LegacyGT.com

I don't get it...all this work for what? - JL Help Please

str8dwn

Here's the setup:

• LGT H/U
  • Cleansweep
  • Front Inputs -> JL 300/4 -> Bi-wired to Quart PVF-216 6.5" Components (Chan 1+2 -> Tweeter Input, Chan 3+4 -> Woofer Input) no channels bridged
  • Rear Inputs -> JL 500/1 -> JL 10W6V2 in LGT Stealthbox

Wiring:

• Pos: 4ga Streetwires from batt to dist block and 4ga to each amp
  • Neg: 4ga using JL Master Lug to dist block and 4 ga to each amp
  • Interconnects: All Streetwires ZN7
  • Speaker: 12ga Stinger Pro Series
  • 3 layers of eDead v2 on the front doors and sealed the bottom with plexi insert

Adjustments:

• Followed JL baseline specs exactly.
  • Used correct sine wave freqs on JL disc to set gains on each amp to proper AC output voltage. 17.3 VAC for 300/4 and 31.6 VAC for 500/1
  • H/U set at 25 when calibrating Cleansweep
  • Volume on CS set to 3/4 to set gains
  • X-over set to 80 hz
  • Input voltage on amps set to low voltage (couldn't identify if the CS sends out a high voltage signal)

I have to say that I am really disappointed in the overall volume of this system. This should be a true 800 watts with 500 alone on bass. Where'd the sound go? The sub is balanced volume-wise, but had very poor depth and punch for a sealed enclosure. Mids and highs sound clear, but again this should be a fairly loud system.

Every now and then at low or average volume, I get a strange thing happen when it is sitting in the driveway. When on CD or XM, the mids sound all crackly/distorted. Almost like the gains are too high or the system is clipping, but again this is at very low volume.

If anyone has suggestions, I am open to them. Right now, I feel like I wasted my time and money. Would it be worth paying a shop to completely re-adjust? I wonder how many shops really get into the details of setting these amps. I mean, I've never seen them use a sine wave CD to set gains. They always went by audible clipping.

<soap box on>

Manville, I hope you read this part. The Stealthbox I have is misaligned. The threaded bolt came no where near metal and was WAAYYY off angle. It took me 2 frickin hours to back the allen bolt far enough out b/c it was at 1/16th turns with the wrench. Also, b/c it was too close to the 2nd-level inner hole (right behind inner plastic), there's no real way to secure it b/c the drilled hole is a U-shape. Even with it secured as best I could, it seems loose in the front. Doesn't seem very secure to me. It is as far back in there as possible for sure.

<soap box off>

what you could do is turn all your gains down on your amp(s) first as well as level off your bass, mids, and highs to 0. Then re-calibrate your cleansweep with the volume settings on your HU to anywhere between 25 - 30. use the adjustment knob from the cleansweep to adjust the volume of your system. Once you calibrate, go thru your amp gains and set it from there.

thats what I did. maybe your gains were set too high???

I have built many Cleansweep systems.. overall they work. Im not a fan of the Auto EQ functions (and auto alignment). They have limited a few of mine as well. Specifically, an Infiniti QX56. Damn POS Bose head and Cleansweep were not happy. Would only play to moderate levels, then distort like crazy.

In the end, the head should be replaced and the Cleansweep removed. Even though I have had some good results... I have matched or even bettered those systems with standard LOCs.

str8dwn, I am also in the Atlanta area and would love to hear your setup once completed. You can compare your sound to my wagon and see if there is something wrong with the cleansweep. I have a Navone LOC running to a 300/4 with fronts going to the front speakers and the rear bridged to a 10W3 in one of the new CAS sealed enclosures for the wagon. LMK.

Here's the update.

I recalibrated the CS with the h.u vol at 30 vs 25. The resulting mids had a bit more volume closer to what I would expect.

However, the noise floor with no music playing is atrocious. I might as well be listening to a cassette.

Also, the sub has a slight increase in volume (still FAR below expectations) and is muddy. Also, the entire JL enclosure makes all kinds of noises. Creaking, pinging at decent volume and I somehow think the sub might be blown or damaged. Hard to tell. It read 2.1 ohms, so that part is intact. Surround and spider looked good upon initial inspection. I can tell you that a single Solobaric 12 @ 300w blows this away in overall volume. This is musically a little better as to be expected with a sealed enclosure.

integroid,

Thanks, I may take you up on the offer. I might swing my car by a local JL dealer (not those assholes at Cartunes though) first and see what they can find.

DSC00058_sm.thumb.jpg.fa19cea6080a1577c16eb8ff1ab5f663.jpg

DSC00060_sm.thumb.jpg.779970fd9e0d6f359968b1c083167561.jpg

DSC00061_sm.thumb.jpg.fa7ff8fee93b68aa81dabfd9d4c985b1.jpg

DSC00059_sm.thumb.jpg.0b34629a9ee1065a58fabff4bb42d506.jpg

Looks nice. Did you do all the work yourself?

I went to your homepage and you have a picture of a girl I ride with every week. Do you ride as well or just do the timing stuff? There is a girl that use to ride on my team that works for AMB....Do you know Julia Radman?

Hey, that's funny. I worked at AMB for four years doing marketing and working in the cycling/running portion of AMB. I know Julia very well and we chat on regular occasion. I now have that side business which paid for my install. Small world! I used to ride quite a bit, mostly slalom/BMX, but did race XC back in the day.

Thanks. I did all that myself. I worked briefly at a shop in college to help pay the bills. I am no expert for sure.

I'm betting that it's just some random little detail like wires routed close to noise sources, bad connections, bad connectors, etc.

Do you have another amp that you can wire up directly to the HU outputs, just with a spare speaker, do make sure the signal is clean at that point? If that sounds OK then work your way down the chain (Cleansweep inputs, Cleansweep outputs, amp inputs, amp outputs, crossover inputs, crossover outputs, plus anything in between that I missed). At at some point in the signal path you'll probably find noise that wasn't present upstream.

Set all tone controls flat and the OEM Volume at 25 and recalibrate the CS. You should have negligible hiss at this setting.

Reset the amp gains with the CS volume knob at 50%, not 75%

This will give you more gain overlap and more output. The CS volume knob's difference from 75% to 100% is less than a typical head unit's so this may be the issue.

As for the subwoofer making noises... check the install integrity of the box and the woofer itself... make sure you have no air leaks around the woofer (I see you recovered the enclosure, so this might be the problem.)

Hope that helps,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

One more thing... if it were me, I would bridge that 300/4 and run it in 150x2 mode to the Quart components in std. wiring mode. The extra headroom will give you much more benefit than bi-amping through a passive network.

Manville,

Thanks, I knew you'd come to save the day! I'll give it try tomorrow.

Any thoughts on the misaligned bolt? Also, a question about the CS output. Booklet says it puts out up to 8v preamp. Shouldn't the amps be on high input instead of low (up to 2v)? Yet, when I tried that, the output AC voltage with the sine wave track showed it was not powerful enough for high input.

Manville,

Thanks, I knew you'd come to save the day! I'll give it try tomorrow.

Any thoughts on the misaligned bolt? Also, a question about the CS output. Booklet says it puts out up to 8v preamp. Shouldn't the amps be on high input instead of low (up to 2v)? Yet, when I tried that, the output AC voltage with the sine wave track showed it was not powerful enough for high input.

As for the bolt alignment, it's possible that the box is not seating properly (perhaps due to the upholstery change). Why don't you give our tech support guys a call at 1-888-JLAUDIO... they might have a better insight.

Set the amp Input Level Switches on "Low"... the 8V output is a maximum unclipped output, the nominal voltage is closer to 2.5V.

Archived