LegacyGT.com

What would you change to make a Legacy STi?

Which way would you rather see the STi performance available?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which way would you rather see the STi performance available?

• A performance pack which would be available on any GT trim/body
    • A regular Legacy STi model

Well, considering I know several people have said they want to wait for this elusive Legacy STi, my question is, what do you expect to be different about them? Here's what I would like to see: -Engine tuned to about 280-300hp/ft-lb torque with a 7000rpm redline (essentially similar to the WRX STi, but some top-end power could be sacrificed for increased drivability) -Helical front LSD -Std short-throw shifter with [b]5MT[/b]- would be nice to have the same torque distribution as the Auto mode on the DCCD unit in the STi 6MT (nice to not be constantly rowing gears with as much usable power band that's available and how little time you spend in any one gear because of the short gears in the STi) -STi link springs with perhaps upgraded suspension links and upgraded sway bars -Stainless brake lines and pads (I see no need to move to Brembos considering what size the standard models are) -17x7.5" or 18" wheels (7.5" width is so much easier finding tires for) You can see I'm probably a little bit more conservative than some, no desire for Brembos or the 6MT given the new 5MT is plenty strong for those numbers. I understand we're playing with vaporware, but I just want to see what everyone is expecting. 8)

IMHO, I'd rather see a performance package available for all turbo models instead of a specific model designation, for one reason. Insurance. It's likely a GT with Performance Pack would be insured as a base GT. While an "STi" Legacy would be viewed as a separate model, and possibly tied into the STi Impreza - which could raise insurance companies estimates of insurance cost. Cheers, Paul Hansen

I have no idea what is going into the car :wink: but FWIW: Brembos, 6 slotter w/longer gearing a la JDM Forester STi, front helical diff, lower stance, 18" wheels (lightweight please), upgraded seats, special interior, rear diffuser, rear spoiler. Potentially a DCCD-A diff w/some tricky diffs front and rear would be nice too :) Maybe a bit more room for bigger rubber? And wee bit more power would be nice, too :twisted: Kerching!! :wink: And if you have to worry about insurance, sorry, but you don't qualify for ownership :twisted: :D

Can't we have both? Either one would be fine with me but I'd prefer a separate model. Brembos and forged wheels are a must AFAIK. 6 speed would be nice too. I'm with apex2 as far as the price is concerned also. If you have to worry about the price then stick with the GT - we already know that it is quite a bargain for the performance offered.

The perception of Subaru in the U.S. market, so that people won't blanch at what an STi Legacy, properly done, would cost. IMHO, let's fix the perception first, then the Legacy STi. Kevin

What about some form of weight reduction? The current GT Limited trim basically add more weight, maybe STi can take some of the base GT. I'm not sure how much they can do without eating away at the creature comforts. Maybe lighter hood and roof like the Evo MR. But I agree with the sway bars and links. I'd rather like to see a cockpit adjustable suspension setup. A more dynamic DCCD than what's there now would be an improvement, I don't need 6MT either. I'm pretty sure a new shifter would be the least they can do especially since it is an option right now already. Except for the LSD and DCCD, everything can be done ourselves. Bryan

The cheapest way for Subaru to make a USDM Legacy STi would be to slap on the stuff from the USDM STi (engine/driveline/diffs/DCCD/brakes) and call it a day. Add a differently-tuned, less-hardcore suspension setup, and off you go, for about $34-$35K USD. Kevin

Combat, please don't take this as a pure counterpoint, but a couple of things need to be pointed out about the MR (at least in JDM terms). The MR was built in repsonse to the fact that MMC finally worked out one reason why the Evo seemed to struggle vs the Rex, balance. And more specifically the feel of being well balanced. The other other being the fact that rock hard suspension does not always = better road holding :roll: (I am not poking fun at them, but just a bit surprised that they only just wokred it out coz they have some genuinely awesome engineers, and many peeps have been telling them for ages). Back to Subaru. FHI is conscious that the current Imprezas feel head heavy compared with the old car, so expect the next WRX to adopt many of the advanced construction methods like tailored blanks. However, the Legacy (and you'll soon understand this, so please don't shoot me to bits) most certainly does NOT feel head heavy. The use of tailored blanks makes the best use of thicker metal where it is needed, and obviously saves weight where it is not needed. Subaru already uses an alloy hood/bonnet, and the rear gate on the wagon is too. Loosing weight is always nice, but the STi Legacy is not all about going heaps faster, but also in more style and with more finesse. Expect Bilstein dampers to appear on it (if it is built). Kevin is right, that would be the easiest way, but STi may want to make it special (I certainly hope they do), and to do that right = some serious work. For those with the money, the S401 was a rippingly good car. I hope a catalog STi is given due care :) And await an S402 :D Cheers:)

[quote name='gtguy']The cheapest way for Subaru to make a USDM Legacy STi would be to slap on the stuff from the USDM STi (engine/driveline/diffs/DCCD/brakes) and call it a day. Add a differently-tuned, less-hardcore suspension setup, and off you go, for about $34-$35K USD. Kevin[/quote] Ditto. Although I would sacrifice DCCD to compensate for the luxury items which would be included like was in the S401 (leather/McIntosh/sunroof). And if you don't like leather and such, get the Impreza. That's what it's there for. The other thing is that the gear ratios need to be longer. I don't know what they are in the STi Forester, but anything has to be better than the overly close ratios in the US Sti IMHO. One shift to 60, please. I'll throw out there that I'd still like to see a twinscroll 2.5L putting out around 325-350hp. 8) I also realize how unlikely that is though.

Oops, I didn't answer the question of the poll exactly. I say a separate STi model. The special attention would do more for Subaru's perception from the public (and in turn, sales) than the possible lower insurance. One other thing, make it as a wagon as well. If that ain't gonna happen, then make it a package for any GT model.

Archived