LegacyGT.com

Sanity Check: 30k Mile Maintenance/Upgrades

Have you changed you coolant before and are you planning to use Subaru coolant and conditioner. If not, recommend that you 1) undestand the change process as it's involved and you definitely don't want to end up with hot spots in the engine due to air in the system and 2) that you use Subaru coolant/conditioner to keep your aluminum alloys in good shape. After you change it out, let it idle for a good long time (30-45 mins) before driving to ensure that it's purged itself of any air pockets.

Change out the tranny and differential fluid with Subaru Extra-S gear oil for best synchro operation. See unclemat's link here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62614. Flush your brakes while you're at it.

These three are must do's at the 30K interval IMHO/E. They're cheap insurance and the coolant/conditioner in particular will help ward off issues with your head gaskets in the future.

As for the suspension upgrades, I'm completely with you on the sequencing, but can't answer your settings questions off the top of my head.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Cool, thanks for the response SBT. I have not changed the coolant on this car/subarus before but I have all the vaca pics to reference.

I have read that the Redline 75W90NS is a good choice for the tranny since it is formulated to improve synchro meshing at all temps. I will read the link you posted when I get a few extra moments today.

i took mine in a few weeks ago. dished out $550 with tax. i had a

coupon.

easiest 30k ever, actually.... just sat around in the waiting area listening

to my MP3's on my bb while typing out some emails. :) took 2hrs.

imho, it's expensive but the convenience is priceless. no shopping needed,

no clean up, no recycling.

Have you changed you coolant before and are you planning to use Subaru coolant and conditioner. If not, recommend that you 1) undestand the change process as it's involved and you definitely don't want to end up with hot spots in the engine due to air in the system and 2) that you use Subaru coolant/conditioner to keep your aluminum alloys in good shape. After you change it out, let it idle for a good long time (30-45 mins) before driving to ensure that it's purged itself of any air pockets.

Change out the tranny and differential fluid with Subaru Extra-S gear oil for best synchro operation. See unclemat's link here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62614. Flush your brakes while you're at it.

These three are must do's at the 30K interval IMHO/E. They're cheap insurance and the coolant/conditioner in particular will help ward off issues with your head gaskets in the future.

As for the suspension upgrades, I'm completely with you on the sequencing, but can't answer your settings questions off the top of my head.

SBT

I agree 100% with the coolant, but the additive scared me and I did not use it. I was told it was more of a stop leak type of additive. All I did at 30 was diff oil front and rear, coolant, cleaned my K&N and an oil change.

I agree 100% with the coolant, but the additive scared me and I did not use it. I was told it was more of a stop leak type of additive. All I did at 30 was diff oil front and rear, coolant, cleaned my K&N and an oil change.

Check this article, and especially the last two bullets.

SBT

Coolant Cautions May05.pdf

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived