LegacyGT.com

Clutch issues... 05 LGT stock @ 43k miles

Admrl

With any luck you will get reimbursed from subaru, I feel your pain brother, 1300 is a small fortune to come up with before Xmas. But with any luck you will get a break from SOA, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Regardless of the outcome, I think you should keep the car, you probably won't have to touch your tranny again after this while owning the car. You're motor should be in good shape or you would know (ie excessive oil consumption). With that in mind you have a good tranny and motor, should definitely get you to 100k w/o any other major failure except possibly the turbo and to replace that is 3 hours of labor and you can buy a used turbo on here with low miles for 300 bucks. There shouldn't be much too worry about after this.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, he's got a CPO warranty it appears. That'll cover you for awhile.

Tommy - I know Subaru covers clutch linings for 3yrs/36k miles on 08 LGTs; was this not the case with yours?

Looks like KingofParts offers an OEM clutch with spec lightened flywheel. Don't know how much this differs from stock, but it might be a good balance. Just a thought.

Anyway....just do it man :)

Joe

By the way, I meant to ask: You guys regularly rev to 2000 rpms as you let the clutch out to get going in 1st gear? Is that what is takes to get the car moving?

I do about 1500 in my Civic SI, and feel guilty about that, but I weigh 500 pounds less and drive two less wheels than you do.

Of course, I'm hoping my clutch lasts till over 100k. But, then again, I produce 139 lb/ft of torque...not exactly a clutch shredding performance.

Joe

Also, he's got a CPO warranty it appears. That'll cover you for awhile.

Tommy - I know Subaru covers clutch linings for 3yrs/36k miles on 08 LGTs; was this not the case with yours?

Looks like KingofParts offers an OEM clutch with spec lightened flywheel. Don't know how much this differs from stock, but it might be a good balance. Just a thought.

Anyway....just do it man :)

Joe

I never have had any tranny problems with my legacy(knock on wood), I had to replace the clutch/flywheel on my last car, which was a 97 prelude 5 speed.

I did the ACT clutch and flywheel and just hated the way the car hooked up afterward for daily driving. Obviously it was great for launchs but seeing how I rarely have the opportunity to launch it was totally not the right set up for me. If my car would have been a weekend warrior than I wouldn't have cared as much about the way the car hooked up. But it was a daily driver, just too rough for me, an upgraded clutch will be stiffer than stock for sure, you could probably find a clutch that won't differ much from stock in its feel but the flywheel and the way your car revs is what will effect you getting jerky shifts off the line in stop and go traffic, if you went with an aftermarket fly wheel and daily drive in rush hour, I would look for the heaviest aftermarket flywheel you can find. If you can't find a flywheel that is in the upper teens in weight(lbs), I would be very hestitant to put an aftermarket flywheel on. The one I had on my prelude was 13.9lbs flywheel and my car just reved way to easy, it was annoying getting it off the line in stop and go traffic.

By the way, I meant to ask: You guys regularly rev to 2000 rpms as you let the clutch out to get going in 1st gear? Is that what is takes to get the car moving?

It does, with awd getting off the line, out of boost, you have no torque. I don't rev to 2k but in that ball park usually 1850, 1900. The rev is definitely higher than it was on my prelude to get off the line with some power and not crawling off the line like I would be if I let of the clutch at 1400, 1500rpm.

I dont rev it to 2k all the time, im just saying... Its NEVER been "launched" or "dumped" in the entire time ive had it. I just have no interest in it.

I have an old firebird for when i want to beat on something and throw rubber around.

My bad on the proces... I thought you were saying 699 plus the 289. Oopsie.

Its not even christmas im worried about. Personal circumstance just means this happened at the worst effing time EVER.

Im in the middle of trying to close on a house by myself, having to pay a rediculous rent because last week my (now) ex took off after secretly buying a house on her own, and i just got back from a business trip that sapped my account until i get reimbursed.

I got off the plane, got in the car... Clutch toast. Talkin about gettin hit when yer down.

I dont rev it to 2k all the time, im just saying... Its NEVER been "launched" or "dumped" in the entire time ive had it. I just have no interest in it.

I have an old firebird for when i want to beat on something and throw rubber around.

My bad on the proces... I thought you were saying 699 plus the 289. Oopsie.

Its not even christmas im worried about. Personal circumstance just means this happened at the worst effing time EVER.

Im in the middle of trying to close on a house by myself, having to pay a rediculous rent because last week my (now) ex took off after secretly buying a house on her own, and i just got back from a business trip that sapped my account until i get reimbursed.

I got off the plane, got in the car... Clutch toast. Talkin about gettin hit when yer down.

Damn Dude, when it rains it pours. Keep your head up, seems like there's never a convenient time for things to go financially wrong unfortunately. The lady leaving before christmas just adds salt to the wound, I see why you're not worried about having to buy an expensive gift. I hope things get better for you with the car and your whole situation.

Well... SOA immediately offered up 50% of the repair costs... As a reimbursement. I almost want to call them back and tell them they can pay parts, and ill pay labor, but im afraid to push my luck.

I'll suck it up. 800 is better than 1600, for sure.... :(

I have to say, i miss my car.

My rental is a Mazda 6. Has the autostick whatever, which is alright. Has 5 gears at least, compared to the 2.5i's 4EAT. But God, its not the same car. I hate the layout of the interior, and FWD blows. Seating position sucks too.

I drove FWD all year every year for 8 years, but since having a Subaru im spoiled, lol...

I have to say, i miss my car.

My rental is a Mazda 6. Has the autostick whatever, which is alright. Has 5 gears at least, compared to the 2.5i's 4EAT. But God, its not the same car. I hate the layout of the interior, and FWD blows. Seating position sucks too.

I drove FWD all year every year for 8 years, but since having a Subaru im spoiled, lol...

The rental could have been a lot worse. I just got my car back last week after not having it for 3 weeks, some d-bag hit me while I was sitting at redlight stopped waiting to for a green arrow to turn left. While my car was in the shop, I had a Chevy HHR rental, definitely the crappiest car on the road, slow, handles like crap, looks like crap inside and out, is uncomfortable, the list goes on. I would have killed for the Mazda for those 3 weeks;)

If the clutch and assembly is all you replace consider yourself lucky. My clutch went at 46k and i was driving normal and then smoke came out of the hood. The throughout bearing eat into the casing and i had to replace the transmission casing!!! that was an extra $1k. with that being said i switched to spec 2+ and lightweight fly. I have an entirely stock engine and i would not recoment the 2+, but i want 300whp so it will work out eventually for me. I plan on changing my clutch real early like in 45k miles again to avoid eating into the case. Also if you get the spec 2+ the pedal feels worlds better, but it grabs so hard it jolts the engine, so I am going to get the dogbone and tranny mount to prevent this. I wish i would have gone spec 1 instead

Okay, i just want to make sure im getting this right.

So i bought an AWD car (my third one), but the frist with a turbo. So everytime i take off from a traffic light or stop sign, i do so at 2k RPM's or less.

I hate to point this out but this might be the root cause of your accelerated clutch wear. I tend to engage my clutch at 900 RPM when pulling away from a stop. Our flywheel is so damn heavy you don't need to spin up the motor to get going. If I were to slip my clutch from 2k, it would stink like hell (early 05).

Doesn't the car idle at 750rpm? My car would crawl off the line if I let of the clutch at 900rpm, and I've heard so much about the clutch stink, but I've only smelled it a couple of times since I've owned the car. Maybe I'm one of the lucky 05 owners...

Noob to the site but not to MT (been driving them for 40yrs) - granted I've only been in my 2006 LGT 5MT for a few weeks and I live in the "flat lands" of Tampa, but in normal driving all I have ever needed to start at has been at 1000 rpms or less.

Like I indicated in my intro, I just had the ECUTEK flash done and the idle was bumped up to 900. Now all I need to do is just think about it and go. Again, this is in "normal" traffic and not from an up-hill start or trying to beat anybody to the next light.

I will try it out on my lunch today, I've never paid that close attention to what rpm I'm letting off the clutch given being on a hill or going down hill, or a straight line. I will monitor my rpms off the line and post what I find with my car.

I hate to point this out but this might be the root cause of your accelerated clutch wear. I tend to engage my clutch at 900 RPM when pulling away from a stop. Our flywheel is so damn heavy you don't need to spin up the motor to get going. If I were to slip my clutch from 2k, it would stink like hell (early 05).

How did you manage that? I've tried like hell to release the clutch as gently as I can at 900-1K rpms, and the damn thing violently stalls everytime. The only way I can get moving is to take off at around 1800-2000 rpms. I've driven manuals for decades, and this is the worst pos clutch I've ever seen.

Sorry for the confusion... I write 2k or less as to indicate that i never rev it up and dump it. Im not saying its actually at 2k everytime i leave the line. Its usually whatever it takes just to get that low note shudder and for the car to move. I get off the clutch pretty wuickly before applying more power to the accelerator, too. Im typically low enough in the RPM range that itll come close to a stall now and again.

Even when im doing what i consider driving hard, its never off the line. Its once im completely out of the clutch, ill get on it.

Its never had a smell whatsoever, until the day it gave up the ghost.

How did you manage that? I've tried like hell to release the clutch as gently as I can at 900-1K rpms, and the damn thing violently stalls everytime. The only way I can get moving is to take off at around 1800-2000 rpms. I've driven manuals for decades, and this is the worst pos clutch I've ever seen.

My tip-in and FIBET are correctly adjusted so I don't lean out every time there is pedal movement or load changes. I can put the car in gear and just let out the clutch without applying gas (slow, but possible).

:confused:

I start at right around 1k rpm all the time. You can get the car moving without any throttle without riding the clutch in my experience. That said, it depends upon what kind of launch I'm looking for.

Archived