LegacyGT.com

Hawk HPS on the way

RangerMan

I am upgrading two major components this week.

1) Going from RE92 to Kumho SPT

2) Replacing the stock pads and fluid with Hawk HPS and ATE Super Blue

The braking on the LGT has never been very confidence inspiring so this is going to be a big change.

I almost rear ended a Dodge Caliber that locked 'em up in front of me (figuratively speaking). Basically a car pulled in front of them and then slammed on the brakes to make a hard right. My ABS came on, I stopped about 2' from the dodge's rear bumper (glad they don't have good brakes either I guess).

Same day driving home I almost rotated the car taking a right hand turn at 15 mph. Thank goodness for AWD.

So I said to myself and my wife, "Time for new tires" and figured since I am due for a brake fluid flush I might as well upgrade the pads while I'm at it.

Thanks to the forum for helping me pick out my components. Should get the tires on Saturday and hope to do the flush and pads over Thanksgiving week.

The Hawk pads are great IF you bed them properly and allow them a little time to break in. No more front end shake when braking above 75MPH and instant grip at low speeds with little to no fade during normal road use.
Let's kick this pig!

Hawks are great! I just wished I had put them on sooner. I thought the stock pads were acceptable...then I installed the Hawk's and was like :eek:. Bought a set of Hawk HP+ for the front too for track days. :)

They do dust like a mother though. Funny, the first 5K miles or so they weren't bad then, bamm dusting like crazy. Still worth it though.

Anyone else find thier HPS front pads to be really thick? I had to give them a few scraps on the concrete in order to get the calipers back over the rotors.:confused:

Anyway....they work great when compared to stock. (HPS + Motul)

Hawks are great! I just wished I had put them on sooner. I thought the stock pads were acceptable...then I installed the Hawk's and was like :eek:. Bought a set of Hawk HP+ for the front too for track days. :)

They do dust like a mother though. Funny, the first 5K miles or so they weren't bad then, bamm dusting like crazy. Still worth it though.

Drove aroun on my HP+ pads for about three weeks after my last track day... too lazy to switch back to the HPS. Got spoiled with the amount of initial bite on the HP+... but I don't miss the the noise or the dust.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Yikes:eek: My HPS pads fit with no problems.

My guess... your OEM's were worn and the caliper pistons needed to be pushed further into the caliper before the newer, thicker pads were installed. Happens to me when I switch between my street and track pads. I can push the rears in by hand, but I need a c-clamp to do the fronts.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Anyone else find thier HPS front pads to be really thick? I had to give them a few scraps on the concrete in order to get the calipers back over the rotors.:confused:

Anyway....they work great when compared to stock. (HPS + Motul)

Yeah, mine were tough to get over the rotors. I had the pistons fully compressed too. I nearly had to resort to not installing the backing plates to get 'em on, but in the end it all went together.)

Drove aroun on my HP+ pads for about three weeks after my last track day... too lazy to switch back to the HPS. Got spoiled with the amount of initial bite on the HP+... but I don't miss the the noise or the dust.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the HP+ out yet but I'm hopeful this Spring will be it. Every time I try to sign up for Limerock it's full. This year I'm signing up in January when the schedule first comes out!!

I haven't had the opportunity to try the HP+ out yet but I'm hopeful this Spring will be it. Every time I try to sign up for Limerock it's full. This year I'm signing up in January when the schedule first comes out!!

If you already have HPS, Id recommend something a little more aggressive. Swap out to a dedicated track pad for the track and you'll be MUCH happier.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

If you already have HPS, Id recommend something a little more aggressive. Swap out to a dedicated track pad for the track and you'll be MUCH happier.

ummm......I said earlier that I have HP+ for track duty and am already running the HPS. ;)

^ I never heard any until about 4,000 miles in and I would start to get a squeal whenever I lightly put on the brakes.. That annoys some but not me.

When new (I put on brembro rotors at the same time) they were silent until about 4K miles.

They shouldnt make noise. If you want zero noise, the Hawk Performance Ceramic would be what you want. But with any performance pad, the chance of noise is going to be there.

1-2-3-4: Id suggest trying to re-bed them and see if that helps. Or try using some of the anti-squeal "goop" on the backing plate. Not the "grease", but the thick orange goop!

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

^ I never heard any until about 4,000 miles in and I would start to get a squeal whenever I lightly put on the brakes.. That annoys some but not me.

When new (I put on brembro rotors at the same time) they were silent until about 4K miles.

There is a product at the parts store called "squeal medic" or "brake medic" or something like that in a silver/white spray can that you spray on the rotors (it sprays silver) and it will stop the squeal for a while. It's not the orange stuff or the spray used during assembly. I used to use it on my Porsche every few months beause the brakes would squeal, but only when creeping up to an intersection at low speed or in stop and go traffic.

Let's kick this pig!

Archived