LegacyGT.com

Latest Club Legacy mag, random notes

Stumbled into the bookstore by accident, and fell all the way too the automotive section. After picking myself up, the new Club Legacy mag caught my eye. As far as parts go for the new Legacy GT, now a good period from introduction - well, there is not much. Everybody is offering cat-back exhaust systems of some sort, with some offering sport-cat centre pipes as well. There is some stabilizer links from Prova - got $500 or so kicking around? - some stiffener bars for underneath (oh yeah, it feels limp as a bank safe...). Body kits are coming a bit quicker. There was a test of various intake systems. It ranged from a panel filter to various bolt-on ram pod systems. In general, any ram-pod system/piping that did not feature some sort of cold-air box had a hard time beating the panel-filter replacement - the stock airbox setup is quite good. The most interesting system I saw was what they called an induction box cover - instead of throwing out the airbox, a free-flow filter box bolted to the top of the airbox where the filter would go normally, and you simply left the top of the box off. Make that the side, to be accurate, but I think you get the picture. The panel filter had the best bang for the buck - about 10hp and 8-9 ft/lbs for $50 or so. The best of the rest doubled those gains - for $500 more. That was a ram pod/cold air box combination. Ram air type systems would likely give more once there was something to meter a/f ratios. There was also a discussion of tyre/wheel setups, I think they were mentioning that even 235 series 18-inch rubber would fit. As far as I can tell, no engine management yet. A couple of different suspension options - a few coil-overs, more lowering spring options. BTW, their base-line dyno of a 260ps automatic was 227ps and 32.1kg/m of torque - about 228 ft/lbs. The biggest intake gain was for 245ps and 34.5 kg/m of torque - 245ft/lbs. If they used the same dyno, base line for my old 280ps RSK was 247ps and 31.6 kg/m of torque. I wager that hp figures for the twin turbo and twinscroll are about the same, but the twinscroll makes about 10-15ft/lbs more torque. Cheers, Paul Hansen

[quote name='goneskiian']Hope you didn't injure yourself with that stumble! :lol: Thanks, as usual, for your input. Sounds like the GT is quite a capable beast bone stock (as you've been saying all along). :wink: -Ian[/quote] Yeah. Good thing it will be quite capable stock since I won't have much money for mods. :(

[quote name='PPower']That's a lot of gain for an intake? Doesn't quite sound right for a stock intake which seems fairly unobstructed. What gives? Intake + super duper shop fan = 20hp?[/quote] Depends on how much it leans out a/f ratios for whatever reason. There was no testing for reliability/knock included... Cheers, Paul Hansen

More random notes. Passed 1700km already. A 200km trip will certainly help pile on the mileage quicker. It cruises quite well at 140km/h, and averages about 12.5-12.7km/l at that speed - up the mountain. 2.0-litre motors are great for gas mileage. Eco mode does not work above 110km/h, though, which is also the cut-off for the Japanese cruise control. That must be the highest legal speed in Japan, or a bit over. DBW is great for cruising at any speed. You do trade off a tiny bit of response for the ability to hold speeds easily. I'm liking it, because it's actually fun to cruise around at 60km/h now. Or 80, 100, 120, 150. It is rather responsive, but more controlled since it's closer tuned to the engine than you can do with a manually controlled throttle. The only area that I don't like DBW is starting from a stop in the manual, it's hard to feel the ideal rpm point at low rpms. It also feels like they did somewhat artificially up the throttle response, with most happening before 80% throttle and not much after. Hasn't proven painful though. Despite the turning radius being the same on paper, it is better in real life. Maybe not by much, but you can tell when you are backing into the same tight spot you always have and it's easier to get in. It also shows on the road as well. I'm certainly not complaining about that. There is not much of a dead-centre spot on the steering wheel. There is enough that it isn't dreadful for driving the freeway, but it is noticeably quick-reflexed one off of dead centre, and it feels like it wanders a bit more on the freeway right now, until I adjust for it. BTW, turn-in is fantastic. It's much more like being in a RWD than ever before. In fact, in a blindfold test, I'd probably accuse a 350Z of being AWD before I would the new Legacy. Nissan, you listening? Take out that frikking "safe" understeer. I saw a new Legacy 3.0R coming from behind and thought it was a maserati. Which isn't the greatest thing from my POV, because I don't like the maserati front end much. That is my main complaint towards the new Legacy right now, in that the front end looks a little weak from some angles. It just needs a little more character around the bottom half, I feel. I'm not sure if I can or will change that any time soon. Most of the aural excitement of the car comes from the engine bay induction area right now. It's a nice, raspy growl, but there is not much there that says boxer at all, and if you've not had a boxer before, you won't be able to tell the difference between this car and most other i4's. I don't know if that is a good thing, because the beat was half the charm before. Lets see how I feel after the exhaust is opened up. Cheers, Paul Hansen

• 5 months later...
[quote name='apexjapan']Stumbled into the bookstore by accident, and fell all the way too the automotive section. After picking myself up, the new Club Legacy mag caught my eye. As far as parts go for the new Legacy GT, now a good period from introduction - well, there is not much. Everybody is offering cat-back exhaust systems of some sort, with some offering sport-cat centre pipes as well. There is some stabilizer links from Prova - got $500 or so kicking around? - some stiffener bars for underneath (oh yeah, it feels limp as a bank safe...). Body kits are coming a bit quicker. There was a test of various intake systems. It ranged from a panel filter to various bolt-on ram pod systems. In general, any ram-pod system/piping that did not feature some sort of cold-air box had a hard time beating the panel-filter replacement - the stock airbox setup is quite good. The most interesting system I saw was what they called an induction box cover - instead of throwing out the airbox, a free-flow filter box bolted to the top of the airbox where the filter would go normally, and you simply left the top of the box off. Make that the side, to be accurate, but I think you get the picture. The panel filter had the best bang for the buck - about 10hp and 8-9 ft/lbs for $50 or so. The best of the rest doubled those gains - for $500 more. That was a ram pod/cold air box combination. Ram air type systems would likely give more once there was something to meter a/f ratios. There was also a discussion of tyre/wheel setups, I think they were mentioning that even 235 series 18-inch rubber would fit. As far as I can tell, no engine management yet. A couple of different suspension options - a few coil-overs, more lowering spring options. BTW, their base-line dyno of a 260ps automatic was 227ps and 32.1kg/m of torque - about 228 ft/lbs. The biggest intake gain was for 245ps and 34.5 kg/m of torque - 245ft/lbs. If they used the same dyno, base line for my old 280ps RSK was 247ps and 31.6 kg/m of torque. I wager that hp figures for the twin turbo and twinscroll are about the same, but the twinscroll makes about 10-15ft/lbs more torque. Cheers, Paul Hansen[/quote] Hi may I ask which brand of after market intake produced the 245ps & 34.5 kg/m of torque result? Incidently, I have the June 2004 issue of Club Legacy Magazine and they have a group test of various intakes too. Apparently, the Gruppe M (Filter Hyper Charger) intake tops the list with 243ps and 34.6 kg/m.

I'll see if I can find the magazine again - sounds like the same one, I may have gotten the figures off a few percentages due to memory failings of old age. ;) With a bit of luck, will have dyno figures for the AVO panel filter and mufflers by some time in the next few days. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

Guest *Jedimaster*
I like how you told the story :lol: Reminds me of that old song- "I was walking down the street, when something caught my eye.. and dragged it 50 feet" :lol:

Archived