LegacyGT.com

5300K McCulloch's on their way...

2Simpletons

Yeah great pickup and they have a pretty good name from what I hear. With 5300K it will be abit brighter than the normal 4300K lamps in standard Xenon Lexus, BMW and MB but you shouldnt get tooooo many ppl flashing you saying u have yr highbeams on. Good luck with the install, pics and instructions would be great. Adam.

McCulloch's 5300K setup is more like other manufacturers 4700K. Regarding brightness, the higher the Kelvin rating the lower the light output. The only reason to go with anything above 4300K is color preference. Funny thing is that HID's see their color shift upward naturally with use. So your brand new 4300K bulbs will end up being 5000K after a period of use. They also lose some output over time too. So if you plan on keeping your car for a long time, you are better off with a lower Kelvin rating.

Well I'm sure you'll enjoy them, but personally I don't see the point in spending that much money on the low beams. They are already excellent.

What I care about is getting the maximum light output on my high beams. I just ordered some 9011 HIR bulbs for that, 2350 Lumens vs 1700 for the 9005 bulbs, and they don't cost a fortune or require modifications to the car.

Sly

Well I'm sure you'll enjoy them, but personally I don't see the point in spending that much money on the low beams. They are already excellent.

What I care about is getting the maximum light output on my high beams. I just ordered some 9011 HIR bulbs for that, 2350 Lumens vs 1700 for the 9005 bulbs, and they don't cost a fortune or require modifications to the car.

Sly

Most people generally use low beams more than high. The high beams are more than sufficient for me. You are correct though the low beams are excellent, but upgrading to HID's in this car is more of a bling factor.

Well, I live in the country, so I personally use my high beams a lot.

But I don't think increasing the light output of the low beams makes all that much difference since their range is severely limited by the sharp beam cut-off. Also, when I'm on low beams it's because other cars are coming the other way, and more illumination won't make much difference, other than to blind those other drivers.

When you look at the cost and drawbacks of HIDs compared to what you get in return, I think the only way you can justify them is as you said, the bling factor.

So like I said, if he wants cool looking blue lights, then I'm sure he'll enjoy them. :)

Sly

Wow!

This site is turning into Nabisco!!! I get a kick out of people who tear down a someone because they wanted to better their car. I never thought my purchase of 5300K HIDs would've caused such a fuss-I would have never posted this thread.

I guess since my STi came with HIDs I'm a ricer - Oh wait those lights are 1200K less than these, whew I guess I'm OK. The fact is a 5300K HID setup will be better (brighter) than a holgen setup on the Legacy. 6000K+ would not be worth the change. They might not be that much brighter, but brighter, crisper, reflect road/sign paint better than the stock halogens. I agree that the stock setup is extremely good-I'm just trying to make it better.

If I wanted friggin bling on my car I would have gotten 6000K or higher HIDs, blue turn signals, chrome 19's and a big aluminum wing for the trunk. Geez people, pull the corncob outa your asses and relax a little.

Wow to you! I'm not sure who's got the corncob up their ass here!

Nobody tore you up as far as I can recall. I was just debating the merits (or lack thereof) of the HID headlamp kits. I expressed my opinion that they are not really worth the trouble unless you are in it for the look. Isn't it what these forums are all about? Expressing and sharing opinions and information? There is a lot of hype surrounding these HID lamps and I was just trying to inject a bit of reality into the discussion. Yes HIDs have benefits, but they also have a lot of drawbacks. It all depends on what one is looking for.

The fact that you do not share my opinion is perfectly alright and what makes this world tick.

Sorry if you felt personally attacked, but I personally do not see any attacks in this thread, just sharing various opinions so that hopefully, other readers can make an educated decision when they want to look at upgrading their headlights.

Hmm, what were you saying? Just relax a little? ;)

Keep you sense of humor too...

Wow!

This site is turning into Nabisco!!! I get a kick out of people who tear down a someone because they wanted to better their car. I never thought my purchase of 5300K HIDs would've caused such a fuss-I would have never posted this thread.

I guess since my STi came with HIDs I'm a ricer - Oh wait those lights are 1200K less than these, whew I guess I'm OK. The fact is a 5300K HID setup will be better (brighter) than a holgen setup on the Legacy. 6000K+ would not be worth the change. They might not be that much brighter, but brighter, crisper, reflect road/sign paint better than the stock halogens. I agree that the stock setup is extremely good-I'm just trying to make it better.

If I wanted friggin bling on my car I would have gotten 6000K or higher HIDs, blue turn signals, chrome 19's and a big aluminum wing for the trunk. Geez people, pull the corncob outa your asses and relax a little.

This board, though it has degenerated much since its calm, pleasant early days, has a very long way to go before it becomes NASIOC.

If you want HIDs on your car, rock on. It's your car. But the best way to keep people from weighing in on something is to keep it to yourself, I have learned. It's your car, and your business.

From my perspective, I have seen cars with OE HID setups, and cars with aftermarket HID setups of all kinds. I have NEVER seen a car with HIDs as good as the BMW system. I don't know what they do or how they do it, whether it's the optics or the bulbs, but those cars are awesome.

Kevin

And unless I am mistaken, they use the HIDs for the high beams too...

Ye gods! When I'm cycling home at night, BMWs are always easy to tell, coming up from behind me. There's this huge blanket of white light. Other cars, it's kind of bluish-white. BMWs are also the only cars that obliterate my beams (dual NiteRider HID lights) in their output. Very nice stuff.

Kevin

Yeah^^^,

one of my buddies had a 2000 M5 and man I have yet to see a set of HIDs come close to those. Absolutely crisp cutoff lines, auto self-leveling and bright as daylight! Probably the most confident night driving car I've driven.

It's like they stole one of LOWES or WALMART's overhead bulbs and stuck it behind a projection lens - very bright, white light.

I wish my STi's headlights were projection HIDs, not reflector HIDs. The cutoff lines are real blurry and there's inconsistencies in the beam. Maybe I'll try to convert to a projection lens somehow.

I bought the H1 5300k Kit 3 months ago for my Mazda6.......I installed it, love it.....they are not that bright as to hinder other drivers. The light housing in the Mazda6 creates a lil glare mak'n them seem a little brighter.....Nothing will be as bright as the new Lexus 300's.

I'm getting my 05 LGT soon and am just gonna move over my hids if possible. I've been read'n this board all day try'n to catch up on everything I could need to know.....but am Spent...Are the Headlights the H1 Style the same as the Mazda6?

EDIT** Found it...they are H7's :D So much read'n so little time, I want to know it all NOW....

http://www.bostonwolfpack.com/Scans007/hid.htm

Theres the link to my 6's page, you can see install pics as well as an On the road side by side difference pic.....you can also see that they are not very blue at all...=)

I just installed the McCulloch HID kit. WOW!!! Nice quality kit. The install took about 45 minutes to complete. The kit came with nice grommets so the install is water tight. Ballasts are small enough to mount and tidy up with zip-ties.

I got a chance to drive it around for a while and holy smokes these things are bright and crystal white! Extremely sharp cutoff and just friggin bright. I would say at least a 20%-30% increase in light output from stock.

Whoever says our cars don't really benefit from HIDs obviously hasn't had them yet! The fact is Subaru designed the stock projectors so well that when you add an HID bulb it gets that much better. I just wish my friggin' $34,000 STi had headlights like these. The Sti HIDs don't even compare to these now. This has got to be the best $250 I've spent on this car yet.

As far as color temp, there's nothing wrong with these 5300K bulbs-the light is crystal white with a VERY slight bluish tint. And like I said the increase in usable light is dramatic. I can see things very clearly that I could not before.

Go get some HIDs.

I wouldn't quite say "Go get some HIDs," particularly as aftermarket HIDs are illegal. And were I interested, it would take more than a 20-30% improvement to get me to hack up my stock dust/water shields. Then again, I've never encountered a situation where more light than the stock projector setup has been able to offer. Not even close.

Kevin

Why are you worried about the dust covers?!?! It's a $5 part. the rubber grommet ensures a tight seal. I'd rather drill a small hole in a replaceable dust cover than into the headlight housing.

20%-30% is a huge difference in light output for $250.

Like I said if you haven't seen these then try to have an open mind.

I'm just giving an honest review of my experience-hoping to benefit others.

Why are you worried about the dust covers?!?! It's a $5 part. the rubber grommet ensures a tight seal. I'd rather drill a small hole in a replaceable dust cover than into the headlight housing.

20%-30% is a huge difference in light output for $250.

Like I said if you haven't seen these then try to have an open mind.

I'm just giving an honest review of my experience-hoping to benefit others.

When I installed my HIDs, I drilled a whole in my headlight housing, because my kit wouldnt fit, but now its perfect.

Worst case scenario, I'll order new covers, it doesnt cost much.

HID's are awesome in every affect...Driving back and forth to ME they provide much crisper and clear'r light. Providing me with much more vision of the road (Had them on my 6)...and the only reason y the are illegal in the states are cuz the law says that they have to be self leveling as not to blind oncoming drivers when coming over hills and such. Now if you have a non leveling and Leveing coming over the same hill at the same time. You will never be able to tell the diff. Esp. with the kit he bought 5000k is less bright then the stock Lexus 300's and others.....Ilegal...maybe, but we tint our windows illegally, take our front plates of legally......if HID's are the only law you are break'n I say your a pretty damn good person........ROCK"N the HIDS......I'll get mine for the GT soon......

Oh and The dust cover mod is not a hack, all you need is a 1 inch dreml bit and you have a nice clean whole. Then if you are worred about the seal a lil bathroom cocking around it and no mosture will ever get in. It's a simple install...

Of course all IMHO :D

• 2 months later...
Not sure but on mine there are two soft spongy rings that the Plastic case fits on that surrounds the HID bulbs. Are these mounted with the bulb or do we just take them off before putting the bulbs in? It's harder to put the bulbs in with them on. Need help!

Not sure but on mine there are two soft spongy rings that the Plastic case fits on that surrounds the HID bulbs. Are these mounted with the bulb or do we just take them off before putting the bulbs in? It's harder to put the bulbs in with them on. Need help!

Didn't you post this somewhere else..........;)

Anyway, that's for protection when shipping....get rid of them...

Archived