LegacyGT.com

Which Sway Bars? and Why?

HangKen

I have looked over the sway bar selections from various shops and found that there are a lot of types out there.

What are some people's favorites?

Would 25mm Perrin Sways be better than the 22mm Sways?

Most company seems to have the 22mm but Thicker the better?

Most require an aftermarket Endlinks?

Can anyone give me some inputs on this?

Thanks!

It's not just a matter of thinkness. Some aftermarket sways do not mount with certain a/m axle-backs(you need to search).

I have the Perrin 22mm RSB because I know that would fit with my Perrin axle-back.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Wow, so I am assuming that running a thicker sways won't be any kind of issue?

The Cusco (Almost said Costco...) one seems to be very slim but seems to work great.

They have the perrin one with 2 thickness and 2 different holes to fine tune it.

The question I guess is,

Thicker the sway bars, better handling on corners?

Or Too thick of a sway bars won't give enough "Give" on the suspension and make the car understeer/oversteer?

I hope people can understand what the hell I am trying to explain here...

Thicker the sway bars, better handling on corners?

In addition to the thickness you also need to take into account if the bars are solid or hallow. Does stiffer bars equal better handling? Not always, it does however equal less body roll.

Or Too thick of a sway bars won't give enough "Give" on the suspension and make the car understeer/oversteer?

A stiffer bar will take away the "independence" of the suspension. What you really want is a properly sized set of anti-roll bars to go with your springs and struts. Bigger is not always better. ;)

A lot people will actually recommend that you go with stiffer springs or coil-over setup to reduce the body roll instead of the anti-roll bars. Anti-roll bars should be used to make fine adjustments instead of been the solution to the body roll problem.

^exactly. I got the thick ones becuase i run r-comps and coilovers at autox. the less roll the weight transfer i get wich is what i want when runniing r-comps. If it was for the street, i would have gotten thinner bars to allow the outside tire to build up some more load during cornering for better grip.

The relative size of the F/R swaybar sizes can affect whether your car tends to understeer or oversteer. For example, USDM LGTs come w/ a 21 mm solid FSB and 16 mm solid RSB. The larger FSB makes USDM LGTs tend to plow/understeer in corners when compared to JDM LGTs that have the larger 20 mm hollow RSB coupled with the 21 mm solid FSB. I run the JDM 20 mm hollow RSB w/ the stock 21 mm FSB and I'm happy with it. The car is very neutral, IMO, but I can induce some power oversteer if desired. I'm also running Bilstein HDs w/ STi pinks in the front/JDM LGT springs in the rear.

Wow so much information in matter of.......half a day!

Thanks for all the info.

I was thinking that the different material or Hollow/Not Hollow would make a difference.

But I would probably just go with the Coilovers first and then fine tune it with the sway bars as chenc544 has recommended.

It sounded a little cheaper and easier for me to go the sway bar direction instead of the coilovers since this thing already came with the Bilsteins... Not stiff enough in my opinion but...

Thanks for the info here, great help!!

But I would probably just go with the Coilovers first and then fine tune it with the sway bars as chenc544 has recommended.

It sounded a little cheaper and easier for me to go the sway bar direction instead of the coilovers since this thing already came with the Bilsteins... Not stiff enough in my opinion but...

Have you considered Swift springs or STi pinks for your Bilsteins? That would be much cheaper than coilovers.

Have you considered Swift springs or STi pinks for your Bilsteins? That would be much cheaper than coilovers.

So what you are saying is that the regular Bilstein on the Spec B is pretty tight?

It is acutally the spring that's making the car mushy?

What would be the drop for the STI Pinks (I have a crazy Angled Driveway...)?

Is AVO ones worth the money?

Springs will firm things up. Overall stiffer struts will make more of an impact.

Traditionally the USDM spec B gets JDM GT Rev C Bilsteins....the softest of the bunch. Dunno about the '08...don't have part numbers.

For Rev C's go with Pinks or if you want stock ride height go with JDM OEM GT springs which reportedly have higher spring rates then USDM.

Read....

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61108

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5941

back to sway bars?

So what you are saying is that the regular Bilstein on the Spec B is pretty tight?

It is acutally the spring that's making the car mushy?

What would be the drop for the STI Pinks (I have a crazy Angled Driveway...)?

It's more complex than that, but STi pinks would help matters. The STi pinks drop 15 mm (0.6 inch) F/R and are about 8-9% higher spring rate (stiffer) than stock USDM LGT springs (not sure about USDM Spec B spring rates).

But wow, I took a look at the Pink Spring and it's like $425!!!!

Maybe I'd just wait until I get enough money for the Coilovers!!

But the Drop itself is about how much i want it.

I see that I have about 2 Inch Clearance on the bumper before I hit the slope on my driveway.

No clearance for the Front Lip....

Springs will firm things up. Overall stiffer struts will make more of an impact.

Traditionally the USDM spec B gets JDM GT Rev C Bilsteins....the softest of the bunch. Dunno about the '08...don't have part numbers.

For Rev C's go with Pinks or if you want stock ride height go with JDM OEM GT springs which reportedly have higher spring rates then USDM.

Read....

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61108

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5941

back to sway bars?

Acutally, this was really a nice read.

I only thought that they talk about the Shocks and Springs but it basically talk about everything.

Thanks!

Archived