LegacyGT.com

5EAT Modifications...

mustang killer

just wanted to start this thread to discuss all the options we 5EAT owners have to improve the transmission. all i am aware of is the transmission cooler and the VB upgrade. that is all anyone ever talks about

what other options do we have. what are some strategies/modifications to protect the life of the transmission?

Synthetic ATF helps. Im using Amsoil ATF and changing it every 15,000 miles.

yes i have heard that Amsoil or Subaru ATF is the way to go for transmission fluid. i havent decided what i am going to use yet because i am only at 13k miles. i think i might just go with Subaru OEM ATF fluid with BG additive

I use SOA ATF with the BG Additive every 17K miles or less.

other than a fully built tranny, not sure if there's anything else we can do aside from the tranny cooler and VB mod. TC hasn't been cracked yet, I don't believe.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Can someone talk to me about the tranny cooler please?

I saw one made by zerosports and I found a couple other ones which I didn't write down -

Are they a good investment?

Who has em already and what is your opinion?

What do they cost?

How hard are they to install?

Thanks

Depending on your power level and how you use it, and after a VB upgrade on an otherwise perfect transmission, an upgraded torque converter would come next.

Stock torque converters are fine for stock power, but if full throttle starts or ANY brake holding is involved a modified TC will benefit in multiple ways. First, internal fins/blades loosen and housing distortion gradually degrades the stock unit. Taken to extremes this could mean mechanical failure and subsequent distruction of the transmission. This would entail significantly enhanced power levels and heavy, drag racing style, usage. It would also be more likely to happen to a stock TC on a fully built tranny..... don't do one without the other.

An upgraded TC will have had its internals furnace brazed as well as other strengthening modifications. Higher stall speeds are also typically speced, more tailored to the usage. In some car brands, driven too hard, your choices are either an upgraded TC or tranny destruction.

AMSOIL synthetic ATF is also, now, a better choice.

While it involved a THM400 and a 455..... been there, done that.

Can someone talk to me about the tranny cooler please?

I saw one made by zerosports and I found a couple other ones which I didn't write down -

Are they a good investment?

Who has em already and what is your opinion?

What do they cost?

How hard are they to install?

Thanks

I'm interested in this info too.

Hayden 677 tranny cooler can be had off ebay for approx $48 shipped, maybe less if you live closer than AK! :lol: awesome unit, been running mine for a year now and still track the car. it's going strong.

Given that I live in cold winters here in Nebraska, I think I'd rather go with a cooler that adapts to the actual temperature of the transmission. Forget the brand atm, but I know there is one that starts circulating the ATF through the radiator gradually as it warms up.

Given that I live in cold winters here in Nebraska, I think I'd rather go with a cooler that adapts to the actual temperature of the transmission. Forget the brand atm, but I know there is one that starts circulating the ATF through the radiator gradually as it warms up.

:lol: right.... in Alaska, I don't get cold winters here at all..... :rolleyes:

You people worry waaaaaay too much.

From the Hayden website:

Q. Can you over cool the transmission fluid?

A. Transmissions are not highly sensitive to cool operating temperatures. However, in sub-zero (20-30° F) weather conditions transmission fluid can actually gel up in an external cooler and cease to flow, causing damage. Use of the radiator cooler actually helps warm the fluid under these conditions. It is critical in extreme cold conditions to use the original equipment cooler in series with the auxiliary cooler and allow the vehicle to warm up before driving.

From the B&M Webiste:

B&M SuperCoolers are 100% aluminum construction and use stamped plates sandwiched together to create one of the most efficient oil cooling devices available. Not only does this unique design provide for maximized cooling through more efficient heat dissipation but it also provides a much sturdier cooler which is practically impervious to flying rocks or other debris. The Super-Coolers intended for automatic transmission fluid also offer an additional feature known as “Low Pressure Drop”. The coolers assembled with hose barb ends include a unique bypass feature allowing a controlled amount of ATF to bypass the stacked plate core when the fluid is cold. This is beneficial in cold climate areas to guard against lube system failure. Controlled by viscosity, fluid is returned directly to the lube circuit through bypass openings in the stacked plate core. As the temperature increases, more ATF is directed through the core. This highly efficient design combines improved protection against lube system failure with the required levels of optimal heat transfer.

Archived