LegacyGT.com

can't disassemble coilover - suggestions?

BlackHole

Any suggestions on how to disassemble a coilover? I'm trying to set up my MR coilovers and can't get the lower mount off of the strut. It's rusted itself together. I've tried:

• holding the strut in a vise and applying leverage to the lower mount
  • a whole lot of liquid wrench
  • mild heating (was very careful since the strut is pressurized)
  • BFH (big f'n hammer)

Any suggestions? I've used enough clamping force with my vise's pipe grips that I've damaged some of the strut threads, so I'm not sure what else to do. Here's Boostjunkie's post for pics: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1216514&postcount=1

It's the lower mount that bolts to the hub - the bottom section in pic#1 (prototype) with the single red (LGT)/silver (OB) lock ring.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Any suggestions on how to disassemble a coilover? I'm trying to set up my MR coilovers and can't get the lower mount off of the strut. It's rusted itself together. I've tried:

• holding the strut in a vise and applying leverage to the lower mount
  • a whole lot of liquid wrench
  • mild heating (was very careful since the strut is pressurized)
  • BFH (big f'n hammer)

Been there, done that with a KSport. Finally, defeated, I had to send it to KSport. They said they soaked it for 3 days in liquid wrench or similar product. You might try that and use a hammer + a block of wood (or something else to protect the coilover).

Been there, done that with a KSport. Finally, defeated, I had to send it to KSport. They said they soaked it for 3 days in liquid wrench or similar product. You might try that and use a hammer + a block of wood (or something else to protect the coilover).

Thanks to all for the input. I've gotten everything off the coilover besides the hub bracket, so lots of Liquid Wrench it is. I wonder if there is any way to make a large locking ring for the strut body that I could really solidly clamp to with a vise w/o damaging the threads. Then I could use a big breaker bar. :)

Kyle "BlackHole"

Archived