LegacyGT.com

SI drive knob relocation

one69chev

As has been posted in a previous thread, i recently purchased an '07 LGT with 5EAT. And being an '07, it came equipped with the dreaded "SI" drive and a huge control knob. on my '06 NA sedan, that spot on the console was occupied by a little cubbie. and given the choice between a little extra storage or a huge silver knob, i went for some storage space and a stealth location for said knob....

So i started thinking about moving the "si" knob and converting the vacant space in the console for storage. i checked out some cool vacation pics before starting my project of course, but the following pics illustrate the move.

First: i disassembled the console box, cup holder, inner box and arm rest extender. *this mod will not work without an extending armrest because that is where in si drive will be moved to*

Second: i added approx 6" of length to the black wire with silver tracer that runs to the seat heater switch. I also removed a plastic rib from the outside of the "inner" console box to route the harness around the rear of the console and up through the hole that the end of the armrest occupies.

Third: i removed my center arm rest extender lid and unscrewed the four counter-sunk screws securing the soft upper pad from the plastic base. then i peeled back the vinyl covering from the corners of the arm-rest lid to expose 2 screws. by removing these screws, i was able to snake the connector and wire on the inside of the extender, in order to keep it hidden. Also, there are ribs in the plastic base to add rigidity, one of which will have to be removed to allow free movement of the harness as the lid is raised and lowered.

Fourth: reassembly. replace the screws and vinyl. place the "si" drive between the lid and the base with the rounded side up--i painted the screw-hole ears black to help the blend in-- and secure the lid to the base again with the original screws. it's a little tight, but the screws have enough thread. Reassemble the remainder of the console and reinstall it in the car.

Sorry for the lack of pic detail, i'm not the best photog. My second objective in this mod was to make it as non-invasive as possible, without drilling holes or cutting any visible plastic. Now the "si" knob is at my finger tips.....and if i trade in the car, it's totally reversible.

DSC03072.thumb.jpg.db998aed3beddee8c3c8c9a10b02627e.jpg

DSC03068.thumb.jpg.bc4f6d36c306f11df6237c32d0ddfa6a.jpg

DSC03074.thumb.jpg.22557ea004f5e8826b7d8c038071e457.jpg

DSC03085.thumb.jpg.155b54f453fbe85b7232b49b18cec7cf.jpg

DSC03088.thumb.jpg.1794e32546074a7ab914eca66fec5a4e.jpg

Does your model come with the SI Drive controls on the steering wheel? If so, have you thought about just takingthe knob off completely?

08's do...not 07's.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Does your model come with the SI Drive controls on the steering wheel? If so, have you thought about just takingthe knob off completely?

Might also add, the S# control on the steering wheel only toggles between your last setting and S#. It's not a 3-setting switch.

if i did have the redundant steering wheel controls, it would've been a lot simpler, but i was not so fortunate.....

Man, I was thinking during a meeting I had. That spot is good for an IPOD but I don't think it would be deep enough to completely hide it. BUT, it would be a perfect spot for change. I always have tons of change and I usually store it in a cupholder thingy I made. If I did this and fabricated a little door and change area it would be a great spot to hold all my loose shit. I am glad you did this, it got my gears going!

I think the SI knob makes more sense on manual cars. At first I didn't like the location but know I like the process of shifting and quick change of SI.

I use S# to accelerate up to highway speed. Once I finish accelerating and shift into 6th gear for cruising. I just put my hand down in same shifting motion to tap it back into I mode. When I need the extra thrust of S and S# I can usually forsee the need and probably need a downshift. Therefore, my hand is already in that area and it is easy process to select turn the knob to S or S# then downshift.

I think the SI knob makes more sense on manual cars. At first I didn't like the location but know I like the process of shifting and quick change of SI.

I use S# to accelerate up to highway speed. Once I finish accelerating and shift into 6th gear for cruising. I just put my hand down in same shifting motion to tap it back into I mode. When I need the extra thrust of S and S# I can usually forsee the need and probably need a downshift. Therefore, my hand is already in that area and it is easy process to select turn the knob to S or S# then downshift.

It's always a plus when you can keep your hand as close to your knob as possible.......:eek:

Man, I was thinking during a meeting I had. That spot is good for an IPOD but I don't think it would be deep enough to completely hide it. BUT, it would be a perfect spot for change. I always have tons of change and I usually store it in a cupholder thingy I made. If I did this and fabricated a little door and change area it would be a great spot to hold all my loose shit. I am glad you did this, it got my gears going!

i'm waiting for another part to complete the mission. i ordered a rubber cup holder out of an olds to take up the space by the vacated drive mechanism.

i'll let you know monday when it comes in how well it worked....

• 3 weeks later...

But this mode is only affects acceleration and gear changes. When you are crusing down the highway - there is no difference whatsowever what mode you in.

So what's the point of doing this extra operation of switching between modes? Wouldn't you get the same result by switching to S# and leaving it there?

Vlad( thinking about buying GT and trying to understand things)

Vlad, sure it does affect things. If you have it in 'I', you're gonna dog. Place it in 'S' and it'll be like a regular GT. Put it in 'S#' and you'll start feeling response similar to an STI...its an aggressive correlation between the pedal and reaction of the engine.

Due to the ratio of how the accelerator and TB plate are tied in (electronically) using 'S#' in city traffic can be rather jumpy and tricky, unless you want to drive with that kind of response all the time.

The button just gives you options.

I happen to like the soon to come feature of switching between maps right there on the console.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Archived