Clutch issues... 05 LGT stock @ 43k miles

Admrl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what I noticed on my lunch.....

Cold idle is 900rmps

Warm idle is 700-750rpms

On a hill I would rev to about 1500rpms and let off the clutch at 1100-1200rmps. Going Straight I would rev to 1300rmps and let off the clutch peddle at around 900 -1000rpms.

sounds like you might have broken the marcel (sp?) spring and the dealer guys didn't want to warranty the repair. was it just a slipping problem or was there any weird binding in the pedal?

The clutch pedal was creaking, which i attributed to the car having sat at the airport in the cold garage for 4 days. It was also "shaking" when i lifted up on it. It definetely felt odd. That started before the slipping. Then it just got worse and worse...

How did you manage that? I've tried like hell to release the clutch as gently as I can at 900-1K rpms, and the damn thing violently stalls everytime. The only way I can get moving is to take off at around 1800-2000 rpms. I've driven manuals for decades, and this is the worst pos clutch I've ever seen.

more defective pressure plates.. I was lucky to get mine replaced under warranty.

On the way home tonight I spent the normal 45 min in traffic in my usual commute from work - since this was a topic in my head, I paid special attention to my rpms when starting out. Just to use Tommy P's info as a starting point of ref.

ECUTEK flash now has my "cold" rpm at 1800 and warm at 900

Normal launch (level ground) is just as I previously posted idle at 900, releasing the clutch until rpms start to drop, car starts to roll, add just a touch of gas to bring rpm up to 1000 and by then the clutch is full disengaged and I am under way. THEN I get ON IT!! The entire process actually happens pretty quickly - this is NOT a red light to red light race launch, this is (for me) a normal daily method.

I will say that getting used to the LGT clutch/rpm feel has taken a bit more....finesse but not nearly as bad as a couple of the full blown race set-ups I did on a couple of street legal (barley) Vetts I've had.

Anyway....this technique works for me and my driving style. Everyone has their own that works for them.

I don't drive the car everyday so I feel like I have to get into rhythym to not rev to high on take off after not driving for a couple of days. After a couple of stops I am much better.

Also, heavy work boots (for winter) do not help with the smoothness of keeping the rpms under 1500. For this clutch light shoes or sneakers work for me.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

For this clutch light shoes or sneakers work for me.

I know what you mean, shoes are so key for driving this stick. I have one pair of shoes that shifting just feels right, they are light but have a very stiff sole. I can't drive for crap with sneakers or boots, it has to be the rigth pair of shoes or I just can't feel the 'sweet spot'.:confused:

Try driving with size 13's. I have some pairs of shoes that i absolutely cant use, or i get two pedals at once. I learned to drive stick in a 76 MGB, and when i drive that car today, i have to do it barefoot or in socks. I have NO shoes that can catch the brake pedal without either the clutch or the gas. Ive physically held my shoes down there to see if they would fit, and they wont. Needless to say i drive this car rarely, lol.

Anyway, back to the story:

I got the car back today. 1748.48. Clutch feels COMPLETELY different. I hate it. I know itll wear in and go back to normal. But theres no feeling whatsoever in the pedal, and it grabs damn near on the floor. The fantastic news, is that the typical "shudder" that the car has had is gone. But from what ive read here, i can expect that to come back when it wears in, which is fantastic.

Now to get back on the horn with SOA, and get my money.... Sigh...

When I had my clutch replaced (stock) it felt the same as before I brought it in to the dealer. The grab point was about the same.

Hopefully, your clutch will feel better once it is broken-in.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

By the way, I meant to ask: You guys regularly rev to 2000 rpms as you let the clutch out to get going in 1st gear? Is that what is takes to get the car moving?

I do about 1500 in my Civic SI, and feel guilty about that, but I weigh 500 pounds less and drive two less wheels than you do.

Of course, I'm hoping my clutch lasts till over 100k. But, then again, I produce 139 lb/ft of torque...not exactly a clutch shredding performance.

Joe

I don't even rev the car to get going, I just let the clutch out and match with the gas pedal, smooth as butter.

Archived