LegacyGT.com

Serious Open Wheel (F1 / Indy) accidents over the years...., Very well done video....

mccorry

Warning... some of these are footage of fatal accidents as well.... be advised.

Overall, I thought it a very well done and respectful video with alot of good information in the comments....

Definately worth a watch, IMHO.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP5lTJC2YZU&mode=related&search=]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

The director and the posters are very respectful, as well.....

That really brightened my day!

the moral here is to understand the power we possess and respect it.

As a former Formula driver, the vid brought back a lot of bad memories. In the sixties and early seventies a lot of people got killed and terribly injured. Mark Donahue, who I raced with (well he was in a Camaro and I was in a NSU TTS(:eek:) was a nice guy but Peter Revson was a real nice guy.

Racing a F car back then was definitely not for the faint of heart.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

It sure didn't look pretty.

Things have changed a lot. The pic I have provided is a pic of the frame of the first formula car I raced (part of some guys restoration pics of an antique race car:eek:).

Note the big tubes on the side, they are the gas tanks. The smaller ones are for hot water from the radiator which was just in front of your feet. The battery was located in front of your right foot.

Them tubes are mighty strong, I bent one with my left hip with the help of a fence. My hip lost thou!!!:lol::lol:

quantumframe.jpg.ca3d3a38e3c35c6882f1b1addc9c8598.jpg

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

No wonder they were death traps

They weren't death traps, they were state of the art race cars!!!!!:eek: Nothing like driving a 150 mph death trap:lol::lol::lol:

A 65 Mustang with a V8 was the real death trap:lol::lol: Let alone a SS396.:lol::lol::lol:

They weren't death traps, they were state of the art race cars!!!!!:eek: Nothing like driving a 150 mph death trap:lol::lol::lol:

A 65 Mustang with a V8 was the real death trap:lol::lol: Let alone a SS396.:lol::lol::lol:

Robin.... I'd love to know more about your racing history. :munch:

I dig the historical SCCA and Formula stuff.

Robin.... I'd love to know more about your racing history. :munch:

I dig the historical SCCA and Formula stuff.

Gee I don't know. I lost a LOT more races than I won. I had a lot of fun. SCCA is a bunch of pro's (back then) who will do anything to win. Dollars beats talent almost always. When I raced I either smiled or laughed, and almost never got really angry.

It was a ball and I still miss it.

I never made any money at it, but I did get people to pay for it (or at least help)

I have never even been to the drag races.

I still will get a little crazy sometimes and go through a corner at 9/10s ( the old days are gone) When I do that and if my SO is riding, she will get pissed and whack me. Even that pain cannot erase the shit eating grin on my face.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gee I don't know. I lost a LOT more races than I won. I had a lot of fun. SCCA is a bunch of pro's (back then) who will do anything to win. Dollars beats talent almost always. When I raced I either smiled or laughed, and almost never got really angry.

It was a ball and I still miss it.

I never made any money at it, but I did get people to pay for it (or at least help)

I have never even been to the drag races.

I still will get a little crazy sometimes and go through a corner at 9/10s ( the old days are gone) When I do that and if my SO is riding, she will get pissed and whack me. Even that pain cannot erase the shit eating grin on my face.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Robin, have you ever seen the Goodwood Festival on Speed? Not the hillclimb but the vintage races at the old Goodwood circuit. Those crazy Brits race their vintage cars now like you raced them back in the day. Unlike the US Vintage racing, the cars in Britain can race as they were in their days (ie, without modern rollbars or harnesses). And those Brits drive them 10/10. Adrian Newey (F1 designer) destroyed his priceless GT40. If you really want crazy, watch the grand prix cars from the 1950s where the drivers have no harnesses or rollbars. A few years ago one flipped off the start and Autosport had a picture of the car 10-20 feet in the air and driver was out of the car and had even more altitude. He lived, fortunately.

Robin, have you ever seen the Goodwood Festival on Speed? Not the hillclimb but the vintage races at the old Goodwood circuit. Those crazy Brits race their vintage cars now like you raced them back in the day. Unlike the US Vintage racing, the cars in Britain can race as they were in their days (ie, without modern rollbars or harnesses). And those Brits drive them 10/10. Adrian Newey (F1 designer) destroyed his priceless GT40. If you really want crazy, watch the grand prix cars from the 1950s where the drivers have no harnesses or rollbars. A few years ago one flipped off the start and Autosport had a picture of the car 10-20 feet in the air and driver was out of the car and had even more altitude. He lived, fortunately.

Yes, I never miss it. It looks like so much fun. Speed Channel also has wheel to wheel vintage races, some of which are really exciting.

Archived