LegacyGT.com

To an '05+ LGT from an '00 RS. Thoughts? Who's done it?

Siper2

My thoughts:

Wheels/tires look original. It would mean that they have 80K+ but tread looks decent. It would mean that car used different tires (at least tires maybe wheels too) for some part of its life (or I cannot see tread properly).

My 05 GT has 82K miles and has original battery and definately less rust (but it sits in garage when not driven). I am in MA.

Krzys

PS What about oil change record? How many miles between changes?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about the oil change record, I didn't ask that. I can ask him but he may not know either.

Tires are less than decent, they'll pass inspection but not by much. That's fine with me, I'll probably get a set of Nokian WR for those wheels. I have a set of '05 GT wheels on my RS, with Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S on them. They're a little worn too but not quite as much. They'd be cool for next spring at least, then I'll get some new tires or perhaps 18"s. :cool:

Not sure about the oil change record, I didn't ask that. I can ask him but he may not know either.

Tires are less than decent, they'll pass inspection but not by much. That's fine with me, I'll probably get a set of Nokian WR for those wheels. I have a set of '05 GT wheels on my RS, with Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S on them. They're a little worn too but not quite as much. They'd be cool for next spring at least, then I'll get some new tires or perhaps 18"s. :cool:

Ive got the Pzero Nero all seasons on my legacy Pirelli makes a nice tire. also have Pirelli on my motorcycle

Yep they're very nice. I previously had some Dunlop SP9000 for summer on the RS, but when they were done I decided I wasn't aggressive enough to really need a full summer/performance tire. The Neros have been very good, though I do miss the extra grip. So I may go back to summer-only.

The WR will be sufficient for central PA winters. We don't get much snow, usually. I have some Nokian RSi on my OEM 16"s right now, which I got when we moved here from NH. I was expecting as much snow as we got back home, but it's not even close. The RSi is overkill, here.

yeah last winter i got by with the stock summer tires on my stock 18s but this year im ready with some all seasons. last winter I lived on campus at my college in a townhouse so i never had to go out i walked to class & could wait out snowy days to go grocery shopping etc...

Hehe. Having the Pirelli A/S tires just allowed me to leave those on a little longer in spring/fall so I wouldn't have to use the winters as much. So if I get the WRs, it'll just reverse the situation, and next year's new summer tires won't have to be used quite as much.

The ASE mechanic looked at the car yesterday and thinks it's in really good shape. The owner also ran it to Subaru to have one of their techs give a third-party opinion. They saw no issues and thought that the rust was cosmetic. The owner told me that Subaru confirmed that a compression/leakdown shouldn't be necessary to run, since the engine seemed to run very smoothly.

However he's willing to have the mechanic run the c/l test anyway, if I want. I told him yes, I would probably end up having it done anyway. So may as well do it now. So I should know about that soon.

(The mechanic I guess has been working for about 30 years, and bought a garage several years ago that was recently purchased by the Ford dealership he also works for. So now he manages the garage as well, and is like the lead tech there. So that's cool.)

I asked that the oil line, or whatever it is that's really rusty in that pic, be replaced. No problem there, either. I talked with the owner over the phone last night for a while, as well. The car was a "green light" car at the auction, meaning I guess that it had a background title check and had no issues reported. The auction is also required to buy green light cars back within one week, if the car doesn't run right. There's also yellow light (questionable) and red light (shady) cars that are sold, I assume at greater risk.

I always have trusted the guy, but some of this does ease things, regardless.

Heh, yeah he's a good dude. :) He's been working for this guy for about 3 years, the other guy (the business owner) has been buying/selling auction cars for like 25 years. Mostly luxury cars and now and then, some exotics. He doesn't run a dealership or anything, he makes minimal profit per car and just makes up for it in quantity.

Kinda like house flipping I guess...

Anyway I'm glad that he was willing to take care of those things, that helps this decision since SO many people on like three forums were throwing up red flags over the rusty bits under the hood. It probably IS cosmetic, but... still made me uneasy.

I found out on the phone last night that they're working on a 600hp Impreza STi that they plan to sell on NASIOC some time soon. Yowzas.

Hey guys.

Dunno why I didn't think of this before, but here's a cut/paste of the CarFax records...

FYI I've already emailed Bill Rapp in Syracuse to see if it's possible to disclose what the services were. Probably regular maintenance.

I do see that wheel bearings were replaced, but I had that done in my RS a few years back as well.

05/13/2005

14 Pennsylvania

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Oxford, PA

Vehicle purchase reported

Odometer reading reported

06/07/2005

Pennsylvania

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Oxford, PA

Title issued or updated

First owner reported

Registered as

personal vehicle

07/13/2006

43,236 Bill Rapp Superstore

Syracuse, NY

315-437-2501

http://www.billrapp.com

Vehicle serviced

Door window checked

11/09/2006

Pennsylvania

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Oxford, PA

Registration issued or renewed

02/15/2007

62,000 Bill Rapp Superstore

Syracuse, NY

315-437-2501

Vehicle serviced

04/10/2007

68,718 Bill Rapp Superstore

Syracuse, NY

315-437-2501

Vehicle serviced

05/14/2007

71,952 Roberts Auto Mall

Downingtown, PA

610-269-8200

http://www.robertsautomall.

com

Vehicle serviced

Rear wheel bearing/hub replaced

09/14/2007

83,012 Pennsylvania

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Manheim, PA

Title issued or updated

Dealer took title of this vehicle

while it was in inventory

09/02/2008

Subaru of America No recalls open for repair

• 2 weeks later...
I went from a MY00 2.5RS with all the basic bolt ons done to it and as much as I loved it I love my 2007 LGT much more. A newer car has better amenities and better reliability not to mention a turbo.
^ n00bs below this line

Yeah. Plus I think the LGTs are better looking. Not to mention safer and all of the things that come with a newer vehicle. :)

I am officially buying it!

Pick it up on Thursday, most likely. Selling the RS on Wednesday. I'll post pics and all of that once it's cleaned up.

Yeah it's something like that. Hmm wait ......... no that's not right. I think we're actually $11-1200/year, but that's for two cars, the RS and the '01 LL Bean. Yeah that's closer to it.

I'm hoping I don't cry like a newborn when the RS drives away. I'll probably be gasping for breath.

I got mine to stay in the family. I gave it to my younger brother (he had a really bad accident and totalled his old car) to try and help. It will suck to come home and see what he has done to it, he isnt the most conscientious person in the world. I still have some more stuff to get off it too (sways, header, cat, and exhuast) when I fly home for thanksgiving.

What kind? :)

Myles at Racecomp Engineering in MD just sold a set of mint 18" GC-05s for $1200. That is DIRT cheap. Ugh... should've done it. Oh well.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1579609

I have a comment in that, or one of the other threads about the sale. I was lamenting that they weren't 17"s, which would've been nice on my RS. But that was before I knew I was selling it for a car that looks so nice with 18"s, the Legacy!

Archived