LegacyGT.com

Ball Joints worn by 60K ????

Smoker324

Got a call this AM from my mechanic -- who I am pretty sure I can trust.

Says balljoints need replacing. 2005 Legacygt ltd w/62000 on the clock.

Seems kinda soon to me - and I drive tamely most of the time.

Anyone have a comment?

Then I got the special "rare" ones -- because I am looking at them on my desk right now and they are certainly worn. I think the mechanic jumped the gun a bit and they could have lasted another 15-20K, but they were well past 3/4 of their useful life. This surprises me because these joints should not just go at this point.

Also found (and confirmed by my own eyes) were bilateral control arm bushing tears, 2 slightly out of round alloy rims and 1 leaky strut.

The control arm bushes, strut and ball joint wear should have been caught by the dealer at the 50K service -- only 12K ago. The contol arm bushes seem to be a common problem, the strut is only wet and not actually dripping fluid yet and the BJ's were replaced as were the tires. I know that I have not been in any situations that would bend the wheels. I can't remember the last time I hit a bad pothole or curb. I am the only driver of the car and am on the back 9 in life.

I must say, as much as I love this car, I am a bit dissapointed that these failures are present at 60k.

Also the steering will not completely center -- what would cause this? Only replacement items were bj's and tires?

-Dan C.

Wow sorry to hear about your woes with your car. I have to say that although my experience with the dealer I go to for servicing has been good they are not proactive about looking for problems or items wearing on the car. I have been the one to bring items like that to their attention to check, to research TSB's for problem items on the car and bring those in to have those items checked and repaired.

I hear ya bigbad -- that's why I'm not sreaming for their scalp -- I should have brought it in -- but quite frankly had great service with them and assumed nothing was wrong....

That being said, now knowing what I do about the torn control arm bushings -- they should have known that was an issue and taken care of it when it was still in warranty.

I just went out of warrant 800 miles ago too....

Now I'm looking to upgrade those bushes.... hmmmm

Archived