LegacyGT.com

Whats The Deal With Subaru Gas Mileage??? What Do You All Get?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have'nt read all the posts on this subject but at it's best my 96 Outback with auto trans hit 28 highway. This was seen on a drive from Baltimore MD to Ocean city MD about 3 hrs of driving. I used the cruise as much as I could and the road was on the flat side. The only after market stuff under the hood are Bosch plugs and a K&N air filter.

05 LGT Limited 5MT, all stock. I think I drive conservatively, but the mileage is underwhelming for sure. 20-22 in all city, 23 mixed, best one-tank average has been 27, driving roundtrip from Columbus to Detroit and back. For some reason, seem to do better without cruise control...

05 LGT Limited 5MT, all stock. I think I drive conservatively, but the mileage is underwhelming for sure. 20-22 in all city, 23 mixed, best one-tank average has been 27, driving roundtrip from Columbus to Detroit and back. For some reason, seem to do better without cruise control...

that's because your foot can plan ahead, cruise is only doing basic calculus.

I just took off my summer rims and holy crap are they heavy. My steel rims are almost lighter not to mention not as wide. That might have something to do with my bad mileage. Ill see what kind of mileage i get now with the stock wheels back on. I also blocked my air intakes so Im not getting 80mph wind tunnels into my intake on the highway, see if that makes any difference either. Ill report back

I just took off my summer rims and holy crap are they heavy. My steel rims are almost lighter not to mention not as wide. That might have something to do with my bad mileage. Ill see what kind of mileage i get now with the stock wheels back on. I also blocked my air intakes so Im not getting 80mph wind tunnels into my intake on the highway, see if that makes any difference either. Ill report back

wider tires = more friction. I'd say yeah you should see improvement. I noticed a drop when I swapped out the 185 stockers to 205 WRX tires. :rolleyes:

Im not understanding why my trip reader is reading so low. I don't drive the car hard most of the time, but its insane what my trip says. When I fill it up it says 210 miles til empty so thats are 12-13mpg, while driving in queens i never seem to get much above that but im in the single digits alot and I just dont understand why? I do hit some stop and go traffic but mainly its are 20-30mph and im not accelerating quick for my pizza deliverys lol. On the highway when i was paying attention to the trip it said like 17-18 in moderate traffic. I hear that alot of trips are off but by how much, im really not complaining cause I love my car just wondering because it dosen't really make sense.

Try calculating it the manual way, how those of us who don't have a digital screen have to do it. Next time you fill up (all the way) zero your trip odometer. Then next time you fill up record how much you put in, and how far you drove. Divide how far you drove by how much you put in, and there is your mileage.

Of course this is not a perfect way, but it works. Do it a couple of times and keep some things constant like filling up at the same pump, not putting any more in after the pump stops, etc. It will get pretty close. Your mileage shouldn't be that low.

Well heres some interesting facts.....

I just blocked my custom intakes on my hood, and put my winter rims and tires on the car. I went from getting 21mph average to about 23mpg average. And when I say "average" I mean actually DRIVing the car. If I babied it, Im sure I could get around 26 or 27 in the warmer months. The 24mpg that I just recorded is in 30-40 degree days.

I think its because the car is not running so lean any more, and the winter rims are a lot lighter then my summer rims. My winters, are steal 16's I think with shitty cooper tires. The summer rims are 18's with a much wider stance, and much heavier.

Archived