LegacyGT.com

Do the Subys go on the dyno for inspection?

Yes...there are no AWD dynos here in NYS. So you can pass a sniffer test w/o cats. But keep in mind that NYS inspection is supposed to begin using OBD II scanning in 2005. This will pick up any CELs that may have been caused by "modifications" of your exhuast system.

[quote name='Deer Killer']Eh, say what? How are you supposed to tell when you have codes thrown?[/QUOTE] Good point. Maybe I misunderstood COBB, but I know the AP does have a CEL elimination function. I sent COBB another email for clarification.

No need for dyno testing. That is done to all vehicles manufactured before 1996 that are not equipped with the OBD-II (On Board Diagnostics 2). For these newer cars all they do is hook up the computer to the OBD-2 port and read some emission sensors values. They still check the gasoline tank for additives and what not but they will not ask you to depart your car and go in the booth. They ask you to sit in the passenger seat while they do the testing...which lasts a minute ? (Illinois). I think you are concerned a bit too much with emission testing on a 2005 car. Not until 2010 will you have to worry...and most likely it will be computerized emissions check. I think it ain't hard to retro-fit a lane for AWD cars with a special dyno.

I find this totally hard to believe, NO AWD DYNO's in NY, the richest town in the World, sorry but find that hard to believe. Im sure as American's embrace the AWD system compaired to their "Yank Tank" American RWD cars, more and more AWD Dyno's will be popping up. For Ppl in the NYC area and State, if you really want to get your car on a AWD Dyno, give the yellow pages a look and look for some Jap Tuners in the area, I would be almost certain that those guys would have them for sure. If anyone hears of any in NYC or even anywhere in the States please post. Thanks. Adam.

[quote name='agctr']I find this totally hard to believe, NO AWD DYNO's in NY, the richest town in the World, sorry but find that hard to believe. Im sure as American's embrace the AWD system compaired to their "Yank Tank" American RWD cars, more and more AWD Dyno's will be popping up. For Ppl in the NYC area and State, if you really want to get your car on a AWD Dyno, give the yellow pages a look and look for some Jap Tuners in the area, I would be almost certain that those guys would have them for sure. If anyone hears of any in NYC or even anywhere in the States please post. Thanks. Adam.[/QUOTE] I think you misunderstood, the DMV (Read: Department of Motor Vehicles) in NY does not have any AWD Dynos at their inspection facilities - this would mean the state government would have to spend money - HA. Tuners most certainly do.

Please be careful when getting any AWD car inspected at a state inspection facility. I used to own a modified 90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. I went to the NJ State Inspection facility. I explained to the guy that this is an AWD car and can not go on the 2WD dyno. I then told another person just to be on the safe side. So they make you wait in this little glass room to watch the inspection process. I see them test all the lights, look underneath the car.. ect. Then I see them drive the car a few feet. I thought to myself.. no way they will be putting the car on the dyno. So I run out to the guy and asked him WTF his is doing. This is after he just put the car in 1rst gear and started to push the gas pedal. He said we have to dyno it. I of course yelled at the guy and explained once agin this car is AWD. His reply.. "Sorry I forgot!". So they end up running a sniffer at ~ 2500 RPM. The exhaust went straight out the o2 housing and never slowed down. I replaced the race pipe for a nice high flow CAT. Great for inspections. :) Word to the wise.. Be very carefull at state inspections.

[size=2][size=2]Just to add to the FYI,[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2] Maryland Emissions inspection stations have AWD dynos, and they still put post '96 vehicles on the Dyno and test them. They usually don't have the AWD lane open, and sometimes the AWD dyno is out of service. I've had this happen before with my Land Rover, and got a tailpipe sniff instead, after 10 minutes of trying to explain to them that I could not take it out of 4WD. I had half a mind to lock the center differential and let the guy run over the fan system when the truck jumped off the dyno, but...[/size] [/size][size=2][/size] [size=2]__________________ ~Scott & Nadia '05 Outback 2.5i Wagon Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic 225/60HR16 BFG Traction T/A's[/size]

[quote name='franklin']Anyone know if Pennsylvania exempts AWD cars. Would this apply to AWD / 4WD trucks?[/QUOTE] They do in Chester and Philadlephia Countys at least. MY stickers have a bold EXEMPT through them (over the month and year). As for the person who was referring to cat bypass - there is still a visual inspection most places. I also think PA is going to an OBD-only scan for newer vehicles, no more dyno. I'm not a DMV employee though, so don't quote me on any of that.

[quote name='darkstar']I think you misunderstood, the DMV (Read: Department of Motor Vehicles) in NY does not have any AWD Dynos at their inspection facilities - this would mean the state government would have to spend money - HA. Tuners most certainly do.[/QUOTE] My Bad, duly noted. Thanks Adam.

Thanks Moriarty-- I live in Bucks County. Guess that Ill have to confirm at an inspection station. BTW Do you guys know that PA. only has emissions testing for SOME counties? Most of the state does NOT get emission tested just cities and areas around the cities. If you live outside these areas NO Emissions test at all. Our Government at work.

Entire state of Michigan has no type of testing what-so-ever. No sniffer, no dyno, no OBDII plug. They mail your regs, you walkin, show insurance - here's your tags. Gotta love the Motor City.:D

It's Michigan, of corse they will have the most leaniant inspections. Back in the day it was all about muscle and power out there and the residents are most likley to be reluctant to change.

Btw does anyone know about the CT inspections they are putting in place?

So even if they don’t dino your car they are still going to do a visual inspection, right? At this point they will notice there is no cat, right?

that may vary by state. from what i've seen in here IL, with an AWD vehicle sporting OBDII, they just plug in, check for codes. if all is well, they hand you your papers and send you on your way.

Archived