LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

Not on the K-Sports. The JRZs use 900 lb Eibach springs, so those are easy to get matching springs with different rates from Eibach. Looking thru the racing logbook I can see they did a lot of experimentation with springs, sway bar settings, and the 3-Way settings. I am reluctant to start trying softer spring rates than what they already came up with as the right combo.

Maybe in 2015 I'll "play around" with spring rates, but probably not this season. Of course if the car jackhammers the back across the track when I hit a bump in mid corner I'll have to re-think that!

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it on track today for the Test & Tune before the NW Gran Prix weekend in Spokane WA. Man, this puppy is fast, 150 MPH at the end of the front straight. That's pucker factor time going over the infamous Spokane bump just before the turn. It is a real learning experience for me. The other ST cars have massive aero downforce to keep them solid on the threshold braking from 150 to 70 mph. I definitely need a spoiler and a rear wing.

Driving Force graphics did the new numbers and other graphics. The idea was to keep the same general style as the original car. The big open spaces are for future sponsors, if I should ever get any!

The other drivers and team crew bosses love this car. I had several come over and check it out, they are really happy to see it on track. One crew chief of 3 of the most highly prepped BMW M3s you'll ever watch made it a point to say that everyone is talking about the racing Legacy Wagon!

Races start tomorrow (Friday). I'll be in a sprint race and a one hour enduro on Friday, then sprint races Saturday and Sunday. I'll post up some action photos next week. My goal is to survive the weekend and gather a lot of data. One of the main Subaru STI competitors already spun a bearing on his first lap out....

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/Spokane2014ICSCC2.jpg...http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/Spokane2014ICSCC3.jpg...http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/Spokane2014ICSCC1.jpg...http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/Spokane2014ICSCC4.jpg

I completed the ST qualifying and the race. The other ST cars were faster, but the rest of the cars in Group 4 were fun to race against.. I was running pretty consistent best laps of 1:39. My best lap of the day was 138.3

Then in the 1 hour enduro I was doing really well. I got a great video of two BMWs tangling up at 130 mph right in front of me. We were 3 wide going into turn 2 at the end of the front straight, I backed off and 2 seconds later they smacked and both went off track. an hour later , two laps to go and my rear differential decided it had enough, BANG , GRIND, GRIND .....no more racing this weekend.

I'l try to edit my videos and post up some highlights.

Anyone have suggestions on a new upgraded rear diff for road racing? I think it has (had) a Cusco in it now.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Great links, thanks!

I'm looking for a Spokane junkyard that might have a diff I can swap in today and get back In the race.

The 6 MT swap llooks nice for an upgrade. I will consider the options. At 153 mph I am topping out in 5th.

Thanks. And let's talk about your lip and bumper cover.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

OP, pictures and video footage would be greatly appreciated :)

Finally got it on track today for the Test & Tune before the NW Gran Prix weekend in Spokane WA. Man, this puppy is fast, 150 MPH at the end of the front straight. That's pucker factor time going over the infamous Spokane bump just before the turn. It is a real learning experience for me. The other ST cars have massive aero downforce to keep them solid on the threshold braking from 150 to 70 mph. I definitely need a spoiler and a rear wing.

Driving Force graphics did the new numbers and other graphics. The idea was to keep the same general style as the original car. The big open spaces are for future sponsors, if I should ever get any!

The other drivers and team crew bosses love this car. I had several come over and check it out, they are really happy to see it on track. One crew chief of 3 of the most highly prepped BMW M3s you'll ever watch made it a point to say that everyone is talking about the racing Legacy Wagon!

Races start tomorrow (Friday). I'll be in a sprint race and a one hour enduro on Friday, then sprint races Saturday and Sunday. I'll post up some action photos next week. My goal is to survive the weekend and gather a lot of data. One of the main Subaru STI competitors already spun a bearing on his first lap out....

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/Spokane2014ICSCC2.jpg...http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/Spokane2014ICSCC3.jpg...http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/Spokane2014ICSCC1.jpg...http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/Spokane2014ICSCC4.jpg

Looks like pics to me? He's at a race event now trying to fix his car, probably be awhile before we see vids.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/2014-NWMS-G4FAM-11.jpg

Coming out of the back to back hairpins with a super fast BMW coming on strong. If you click the image to go to photobucket, then click the magnifer to see it in full size, note the rear wheels/tires fender wells; the rear wing, and front splitter. He has massive grip! Here's another shot of the same car in front of me, and another BMW behind me:

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/2014-NWMS-G4FAM-15.jpg

Gave up on the swap out. I was really impressed with the help from the other racers, they were all over trying to make it work out. I met a Subaru tech who knew his transmissions/rear diffs and explained all the options.

I packed up and headed home. Got a LGT R160 4.11 on the way now from a nearby salvage yard. Here's the damage:

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/MS6Hayate/DSC02358.jpg

I'll edit some video highlights and get them up this week or next. Next race is Pacific Raceways (Seattle - Kent) June 13-15. Trying hard to get it all back together

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Anyone have suggestions on a new upgraded rear diff for road racing? I think it has (had) a Cusco in it now.

Clutch type is still probably the way to go for outright performance. It has sacrifices for the street (noise, maintenance), but for the track, it is the best wheel the wheels get light (or lift) and can be adjustable to some degree (will require dropping the diff).

Also, if that thing doesn't have a front LSD, do it too. If you think it has grip now. . . . That's a place where clutch v. helical gets interesting. I think it is where the clutch-type has the most advantage (front wheels can get very light under power), but with the 5-speed a rebuild requires cracking the transmission case, so yeah.

Who made those camber plates? They are the first ones I've seen for this car that don't look like utter cheap shit.

Also, what are you doing for oil cooling? My oil gets stupid hot on the track in the summer.

Edited by nm+

Camber Plates: They are MSI DMS Motorsport Adjustable Front Upper Mounts.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/MSI-DMS-MNT-SU-001-DMS-Motorsport-Adjustable-Front-Upper-Mounts&src=r8i7xpw3

Oil Cooling: there's an oil cooler tucked under the battery shelf inside the left front fender, above the front brake ducts. The feed and return lines come off the spin on oil filter adapter. It's not an optimal location, very little air flow. I may revisit the way it's installed soon.

I'm probably going to use the oem viscous LSD while I decide if I want to stick with the R160 4.11 5 Speed, or step up to a R180 6 speed in STi or Spec B ratios. No point in paying $1,000 for a plate or helical LSD for the R160 if I'm going to upgrade to an R180. I was impressed with the 5 speed, not so much with the R160. The damage was my fault, I should have torn it down and serviced it before we went out on the track.

I'm sure it has a front LSD. It took me awhile to realize that if I touched the brakes at all in a turn it transitioned to immediate straight "understeer", like an arrow headed off the road. This is not a car that likes trail braking into a corner, at all. Very different from all the other race cars I've driven where trail braking was pretty easy to do.

Sgt.Gator - you might try to get hold of this guy - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-guy-legacy-race-car-184554.html?t=184554. He has the 05 GT sedan racecar. His parts list is included in that post.

When I called Joe to ask about buying your car, I thought he mentioned they put a front LSD in it when the FMIC was added. However, your comment about tapping the brakes and going into immediate understeer seems more like a suspension tuning than an LSD, especially if you are left foot braking. If your suspension is squatting in the corners (check your predominant outside rear tire (right rear at Pacific) for psi rise), and you either lift or left brake, you'll immediately "hook up" on the front and head straight. This was a common problem on my wagon. We tuned in quite a bit of rake and added bracing to stiffen up the back - to control the squat.

Depending on your driving style (seem to remember you in a FWD Integra), you'll have to adjust a bit for the wagon. I used to aim for an apex point about 10 feet early and 10 feet inside the actual point. It eased when I rolled on the throttle and ended up flat on the floor at track out. Otherwise, I ended up off the track at track out. Going in to the turn, I used to brake late and ease off as I turned in which simulated trail braking. If I was still too hot, I'd ease off the throttle a tad (big toe?). Any abrupt throttle reaction was a ticket off track. I had setup for throttle oversteer at very high-loading, so if I really got stuck I could mat the gas to get out of trouble.

If it would help, I can dig up my last suspension settings.

I needed the diff asap for races coming up next weekend so I called B&R who has a network of yards in Oregon and Washington. I've always had good experiences with my local guy in Redmond OR, but this time their phone system tree redirected me from his office to guy up in Washington.

I told him I needed a rear diff, R-160, from an 05-06 Legacy GT, Manual trans, sedan or wagon, 4.111 rear. He said he had one. I asked him to confirm that it was coming from a 05-06 Legacy GT MT because it was very important, that's the one with a 4.111 FD. An 07+ would not work because they are 3.90. He confirmed it was coming from a 05-06 Legacy GT in Eugene.

What did I get shipped? An Outback XT 4.444!!! It even says on the invoice:

Requested: 2005 Legacy Outback turbo, MT 4.44 ratio!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Looking close at the shop manual it turns out an Outback Non Turbo MT would have worked fine too, it's an R-160 VLSD 4.111.

I've learned the hard way that the correct diff is marked in white paint "JP". The Outback Non-Turbo that is the substitute is marked in white paint "JE".

Of course the one they sent is marked in white paint "CF", which confirms it as a Legacy Outback XT 4.444

Next winter I'm going to pull this 5MT out to use in my 818 kit and do 6spd/R180 swap into the wagon. The R-180 is far beefier.

Here's a video of the first 1.5 laps of the Group 4 race in Spokane. In front and beside me are two Factory Five Cobra Challenge Race cars. They challenge me at the start, I get them at the end of the straight, and never saw them again.

It's quick clip...enjoy.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Start of 1 hour Enduro, Spokane Gran Prix 2014.

At the start I'm surrounded by BMW Pro3 cars. They are faster than my Legacy Wagon in the corners, but I know that over the course of an hour I can pass all of them on the long front straight.

Coming out of the back straight I miss a shift and another one gets by me, dangnabit! However he's not in front of me for long.

1 lap in, I go 3 wide with two BMW Pro3 cars at the end of the front straight.

:eek:

I decide discretion is called for, 2 seconds later you'll see why. At 125 mph things go fast. Luckily no one was injured, and one of the Pro3 cars was able to finish the race.

Watch the video and decide who was at fault.....keeping in mind the stewards consider this is the most dangerous corner at this track.

It's worth popping this one out in Full Screen mode!

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Pro3 drivers don't have much fear or concern with swapping paint. Next time, you'll know to head for the inside and drive right past them. I feel it in my heart. :-)

In a one hour enduro I know I can pass them anytime on the long straights tracks. No need to win the first turn, or the second, or the third....the old truism, "nobody ever won a race at the first turn, but plenty have lost the race there" .

And that's twice now a Pro3 and I have had issues at Spokane. Last year one booted me off the track in the Hare & Hound race.

The Good News: B&R says they will have the correct R-160 to pickup tomorrow, plus another spare. I'll see you at Pacific Raceways this weekend?

:)

Looks like the one guy basically pit maneuvered himself trying to get setup on the outside for the next turn...? I dunno, I don't know all the racecar etiquette / rules.

Awesome vids here though!

You are the winner! Yes, the stewards watched my video and basically said the car on the left failed to give racing room for the car on the right. And they noted it was especially bad because it's such a high speed corner that mistakes here can have fatal consequences.

I'm just glad that neither of them came flying back out on the track in front of me. A 100+mph T-Bone would have ended this car's racing career, and possibly mine too!

In my first race with Pro3 cars at Portland, I went 3 wide into turn 4 (at the end of the straight) early on. I had the inside line. When I realized they were going to take me 4 wide into turn 5, I wisely backed off and let them swap paint without me.

I don't mind the touching/rubbing. I do mind being pulled on the straights and then having fight with them thru the turns. Maybe a turbo in the miata would help after all?