LegacyGT.com

Cobb AP or Ecutek?

izzy

i have EcuTek on my 05 and my buddy has it on his 07. Its def more of a custom tune unlike AP but AP is easier to work with

Ecutek is no more custom tuned than Cobb, just that when you purchase the license it is only good for that ECU.

ecutek has a real time tuning capability too...

AP is probably a better product, as you can remove the tune prior to taking your car to a dealer, etc.

if you do not care whether subbie dealer knows about your mods, and have ecutek dealer in the area.... then ecutek might be a good choice too... cheaper (of course no resale value)... locks your ecu, thus subbie dealer can not read or overwrite it, thus can't mess things up for you.... and as long as you have ecutek dealer close by, you can always go back to flash car back to stock or get a re-tune etc. you will prolly get more HP out of ecutek, because you will mostly likely have a custom tune.... of course you can get a custom tune done using AP too... in that case power will be same (assuming the same tuner does a tune)...

look into utec delta too (you can get used one w/ remote map switch for around $350)... it has a lot of benefits and does not require a re-flash of your stock ecu... utec also has its limitations though... i am planning on using UTEC + Openecu (when become available for 07+)....

the fourth option is a reflash tool from obdtool dot org... it uses software called xidash.... looks very similar to ecutek... i think there were even some legal battles re: copyright laws.... either way the tool from obdtool is cheap and works... copyright issue is his problem, not consumers'... the only catch i do not know if it works on 07+ yet...

Ecutek is no more custom tuned than Cobb, just that when you purchase the license it is only good for that ECU.

True, ECUTek is only good for your ECU...but AP uses generic maps (Stage 1, 2, etc..) purchased from COBB. Not truly specific for your car. ECUTek, with a good tuner can get a better, more custom tune.

Pros and cons for both.

KevinH

AP is probably a better product, as you can remove the tune prior to taking your car to a dealer, etc.

Speaking of this... I am planning to do an AP stage 1 as soon as it is released for the '07 LGT. I have already had the dealer do an ECU reflash to fix "the stutter" (it didn't help). If I remove the AP tune before bringing it back to the dealer for service, does it revert to the original stock program, or to the post-reflash program? In other words, does the AP read and save the program that is currently installed on your car, or does it just use a generic map that is pre-loaded onto the AP?

I'm just wondering if the dealer would find it suspicious that their reflash mysteriously reverted to stock!

Speaking of this... I am planning to do an AP stage 1 as soon as it is released for the '07 LGT. I have already had the dealer do an ECU reflash to fix "the stutter" (it didn't help). If I remove the AP tune before bringing it back to the dealer for service, does it revert to the original stock program, or to the post-reflash program? In other words, does the AP read and save the program that is currently installed on your car, or does it just use a generic map that is pre-loaded onto the AP?

I'm just wondering if the dealer would find it suspicious that their reflash mysteriously reverted to stock!

when you marry AP w/ your ECU, AP makes a backup of your original image

if you were to take a car to a dealer (when AP is married), and dealer flashes your ecu then you SOL, as AP will not recognize your ECU, and you will need to send AP back to Cobb and pay $$ to unmarry it...

if you unmarry it before taking the car to the dealer, you will have an original ecu image on the car... if dealer reflashes your original, then you can connect AP and marry it again... AP will make a backup of your current image (the one that dealer just flashed)

hope this helps

True, ECUTek is only good for your ECU...but AP uses generic maps (Stage 1, 2, etc..) purchased from COBB. Not truly specific for your car. ECUTek, with a good tuner can get a better, more custom tune.

Pros and cons for both.

No. You get off-the-shelf maps when you buy AP but it can be protuned and give the same results as EcuTeK. The tune is a result of the tuner, not the software.

ecutek has a real time tuning capability too...

if you do not care whether subbie dealer knows about your mods, and have ecutek dealer in the area.... then ecutek might be a good choice too... cheaper (of course no resale value)... locks your ecu, thus subbie dealer can not read or overwrite it, thus can't mess things up for you.... and as long as you have ecutek dealer close by, you can always go back to flash car back to stock or get a re-tune etc. you will prolly get more HP out of ecutek, because you will mostly likely have a custom tune.... of course you can get a custom tune done using AP too... in that case power will be same (assuming the same tuner does a tune)...

look into utec delta too (you can get used one w/ remote map switch for around $350)... it has a lot of benefits and does not require a re-flash of your stock ecu... utec also has its limitations though... i am planning on using UTEC + Openecu (when become available for 07+)....

the fourth option is a reflash tool from obdtool dot org... it uses software called xidash.... looks very similar to ecutek... i think there were even some legal battles re: copyright laws.... either way the tool from obdtool is cheap and works... copyright issue is his problem, not consumers'... the only catch i do not know if it works on 07+ yet...

I don't believe EcuTeK has real time tuning. At my last dyno tuning session, that was one of the big advantages of the AP. Much faster tuning vs my EcuTeK which had to be reflashed at every change.

Where did you find UTEC delta with the remote map switch for $350? That's an absolute steal.

when you marry AP w/ your ECU, AP makes a backup of your original image

if you were to take a car to a dealer (when AP is married), and dealer flashes your ecu then you SOL, as AP will not recognize your ECU, and you will need to send AP back to Cobb and pay $$ to unmarry it...

if you unmarry it before taking the car to the dealer, you will have an original ecu image on the car... if dealer reflashes your original, then you can connect AP and marry it again... AP will make a backup of your current image (the one that dealer just flashed)

hope this helps

So if I am understanding you and Infamous1 correctly, the AP does not come preloaded with a stock map that it reloads onto your ECU when you unmarry it, it just backs up whatever map was on your car immediately before you marry it? In other words, if I unmarry the AP, my car will revert to the dealer's last reflash?

I don't believe EcuTeK has real time tuning. At my last dyno tuning session, that was one of the big advantages of the AP. Much faster tuning vs my EcuTeK which had to be reflashed at every change.

Where did you find UTEC delta with the remote map switch for $350? That's an absolute steal.

Ecutek offers real time tuning, see below info from their site:" The screen shot above shows the live user tuning window of DeltaDash. From here, you can alter various engine parameters in real time - that's while the engine is running ".

I do not believe they allow you to switch between different real time maps though.

I got UTEC form nasioc.... it came from 07 sti, and all i needed to do was to flash new firmware from turboxs... the seller also through in end links for free (which i sold on ebay), thus the final price was $360 (utec + switch) minus $80 (sale of endlinks) = $280 for utec shipped...

these things have bad resale value... however, if you buy a used one, you can come out pretty good... i really do not understand why 07 & 08s did not jump on them a year ago...

So if I am understanding you and Infamous1 correctly, the AP does not come preloaded with a stock map that it reloads onto your ECU when you unmarry it, it just backs up whatever map was on your car immediately before you marry it? In other words, if I unmarry the AP, my car will revert to the dealer's last reflash?

Yes it will reload your car's current rom.

correct

Ecutek offers real time tuning, see below info from their site:" The screen shot above shows the live user tuning window of DeltaDash. From here, you can alter various engine parameters in real time - that's while the engine is running ".

I do not believe they allow you to switch between different real time maps though.

I got UTEC form nasioc.... it came from 07 sti, and all i needed to do was to flash new firmware from turboxs... the seller also through in end links for free (which i sold on ebay), thus the final price was $360 (utec + switch) minus $80 (sale of endlinks) = $280 for utec shipped...

these things have the pretty bad resale value... however, if you buy a used one, you can come out pretty good... i really do not get why 07 & 08s did not jump on them a year ago...

I already have EcuTeK. If I was to add meth inj. I'd put UTEC Delta on top of it.

This is correct for AP V.2 only.

The Ecu would still be giving the safety margin. The UTEC would run with the meth. If the pump went, ran out of fluid, etc. I could take the UTEC out of the loop and run my EcuTeK'd ECU. So I'd get my EcuTeK'd ECU tuned as is then have the UTEC Delta tuned for meth only.

The Ecu would still be giving the safety margin. The UTEC would run with the meth. If the pump went, ran out of fluid, etc. I could take the UTEC out of the loop and run my EcuTeK'd ECU. So I'd get my EcuTeK'd ECU tuned as is then have the UTEC Delta tuned for meth only.

So instead of referencing boost or MAF to trigger the meth activation, you would be triggering your meth system from the UTEC after the crossover?

Why not just reflash the ECU to handle the meth injection? Why give up the safety margin the ECU offers?

utec can be used to configure a number of safety items, for example it can detect knock and automatically retard your timing, it can be configured for a boost cut, etc. How is ECU any better in this (assuming same sensors are used)?

Another great feature of UTEC - it flashes your CEL every time knock is detected. Hence, you can pull over right away or change your map any time you see persisting knock. In the case of ECU, you will not even know your car is knocking, unless you data log 100% of a time (like i do).

Archived