LegacyGT.com

Cobb AP or Ecutek?

izzy

utec can be used to configure a number of safety items, for example it can detect knock and automatically retard your timing, it can be configured for a boost cut, etc. How is ECU any better in this (assuming same sensors are used)?

Another great feature of UTEC - it flashes your CEL every time knock is detected. Hence, you can pull over right away or change your map any time you see persisting knock. In the case of ECU, you will not even know your car is knocking, unless you data log 100% of a time (like i do).

I know that the UTEC stores knock events in RAM, but how does (or does it) compensate globally for say a bad tank of gas? Esentially, does it have an equivalnet saftey net of dropping IAM? How does it reset?

I know that the UTEC stores knock events in RAM, but how does (or does it) compensate globally for say a bad tank of gas? Esentially, does it have an equivalnet saftey net of dropping IAM? How does it reset?

utec does not have a learning capability... it will retard timing when knock is detected... it gives you a variety of configurable options, such as retard timing for X number of cycles or across the whole map, etc.

If you do have a bad tank of gas, your best bet is to switch to a safer map (you can store up to 5 maps & switch on the fly)... since utec flashes CEL when knock occurs, driver will be able to notice it right away... i feel this is still safer than to rely on ecu's learning, and not knowing when the knock actually occurs...

There is really no good reason to purchase an Ecutek license unless you own an 07. Interface and tuning wise Ecutek is not much different than Opensource tuning. However, Ecutek is first to market with a tuning solution for the 07+ CAN bus cars. Tim Bailey from Surgeline Tuning called me the other day to say that he is expecting delivery of an 07 CAN bus cable from Ecutek any day, so for the impatient that is good enough reason to pick Ecutek right there. Cost wise, you can get a custom tuned map via an Ecutek flash for what it costs to just buy an AccessPort. You will be paying extra for custom tuned maps on your AP. Considering that the average cost of a custom tune is about $400, that is not an insignificant difference in cost. However, with the AP, you do have the handy little handheld programmer and the ability to run realtime maps, and switch basemaps without busting out your laptop. AP also allows tuners to make changes in realtime, which makes tuning sessions faster and easier, which saves you money in tuning costs. You can also remove and resell you AP, while you cannot remove an Ecutek license from your ECU for resale.

So for 07+ guys who only want one map and plan to keep their cars for while, Ecutek makes sense. Otherwise, a Cobb AP is a better bet.

However, with the AP, you do have the handy little handheld programmer and the ability to run realtime maps, and switch basemaps without busting out your laptop.

Not that I like to quote myself, but I did just say exactly that one post above ;)

my 07 is ecuteked. you can run 3 different maps with Si drive. i have a 5eat but Ben(ecutek) sais the 07 software could do launch control and flat foot shifting. i was one of the first 07's tuned and the first 5eat tuned in north america. not that that means anything. but i keep in touch with 4 original guys tuned and everything is fine i was told that the ecutek could be unmarried to the ecu by ecutek

If you search, this is the topic of a religious war on this forum. But it basically boils down to the fact the AP is more flexible in what you can do with it (diff maps, change on the fly, revert back to stock yourself) but the ecutek is usually more tailored to your car (custom tuner, software, which usually nets more power over a generic ap map or 'street tune'). SI drive works w/ the ecutek and you can have 3 separate maps for each mode.

Either way you go, the car will be loads more fun than how it was. :lol:

...and FWIW, I'm ecutek'd.

If you search, this is the topic of a religious war on this forum. But it basically boils down to the fact the AP is more flexible in what you can do with it (diff maps, change on the fly, revert back to stock yourself) but the ecutek is usually more tailored to your car (custom tuner, software, which usually nets more power over a generic ap map or 'street tune'). SI drive works w/ the ecutek and you can have 3 separate maps for each mode.

Either way you go, the car will be loads more fun than how it was. :lol:

...and FWIW, I'm ecutek'd.

+1 Great answer

And I believe it's $750.

KevinH

• 3 weeks later...
Bull or Equinoxx-

Do you have any dyno charts to post from your ecutek tune? Have either of you tried to make the I mode an economy mode and had any success?

I posted most of the info when i got it done here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66712

As for a true 'economy' mode, i can hit about 25mpg if i keep it in mode for a full tank and drive it out of boost. In it's more around the realm of 19-20mpg (but its also easier to get into boost).

Archived