LegacyGT.com

Good Price?

Blugin

Well, I have a good friend that is a salesman at Subaru of Dallas and I just got a quote for a Legact GT Limited- it's Black/Black 5 manual, with pop equipment group 1 and a spoiler. I want to buy it from him but I want to get a good deal too. Quote with those options is $28,612- is that a good deal?

Go to edmunds.com and check the prices out. msrp should be $29, 831 with destination for this car, invoice is $27,337 with destination. I would think you could get the car for 27,500. I paid $300 over invoice for mine, some have done better, some worse. I suggest you go to another dealership in your area and tell them..... I want this, this and this, and I will pay this. Can you sell me a car in the next 15 minutes because I need to make it to the next closest dealership before they close. The sales manager Henry is expecting me.:D It worked for me! Dont use Henry, that is the sales manager that I called 40 miles away from the dealership I bought my car from. Henry couldn't do shit for me, but they didnt know that.;) Welcome

[quote name='Blugin'] I haven't bought a new car in a while so I gotta check around.[/QUOTE] That is exactly what you should do. Email or visit a couple dealerships and ask them for a quote, then get the dealerships to try and beat each others price. Remember that you are in charge, and you can just get up and leave, they are the ones that have to make the sale. Make them work for you!;) Good luck. Nick

try searching Fitzmall.com and see if they have one similar. I used them as a competitive price ($25.9k on an MSRP of $29k) and my local dealer said the best they could do is $26.6k and that Fitzmall.com is loosing about $149 on the car.

[quote name='Blugin']Well, I have a good friend that is a salesman at Subaru of Dallas and I just got a quote for a Legact GT Limited- it's Black/Black 5 manual, with pop equipment group 1 and a spoiler. I want to buy it from him but I want to get a good deal too. Quote with those options is $28,612- is that a good deal?[/QUOTE] No - it doesn't appear to be a very good deal. I paid $27,200 for a similarly equipped GT Ltd in White Satin Pearl - about $100 over invoice at the time - and many folks here report doing much, much better than that. But, prices will also vary by parts of the country - I think I remember the CA folks talking about paying more that some of us in the East - and it will also vary based upon availability - lots of folks report having to order and wait a month or so for their LGT. As folks have said, shop dealers in your area and compare.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

That doesn't sound like a great deal. I purchased a 05 gt ltd wagon with auto and some extras for 28,700. Figure the auto is an extra grand and some more for the wagon over the sedan, I'm thinking closer to 27k Good luck and shop around someone will deal

[quote name='Blugin']Well, I have a good friend that is a salesman at Subaru of Dallas and I just got a quote for a Legact GT Limited- it's Black/Black 5 manual, with pop equipment group 1 and a spoiler. I want to buy it from him but I want to get a good deal too. Quote with those options is $28,612- is that a good deal?[/QUOTE] Terrible price. I think I spoke back in forth with a Subaru of Dallas salesman on these boards. He argued that dealers need to make money too, hence the higher price. Only problem is, I won't spend thousands more at one place, when I can get it cheaper somewhere else. I'm assuming that Subaru of Dallas doesn't have much local competition.

[quote name='plunk10']Terrible price. I think I spoke back in forth with a Subaru of Dallas salesman on these boards. He argued that dealers need to make money too, hence the higher price. Only problem is, I won't spend thousands more at one place, when I can get it cheaper somewhere else. [/QUOTE] Hey Jeff, I showed you the invoice... you know our profit and I believe you have accepted it and thats cool... You understand how business and trade works :) Here's how it sorta works for the rest of you. MSRP (meaningless number for the most part) 29,831 Invoice $27,612 HB: Don't know, but it is an irrelevant number, that DOES go into the general operations of the dealership and pays people like accountants, secretaries, custodians, etc. Not to mention insurance, liability, etc. You know, everyone that doesn't generate actual income for the dealership. Offered sale price on this particular deal. $28,612 + adds. $1000 of profit on a car that is $28,612. Can you go out of state and buy a car for less? Yes Can you take the time and research it all day long? Perhaps Are you willing to go that far out of your way to save a few pennies once your factor in travel, time off work, etc? I would hope not. I'm not asking sticker, I'm not even offering a small discount... some dealers have humongous volume rebates on their inventory and get paid incentives for selling a certain amount of vehicles (like Van Bortel et. al). We don't, we're in Texas. The market requirerments are a little different here. If we sell 50 cars in a month (which is more than anyone in Texas) we get a pat on the back and maybe a mediocre steak dinner from SoA. I'd also like to know if any of you would be willing to part for something so nice as an LGT for less than you bought it for... (depreciation aside) This is a national board, and you can always get a better deal elsewhere, you might not always be taken care of better in the long-run. All of us guys here in North Texas know that if you want your car worked on properly, you come to SoD, if you want to be treated like a customer for life, you come here as well. Not too many dealers are on this board willing to help you out on the service, sales, and parts side of your entire dealership experience. Especially when it comes to performance and warranty. Fact is, not too many dealers care about you after you purchase their vehicles... I've sold about 100 cars this year, and bumped into several of them while out and about and guess what, I remember their names, their spouse's names and inquire about their jobs and everything... Do I have a good memory? A little bit, but it mostly translates to the fact that I (and the dealership as a whole) cares a little bit about you. I hope some of you might see my point and make a valued judgement based on it and understand the buisiness side of my argument, some of you may not and consider to think that this a bad deal. In the end, Blugin is personal friend of mine and we'll work something out. -Kevin Heist subaru of Dallas 469-688-2222 [email]kheist@subaruofdallas.com[/email]

look on subaru's website and check out dealers inventory in your area. sometimes they have special internet prices. possibly contact the dealer i got my car from.....Herb Gordon Subaru in Silver Spring, MD. they were absolutly the best to deal with. you should also check edmunds.com and put in all your options. you should try and get the car for at least invoice. mine was 300 under invoice...sticker was 29,847. good luck.....it took me 4 dealerships before i got my deal.

[QUOTE=Han'sGT]crappy deal! i have almost the same set up with the addition of wheel locks and all season mats. 27,000 even before tax and tags.[/QUOTE] You didnt read a thing i wrote.. did you? You're in Maryland, big market for Subaru, dealerships know this and sell large volume. Subaru of America gives money to higher producing volume dealers. They can AFFORD to sell below the cost because at the end of the month, they will re-coop the loss by whatever bonuses are in place for selling so many cars. Here in texas, it doesnt happen like that... is that bad.. I suppose it is, but there's not much to be done about it here in texas. A texas resident travelling to either coast to get a "better deal" will spend more in travelling and time off work to get "the better deal" I'm done preaching... im gonna find out when my Spec B rims are coming in.

[quote name='Kevin@SoD']We don't, we're in Texas. The market requirerments are a little different here. If we sell 50 cars in a month (which is more than anyone in Texas) we get a pat on the back and maybe a mediocre steak dinner from SoA.[/QUOTE] Strange, I was told that North Park Subaru in San Antonio was the largest Subaru dealer in Texas. They do have more Legacies in stock (25 vs 17). Maybe it is true but I would have never guessed as it is about a 1/4th the size of the largest dealer in San Antonio.

[quote name='99%Stock2.5i']Strange, I was told that North Park Subaru in San Antonio was the largest Subaru dealer in Texas. They do have more Legacies in stock (25 vs 17). Maybe it is true but I would have never guessed as it is about a 1/4th the size of the largest dealer in San Antonio.[/QUOTE] We've sold just over 500 new cars this year and only twice were we beaten by them in month-end totals. Each time we lost by very few vehicles. We're definitely in 1st place though. Regarding the size of the dealership... its another thing about Texas... subaru isnt exactly big here. However, you might want to see this cool little thread on NASIOC. Looks like bigger and better things are in the works :) [url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666649[/url]

[QUOTE=Han'sGT]mine was 300 under invoice...sticker was 29,847. good luck.....it took me 4 dealerships before i got my deal.[/QUOTE] I paid $975 below invoice from FitzMall.com Dealers never make much on the car itself, thus all the non-OEM add-ons and F&I

Kevin, In everything you wrote, which was nicely articulated by the way, the key take away has to be the long-term business relationship. It is just such a relationship that enables quid pro quos to happen. You do something for me, and I'll do something for you or vice versa. As I repeatedly remind my dealer, I'm not paying a dime more on the front end of this sale (sales,f/i, etc.) than is absolutely necessary to make it a "best" deal for me, e.g., the "quid". However, with very minor exceptions I'm not going to take the back end (service) to task and quibble over "costs" to maintain and accessorize the car, e.g., the "pro quo". Unfortunately, many dealerships operate on the feast/famine, cut-throat business model whereby the sales individual or team, takes everything out of the front end of the "deal" and leaves nothing for the customer to re-invest in the dealership on the back end. This is, IMHO, the short-term view that goes against the grain of what you were espousing in your post. My philosophy has always been to "balance" the two sides of the equation (front/back) by going the extra mile (and, incidently, gaining goodwill and loyalty) at the point of sale but at a price point that generates more "service" business, word-of-mouth new customer sales, and return sales. All good things and everyone comes out ahead. The caveat to this however, is that this is not possible if you have a less-than-stellar reputation for poor workmanship or shoddy diagnostics and repairs from the service side, e.g., not getting it right the first time and then having to return for the dealership to "refix" the problem. This becomes a critical component to the equation. And how much is a fair profit? 10%, 20% what? If you sell 100 Subarus a month at invoice, and factor in HB, FSA, etc., you're still generating $100K gross (on average), a month for the dealership in sales alone before incentives. It's reasonable to expect that the service side generates significant cash flow too, so any dealership worth its salt is probably making at least that much on the service side. Allowing for a 70% CGS, that still leaves at least $60K a month net and that's selling every car at invoice. We all know that that is not happening and that typically, most cars sell for more than invoice so the net profit is going to be higher. I wouldn't mind $720K a year in net profit on just 1200 cars. More cars = more cash flow = higher net profit. Which brings me back to my original point - A dealership that strategically takes the long view, lives with less on the front end, generates more on the back end, and continues to grow the business from WOM sales and return sales? If I were running this business, that's how I'd set it up. Okay - that was a long ramble but overall, I understand where SOD is coming from. I just think that if you truly want to be Number 1, then you've got to take the long view and make sure that your business strategy is cohesive. That it optimizes, not sub-optimize, your organziation front to back. I'd be interested to hear what the head of the dealership thinks of this approach. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Kevin@SoD: I went back and read your orginal message as I did not read it thoroughly. But my comment was really in response to the person who started the thread. In my opinion the deal is a crappy one compared to mine. I understand that location, demand, and company kick backs has a lot to do with it...but compared to the deal I got...its crappy....$1600+ for the same car. good luck....maybe this winter will be bad in Dallas and people will wise up and start buying a ton of subies!

Internet quote from a local dealer here in San Diego on a 05 Legacy GT Limited Wagon (auto, silver on black, SUBWOOFER/AMPLIFIER, REAR CARGO TRAY, CENTER ARMREST EXTENSION, REAR CARGO NET, WHEEL LOCK SET, AUTO DIM MIR/COMP W/HOMELINK, SECURITY SYS. PERIMETER ALARM). Pretty much the option package I'm looking for. Quote: $30,245 Invoice: seems to be somewhere around $29,600 MSRP: $32,519 Seems to be the only wagon within 30 miles, but I'll expand my search. The salesman was very polite, but thought the idea of selling it at invoice was preposterous.

[quote name='Mungo']Internet quote from a local dealer here in San Diego on a 05 Legacy GT Limited Wagon (auto, silver on black, SUBWOOFER/AMPLIFIER, REAR CARGO TRAY, CENTER ARMREST EXTENSION, REAR CARGO NET, WHEEL LOCK SET, AUTO DIM MIR/COMP W/HOMELINK, SECURITY SYS. PERIMETER ALARM). Pretty much the option package I'm looking for. Quote: $30,245 Invoice: seems to be somewhere around $29,600 MSRP: $32,519 Seems to be the only wagon within 30 miles, but I'll expand my search. The salesman was very polite, but thought the idea of selling it at invoice was preposterous.[/QUOTE] Preposterous because he wouldn't stand to make any money as far as commission. :D

[quote name='Hockey Coach']I belive I got a great price from my local dealer. Sticker price for my Legacy GT limited was $30,786. I paid $25,500.00. Not to shabby![/QUOTE] :eek: :eek: :eek: must be end of year sales. That deal is unbelievable.

[quote name='vegita2201']I got a Silver GT Limited with spoiler, compass mirror, arm extension, and short shifter for 27K. Did I get a good deal?[/QUOTE] that sounds like a good deal. not the most amazing deal, but not ripped off either.

Archived