LegacyGT.com

Anyone running Amsoil Synthetic ATF?

VTGT

Are you Running the Amsoil Synthetic ATF?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Running the Amsoil Synthetic ATF?

• Yes, and my transmission is all stock.
    • No, and my transmission is all stock.
    • Yes, and I have an upgraded transmission.
    • No, and I have an upgraded transmission.

I am thinking about switching over to AMSOIL synthetic ATF in my 2005 Stage 2 5eat.

My car is about to hit the 20,000 mile mark, and she seems to be shifting fine once warmed up. I hope all of my clutch packs are still intact....

I feel like with the AMSOIL ATF + Tranny cooler I will be running much lower temperatures therefore extending the life of my transmission.

Can anyone think of any negatives to running AMSOIL Synthetic ATF or for that matter any synthetic ATF in our Jatco 5eat tranmissions?

I attached a poll :)

there is an amsoil type-j compatible fluid (which i'm running), but alas I think i've done enough tranny destruction that no vb upgrade or tranny fluid upgrade was going to be able to save :/

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

there is an amsoil type-j compatible fluid (which i'm running), but alas I think i've done enough tranny destruction that no vb upgrade or tranny fluid upgrade was going to be able to save :/

Mike

I thought your tranny was still working properly?

Any how, did you notice any differences with the amsoil ATF? Smoother shifts, quicker shifts etc..

Couldn't tell on the amsoil, did the switch when i did the VB switch

tranny did great for the first 2000 or so miles on this tune.... i'm starting to get some chatter on the 1-2 shifts.... :/

Mike

Couldn't tell on the amsoil, did the switch when i did the VB switch

tranny did great for the first 2000 or so miles on this tune.... i'm starting to get some chatter on the 1-2 shifts.... :/

Mike

eekk maybe 400 whp is a little too much poor for our poor stock tranny even with the VB MOD + ATF SYN + Tranny cooler.....

Mike, How many miles on the car at stage 2+?

Hopefully the stock tranny with the above tranny precaution mods will be enough to sustain 320-350 whp some day I wish to have.....

Keep the votes coming :)

when you say chatter, could it be the VB? i know hybrid had to send his back in to have that fixed. I haven't had that experience yet, so I guess i've been pretty fortunate. and I believe the guy who was working on the VB's for us (when I had mine done) is no longer there? i'm at 41K miles, did the STI swap at about 21K miles and VB upgrade around 23K miles. so far, so good.

*edit* to remain on topic, i use the SOA synthetic tranny fluid. the Amsoil is only slightly better and for the price (my pricing) in combo with the BG additive, it's just as good if not better. i'm also changing the tranny fluid about 18K miles now.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

i've had the VB in for about 9K miles now, so it could be, it could be something with the amsoil atf, it could be clutch paks ;)

problem with the auto, there are too many damn variables.... but high torque is known to cause excess clutch pak wear, and i hold 300+ wtq way up the power band, so that can't be helping....

Mike

no, figure i'm double what the stock 5eat puts down on the dyno i was retuned at....

the fact that it held up this long at over 300whp and whatever day to day abuse i put it through is pretty good IMO.

Mike

ya, i'm just afraid my car might go. my buddy's STI swapped leggy just had it's turbo go, might have some engine damage too. we won't know til we get it apart and take a look. that has me a little scared now. :( finally to the point to save up for the new STI, i don't want to have to replace the tranny. of course, i'm told the future owner will be swapping it out to the sti 6mt later anyways.

well, you have no winter track days, right? that should limit how much abuse the tranny might see :D

Good luck on that, but i'm guessing you'll probably be alright... albeit on some previous conversations I had with IPT back in the day, they mentioned to me that our stock clutch packs were good to 250 or so wtq ... fwiw, that was back in march or so.

Mike

so, since you did the VB upgrade the same time you did the ATF switch, i suppose it makes that impossible to really tell a difference, eh? :lol: too bad. I'd be curious too.

and yes, i don't participate in the winter motorsports. no wheel to wheel racing for me unless you consider my every day driving in traffic. :lol:

66K on the car... so i've got plenty of miles....

48K on this tranny.

I'm exploring options now.

Mike

What options are you exploring? IPT upgraded tranny, Level 10 upgraded tranny , STi 6-speed swap ;)?

Damn I am still up in the air If I want to do the Amsoil Synthetic...Can anyone tell me any potential negatives in running it?

i dunno of any negatives... i sucked out some atf to see what the color was like, same color as the day the amsoil went in ... so i dunno ;)

but my tranny fluid was a disaster when i did the VB upgrade, so the clutch paks were probably already toasty.

I'm gonna stick with auto on this car because of ECU related PITA issues of a 6MT swap..... I'd love to do a 6mt spec b or sti swap...

I'll post up my results once that is all taken care of.

And of course, the car shifts great today... argh

Mike

I switched mine over to amsoil atf today and hopefully no problems.I feel like if you have any tranny issues it does'nt matter what kind of fluid you use. I dont see any real negatives with amsoil atf ,just dont expect it to fix any problems that may already exist.

I switched mine over to amsoil atf today and hopefully no problems.I feel like if you have any tranny issues it does'nt matter what kind of fluid you use. I dont see any real negatives with amsoil atf ,just dont expect it to fix any problems that may already exist.

I guess the only way to see if there might be any potential problems before switching is too look at the old fluid....

How often should you do a tranny flush and fill with the amsoil? I am guessing 20k would be on the very safe side....

Archived