LegacyGT.com

Baja

Jacks GT

in addition to selling poorly... they were apparently too expensive to make. a Subaru sales guy told me a couple days ago that they had to hand-weld lots of parts together at the factory, and that 1 welder could only turn out 2 bajas per day.

you can be the judge on whether or not that sounds like crap. but for what it's worth, the source of this info is a pretty stand-up guy... y'know... for a salesman! :)

~B

just as ugly as that generation Outback and Legacy. I'll admit it doesn't look nearly as good as the 05+ legacy.

But it is a light truck-ish thing... yellow looked bad. Silver, and other monochrome paintjobs actually looked decent.

A Turbo with an STI conversion, and 5-114.3 bolt pattern would have been cool, so that some real wheels could be fitted.

I have thought about getting one for the wife, if it were to ever get cheap enough, and I had the means for a third vehicle. Something for the winter snow, (better than Miata on snows...) to haul gardening supplies, the christmas tree, trash/yard waste to the dump, etc... stuff that I don't/can't put in the trunk of my legacy.

As a primary car... not so much. As a secondary or third auxiliary vehicle, it kind of makes a bit of sense. unfortunately, that role doesn't sell new vehicles for Subaru dealers. They have to be new sometime for them to be used cars later.

The Baja needed the 6 cylinder from the get go. Who buys a truck with a 4-cylinder? It's OK for the base model I guess, but they should have had a 6-cyl available instead of turbo.

IIRC there was a rumor a few months ago that the Baja would be brought back as a re-badged Tacoma.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

The Baja needed the 6 cylinder from the get go. Who buys a truck with a 4-cylinder? It's OK for the base model I guess, but they should have had a 6-cyl available instead of turbo.

IIRC there was a rumor a few months ago that the Baja would be brought back as a re-badged Tacoma.

And the turbo Baja only put out 210 hp, 235 ft lbs. of torque and somehow managed to get far worse gas mileage than a LGT. Eeek.

hah, my neighbor's daughter who goes to college in upstate NY has a silver baja. Havent really looked closely at it seemed like a cool idea, not for me I like to have a car, and a real pickup truck with a V8 or diesel (cumins diesels are 6 cyl not 8s like the powerstrokes) Anyhow, Yeah They were going for that el-camino thing which never was big back then and they managed to do a worse job of making a pickup-car that was also underpowered and not very versitile. Oh well everybody gets diarrhea sometimes, why should we hold subaru to a higher standard then our lower intestine?

As a kid I thought the original Subaru BRAT (Bi-Drive Recreational All-Terrain) vehicle was cool looking. Kinda like a lunar surface attack craft might look like. It had two hard plastic seats in the bed of the thing with pistol grips to hold onto on either side of the seat. Obviously the Baja was the spiritual successor to the BRAT. The BRAT didn't win over the public back then and it failed to win enough fans 30 years later in the guise of the Baja. Oh well, at least that had the balls to try it.

http://webmaster.beverleypaine.com/images/video_makingamesssubaru_brumby_brat.jpghttp://homepage2.nifty.com/nhi/SVC/BRAT-3.jpg

When are we going to Cabo?

Maybe we can get factory support.

Do they have premium fuel in Mexico or should we plan on bringing "octane" enhancer?

Vimy101, were going next weekend but due to space restrictions you have to ride in the back of the BRAT! You can have either the left seat or the right one! The cars and us will be running on Patron tequilla which is plentiful down there.:lol:

Vimy101, were going next weekend but due to space restrictions you have to ride in the back of the BRAT! You can have either the left seat or the right one! The cars and us will be running on Patron tequilla which is plentiful down there.:lol:

Ah, the Brat. Just keep the 100% agave coming and I'm good to go.

Speaking of blasts from the past, I saw a SVX a couple of days ago. I looked it up and seems it was a formidable car in the early 90s.

a SVX a couple of days ago. I looked it up and seems it was a formidable car in the early 90s.

One of my neighbors has a white one with some pink STI badges and decals. It's kind of a funky looking car, but it's interesting, which is more than you can say for a lot of what's on the road.

Archived