LegacyGT.com

Hitch Mounted Bike Rack

Bdubs

As far as hitch-mounted bike racks are concerned, SportWorks used to make the best hitch-mounted bike rack, but they sold their automotive line to Thule. Here's Thule's version of it:

http://www.rackwarehouse.com/t917.html

It accommodates any bike, regardless of frame design. This is unlike the bike racks that are made only to carry traditional bike frames with a horizontal top tube.

I was looking at a similar rack for my bike (since it doesn't have a traditional top tube) but after looking at the pictures of the hidden hitch, I'd be concerned about how low the bike would hover. Especially when paired with a 40lb downhill bike.

For now, I'm storing by bike in my trunk with rear seats folded forward. Not exactly practical but at least I don't have to worry about my bike being stolen or damaged during transit. :)

• 1 month later...
That's nice! BTW, the Hidden Hitch doesn't hang as low on the wagon as it does on the sedan pictured earlier. It's actually pretty unobtrusive looking on my wagon, fitting right below the bumper, but it does occasionally drag on steep driveways. Conversely, the prior pictures of the Hidden Hitch on the sedan showed an, IMO, unacceptably large gap between the bumper and the hitch.

It actually comes with the wiring harness for trailer lights as well. I never did find the harness in the trunk though.

The sedan's are not pre-wired for the trailer lights...they have to be spliced in.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another chapter to this damn hitch and bike rack thing. I go and test the rack to see how it looks on the car, and the flanges on the hitch get in the way of securing the rack. So, now I am searching for ideas on how to fix this issue.

Its either going to be with a die grinder :icon_twis to cut part of the flange off so I can get the bolt in the hole. Or, somehow get another bolt the same dia. and thread size with a smaller head. I like cutting things, but its going to involve taking the hitch off the car, and I'm sick of getting sand and salt in my eyes.

Yet another chapter to this damn hitch and bike rack thing. I go and test the rack to see how it looks on the car, and the flanges on the hitch get in the way of securing the rack. So, now I am searching for ideas on how to fix this issue.

Its either going to be with a die grinder :icon_twis to cut part of the flange off so I can get the bolt in the hole. Or, somehow get another bolt the same dia. and thread size with a smaller head. I like cutting things, but its going to involve taking the hitch off the car, and I'm sick of getting sand and salt in my eyes.

Neither the Thule or Yakima rack securing bolts or lock kits will fit the OE hitch. A friend welded another bolt to the Yakima bolt for me, so I can at least use the rack. Check my post in this thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1603102&highlight=hitch#post1603102

I also am going to cut off the hitch gussets so I can revert to the attachment method that Yakima intended.

Good luck. Neither Subaru or Yakima were ANY help to me, and I contacted both of them about the issue.

-- Steve

Archived