LegacyGT.com

Anyone running Amsoil Synthetic ATF?

VTGT

Are you Running the Amsoil Synthetic ATF?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Running the Amsoil Synthetic ATF?

• Yes, and my transmission is all stock.
    • No, and my transmission is all stock.
    • Yes, and I have an upgraded transmission.
    • No, and I have an upgraded transmission.

I did my first tranny flush at 28,000 and it was discolored a little, then switched over to amsoil yesterday at 38,000 and fluid looked really good and clean. I love the amsoil products and they claim you can use longer drain intervals with the atf, but i am not willing to take that chance. probaly every 2 years whether it needs it or not. better to be changing it too soon than too late. a small price to pay for a piece of mind if you ask me.:)

I did my first tranny flush at 28,000 and it was discolored a little, then switched over to amsoil yesterday at 38,000 and fluid looked really good and clean. I love the amsoil products and they claim you can use longer drain intervals with the atf, but i am not willing to take that chance. probaly every 2 years whether it needs it or not. better to be changing it too soon than too late. a small price to pay for a piece of mind if you ask me.:)

I was doing a little research and Prime power is an amsoil dealer also and he seemed to think a tranny not designed for synthetic might actually hurt the transmission more than help....He is just using a tranny cooler and regular ATF

This was awhile ago, before the amsoil synthetic was confirmed compatible with our transmissions tho :rolleyes:

I am a little worried I have not put on my tranny cooler yet and I have been stage 2 for a year (about 8000 miles)

I was running the small (4" x 11") Tru-Cool 4451...

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/4451.jpg

but recently swithced to the larger (73/4" x 11") 4543...

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/4543.jpg

for more cooling capacity for track days and less restrictive air flow to the a/c condenser and radiator behind it.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=tru-cool-lpd

Hmm I just did a little research on nasioc on tranny failure.

I am weary if my tranny is slipping already.

Because if it is, switching to synthetic might hurt my tranny more than help it.

What do you guys think? about 8k at stage 2. 20k total on car.

Is your tranny slipping now? If you dont have any slippng now switching is probaly not gonna hurt it at all. I have only had mine switched over for 3 days and it is shifting a little smoother, i would'nt worry too much about it if you dont have any problems now,i doubt it the amsoil atf will cause you any. whichever you do decide on go ahead and have it done,dont wait. i have been at stage 2 since 13,000 miles and am at 38,000 now with no major problems to speak of.

• 1 month later...
mine's going in next Wed.

Cool!

If anyone is following this thread I decided to go with the OEM ATF + BG additives this time around.

I will have the flush and fill done within a week, I will report back on my findings :)

Well I just had a BG tranny flush at 20K miles. 12k at more than stock boost levels.

I was reassured that my old fluid had no metal pieces and it was not burnt. They said it was "ok" Makes me think my clutchpacks are in pretty good shape.

I will report back on how it shifts in a few days :)

i will be doing a tranny flush + BG additive + vb upgrade very soon and i havent decided which to go with, OEM ATF or Amsoil ATF

does anyone know how much 16 quartz of Amsoil ATF is and how much 16 quartz of Subaru ATF is?

Best prices I could find for OEM subaru fluid was around $70 for 16 qts. And I think Amsoil is between $100-120

I may try amsoil next time around. But for now I will stick with the BG flush+oem every 18-19k

i will be doing a tranny flush + BG additive + vb upgrade very soon and i havent decided which to go with, OEM ATF or Amsoil ATF

does anyone know how much 16 quartz of Amsoil ATF is and how much 16 quartz of Subaru ATF is?

I think IPT will recommend synth with the VB upgrade.

I am running OEM ATF+BG additive with my IPT VB for about 8k miles now.

How often are you planning on doing a tranny flush and fuel with your setup?

I think I am sticking with the 19-20k interval, judging by how my old fluid looked.

you want extra + you're doing the VB.

after draining the tranny and installing the VB, you need at least 4 quarts to have something in it then you can do the flush... 16 sounds right, i'd have a few extra just in case.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Archived