LegacyGT.com

Worst service experience. Ever.

Edited:

I took my Subaru, of 7200 miles in to get my tires rotated for the first time on Wednesday. Driving it home it felt like my car was pulling to the right. I didn't think too much of it because I thought it was the wind, although it felt kind of weird. I took it out again on Thursday night- my steering wheel was shakey over 50 mph, and my car was definately pulling to the right a lot. The next day I took it to the Subaru dealer who originally did the rotation and test drove. The service lady came out telling me that it was unbalanced on one side by 1 oz. and 14 something ???? on the other side? (I never had problems before the rotation, but there was no way I can prove it was the factory) and since it was a maintenance service I had to pay for it. I waited 1 hour and half, a pretty long time just for the balance (I thought). When I got into the car, for the 8 miles they test drove, it averaged 17.1 mpg. Even when I pushed my car, at 18 miles it averaged 23 to 24mpg. Maybe I'm over reacting but I thought I shouldn't have paid for the balance and 17.1 is a bit low for 8 miles on the highway. What do you guys think?

Im not too sure what you are saying...you think they abused your car on the test drive? I think it would be very hard to prove it.

BUT if you want to raise some ruckus call SOA and complain about the dealership. It seems most dealerships hate that and they get a poor remark on their report card.

Im not too sure what you are saying...you think they abused your car on the test drive? I think it would be very hard to prove it.

BUT if you want to raise some ruckus call SOA and complain about the dealership. It seems most dealerships hate that and they get a poor remark on their report card.

Well, all I am saying is that, my car shouldn't have those issues since it has such low miles and with the way I've been babying it. And how they treated it during then test is just unacceptable. Seriously, 17 mpg in 8 miles? How many of you guys have gotten that? How badly were you pushing your car?

I will call the manager on their next business day, but I will contact the BBB if nothing is done.

One day after service I walked up to the car, before I got the the rear quarter I could smell clutch stink.. I got inside and it was hard to even breathe it was so bad. The car had obviously been launched from something near redline. Clutch was all messed up and took a while to smooth back out.

At least they don't give me shit about my mods..

One day after service I walked up to the car, before I got the the rear quarter I could smell clutch stink.. I got inside and it was hard to even breathe it was so bad. The car had obviously been launched from something near redline. Clutch was all messed up and took a while to smooth back out.

At least they don't give me shit about my mods..

Are you serious?? What did you do?

i wouldnt worry about them driving it hard, but a wheel being off 1 once is enough to make a noticable vibration and not a pull of any kind. 14 grams? the like 1/4 once. not really anything noticeable. 14 onces? thats a whole heck of a lot. let us know whats up

I mean they fixed everything. I am just not happy with how everything went down. I mean every car owner baby's their rides or cherish it. When some young mofo takes it for a joy ride, any owner would be pissed. That is just not right you know? What if I took that kid's car and beat the hell out it. You know? I am determined to f- their rep up. Lets see if their manager will step up.

I believe there was a string of expletives, a slight pause, and driving away..

??? Did you take any futher actions..

??? Did you take any futher actions..

No.. it didn't make any sense for me:

1. I can take my modded car there and have problems with warranty.

2. I have a almost new flywheel/clutch assembly sitting in my garage.

3. Will probably want to upgrade that foul smelling POS anyway..

4. Nothing appear to be broken.

Had I been a normal customer I would have gone apeshit.

No.. it didn't make any sense for me:

1. I can take my modded car there and have problems with warranty.

2. I have a almost new flywheel/clutch assembly sitting in my garage.

3. Will probably want to upgrade that foul smelling POS anyway..

4. Nothing appear to be broken.

Had I been a normal customer I would have gone apeshit.

I have been a regular customers to these guys. But today was the first time I decied to set my tripodometer back to 0. And it was bad news.. I would gone apeshit regardeless regular or not. You have some major patience/tolerance sir.

Why dont you "bug" your car. You can get a small digital recorder and mic extension really cheap. Its your property and you can do anything you want with it. And if you want to play it safe you can always "Joke" per se and say something like, "beware, my car listens to everything you say"

This is the reason I don't go to mechanics anymore.

As long as nothing is broken I would let it pass BUT I would also NEVER go back there except for warranty work (which they get paid a lower rate I believe) and not go there for ANY maint. work.

Maint. is pretty easy to do yourself, bribe a friend with promises of pizza and beer to do for you or just take to a good independent mechanic.

I got screwed one too many times by all mechanics that I decided to just do all work myself from now on though.

I'm not sure how the avg mpg thing works, but does it take into account it the car is left idling for a loong time?? Maybe it's not feasible to use that much fuel, but it is possible that they let it idle in the shop for a little while to warm up, took it for a "spirited" test drive and let it idle some more when they got back.

Also if they had to pull it into the bay to change tires, move it back out, move it again to fit another car..... etc all that start and stop will drop your mpg ALOT. I just went through a festival light display (oh what fun :rolleyes:) and got 14mpg for the 3 mile trip and 8 miles of regular driving to get there, and beleive me I didn't abuse my car at all.

I just hate it when everyone assumes the dealership is out to get them... .granted there are reasons why these assumptions are made and sterotypes become steroptypes for a reason, but there also logical reasons to the opposite.

I'm not sure how the avg mpg thing works, but does it take into account it the car is left idling for a loong time?? Maybe it's not feasible to use that much fuel, but it is possible that they let it idle in the shop for a little while to warm up, took it for a "spirited" test drive and let it idle some more when they got back.

Also if they had to pull it into the bay to change tires, move it back out, move it again to fit another car..... etc all that start and stop will drop your mpg ALOT. I just went through a festival light display (oh what fun :rolleyes:) and got 14mpg for the 3 mile trip and 8 miles of regular driving to get there, and beleive me I didn't abuse my car at all.

I just hate it when everyone assumes the dealership is out to get them... .granted there are reasons why these assumptions are made and sterotypes become steroptypes for a reason, but there also logical reasons to the opposite.

I know what you mean, but they just haven't been very stand up with me, and you think they would notice something wasn't right when they took my car for a test drive the first time.

I'm not sure how y'all do it but the only time our car is out of my site is if/when I have to leave it at the shop and drive off with a loaner for owner. I always ask permission to go into the bay where our car is to be serviced and our mechanics have been real good to answer any questions that have come to mind. I don't envision any of them "thrashing" our car, or anyone elses for that matter. On the other hand mechanics are people too and they can be irratable or have a bad day or have something on their mind that/which can cause them to forget to perform a service correctly. That's 1 of the reasons I'm usually right there with ours......keeping an eye on her......

Now 1 experience I had at a state inspection station where, inspite of my being outside the work area just to keep an eye on her as usual, I was asked to go to the waiting room. Guess what, I simply asked for my keys back and drove right out of there. If folks don't want me to see or watch whilst they're in/with our car,

our car doesn't belong in that shop......peace

I took my Subaru, of 7200 miles in to get my tires rotated on Wednesday. Driving it home it felt like my car was pulling to the right. I didn't think too much of it because I thought it was the wind, although it felt kind of weird. I took it out again on Thursday night- my steering wheel was shakey over 50 mph, and my car was definately pulling to the right a lot. The next day I took it to Brooklyn Park Subaru who originally did the rotation. The serivce lady came out telling me that it was unbalanced on one side by 1 oz. and 14 something ???? on the other side? and since it was a maintenance serivce I had to pay for it and waited 1 hour and half, (althougth I never had problems with it, before rotating it to the front, btw my car is like my baby, I've never abused it, or hit any pot holes) [and yes, I am aware that you wouldn't feel faulty tires in the rear]. So I ended up paying for the tires balance, but when I got into the car, for the 8 miles they drove testing the balance, it averaged 17.1 mpg. Even when I put "the petal to the metal", at 18 miles it averaged 23 to 24mpg. So wtf?? When I went inside the service dpt. the lady offered to call the person who drove my car for the test- but what the **** would that have done??? So what would be the next step I should take? I think they have f-ed me over! What would you next?

As angry as you may be, it is very possible that they just let your car idle a long time before or after driving it. I've had much worse service experiences from GM on my last car.

Well, I dunno about worst experience ever... But one time I took my car to a Nissan-affiliated bodyshop and amongst other problems too numerous to list was this this little piece of heaven:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/bolt1.jpg

I heard a clicking sound as I set off driving but didn't have time to worry about it because my dashboard was dead and it was at night... Swapped to the spare tire in a walmart parking lot, and then drove home.

The next day I took it back and demanded they fix the tire (and the dash etc). I got a rental for the day, then went to pick it up again that night.

As soon as I set off I heard that familiar clicking...

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/bolt2.jpg

The first bolt must have been lonely so he brought a friend.

That video is so f***** up, I went to the Honda dealer once to get my alignment done, step outside to have a smoke and I could hear my car getting the crap driven out of it a block away.(I had an accord I/H/E, totally distinct sound on my v6) when the tech rolled up to honda with my car as soon as he stepped out of my car I walk and tell him, sweet ride, looked like it was fun driving. He had a big grin on his face, "Oh ya, that car has some balls!" I then told him I'm the owner of the vehicle and I hope you enjoyed the joy ride, it will be last time you ever drive my car again to say the least.:mad: I went postal, I cussed him out, told him to get the service manager, went off on him. I got a free alignment out of the deal, but I never went back. F***ers!

I took my Prelude into NTB about three years ago for an alignment. Saw one car on the rack already. Got brought down, and another one right after it, and it got brought down... My car was next.

I sat and watched... and watched... and watched...

15 minutes pass and I decide to go make sure that it's still in the parking lot, and it wasn't.

I talked to the manager, who then called the "tech's" cell phone. After hanging up, he told me that it was being test driven. I explained that it hadn't been on the rack yet and the desk phone happened to ring and he tried like hell to ignore me by talking as long as possible on the phone.

About 10 minutes later the tech drives in, with a friend in the passenger seat. The manager walks out and talks to him, and he does my alignment.

I got the alignment for free, but I'll be damned if I ever take any of my cars back there again.

These stories remind me why I NEVER take my car back to the dealership. I have an independent shop perform all the work including warranty work. The benefit? In 20 years of owning Subaru's, I've had one unschedule maintenance. (A wheel bearing go bad.) That's it. This illustrates how hamfisted the dealership mechanics are and the damage they cause.

I took my Subaru, of 7200 miles in to get my tires rotated on Wednesday. Driving it home it felt like my car was pulling to the right. I didn't think too much of it because I thought it was the wind, although it felt kind of weird. I took it out again on Thursday night- my steering wheel was shakey over 50 mph, and my car was definately pulling to the right a lot. ..... The serivce lady came out telling me that it was unbalanced on one side by 1 oz. and 14 something ???? on the other side? ..... So I ended up paying for the tires balance, but when I got into the car, for the 8 miles they drove testing the balance, it averaged 17.1 mpg. Even when I put "the petal to the metal", at 18 miles it averaged 23 to 24mpg. So wtf?? When I went inside the service dpt. the lady offered to call the person who drove my car for the test- but what the **** would that have done??? So what would be the next step I should take? I think they have f-ed me over! What would you next?

1. You should have listened to the service advisor more carefully. "one side by 1 oz. and 14 something?"

2. After reading your first post, I zerod my trip odometer and drove my 5EAT around Cody, Wyoming for 9 miles. The maximum speed limit here is 30 mph, and this town of 8,835 people isn't exactly loaded with traffic lights. Driving carefully, trying to minimize fuel comsuption, I achieved 17.4 mpg.

17 mpg is NOT indicative (manual or 5EAT) of a technician taking your car for a joy ride

3. If your car's wheels/tires were balanced after you reported a problem at "over 50 mph", doesn't it make sense for the technician to test it at the same or greater speed?

4. The next step you should take is getting control of your over-active-anal-retentive-conspiracy-generating mind. And stop watching Monk!:spin::spin::spin:

Archived