn't fall into the traditional "first item to replace" like we've all be accustom to. In fact, it may even be suggested that it be one of the last thing you do in your quest for power."

This seems to have been the case more and more. Automakers are getting smart and esp with turbocharged cars.

I know with B5 Passats/A4s no intake short fo an obcenley expensive one even matched the stock intake in 1.8Ts.

• 11 months later...
^^weird, it says unwashable where I've seen it before.

and don't throw it away, sell it here. I just sold mine a few weeks ago. Lots of people want to at least try it out and see how they like it.

SO, with what should I replace it? I got my car used and it already had SPT intake and Borla exhaust. I does not have any gauges and I don't know if I should at least put pressure and mixture gauges to find out if it's runs normal.

Any thoughts?

you dont need any gauges to do that. if you have a laptop you can buy http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96737 the VAG-COM cable ($20) from autonostics (12'th post in that has a link to the cable) and log using RomRaider to see if the car is running properly. If you want to go big, you could buy a tactrix cable ($80) and flash yourself a stage 1 open source. some people have had success with flashing with the VAG-COM but the tactrix seems definite.

post your logs in the Tuning forum and some smart people will usually take a look for you and see if its alright.

just replace the filter if you like it. i think subaru sells a replacement. they didn't give the stock intake air box with the car, did they?

I went to an AEM CAI, but there are some other good options like the AVO and K&N...search around the site there's some good information on them all.

Archived