LegacyGT.com

To an '05+ LGT from an '00 RS. Thoughts? Who's done it?

Siper2

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd give this a BUMP. :)

Had a couple people look at the RS and like it, couple more quasi-offers via email.

Having some separation woes, heh, not sure if I can let the car go. I know it's more immediately financially responsible to keep the car, since it's been paid off for 3.5 years, but it's also a seven-year-old car that's going to start needing more attention. Like my paint bubbles that'll have to be repaired, and I don't want to do a half-assed job with it. Plus my STi suspension has like 120K highway miles on it, not sure how long those struts will last... Replacements these days are $850, not the $250 I got them for in 2001. Prodrive WR strut/spring set is $1700. Ouch.

I could fix my slowly leaking headgasket for $650 at East Coast Swappers in MA, not bad, then pick up a decent exhaust and maybe an i-Speed ECU reflash. Couple grand. But it's still and old car with 150K miles on it.

Or...

A still used, but much newer car with really low mileage, a good price, and it's already got all the power I need. Of course I'll mod it, but it'd be perfect right away. Cost me monthly payments though.

Sometimes I just want to be a normal person and not be in to cars. Get in, drive, forget about it. But noooooooo.... :D:D

Boost baby boost! Oh, that and interior room.

I went from my old RS coupe to a LGT wagon. I couldn't imagine trying to get my 1-year old daughter in-and-out of the two doors of the RS, let alone trying to wrestle her into the car seat.

If you can afford to keep both of them, why not! :D Then you'd have the best of both worlds. Just don't start modding the LGT - then you'll have two mistresses to take care of rather than just one. ;)

LaterZ!

Darren!!

Yikes, forgot about this thread. :) I actually did decide to keep the RS, we decided not to spend the money on car payments. We'd postponed house hunting but may still be considering it for now, so.... House > car. :)

Still, yeah I wish I could have both cars. Boy do I wish...

• 3 weeks later...
Yikes, forgot about this thread. :) I actually did decide to keep the RS, we decided not to spend the money on car payments. We'd postponed house hunting but may still be considering it for now, so.... House > car. :)

you'll be back...

Go Cardinals!

hey siper, fellow rs25 junkie over here...i know what you mean about having both cars. im in the same boat with the legacy gt...cept im lucky enough to have my dad begging to buy my rs for himself, that way when the day comes that a swap is more logical it might actually be possible. goodluck with your rs! im hoping to go lgt wagon by may.

• 8 months later...

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack. :D

Just dropped a fat red EDIT in the first post. I did not buy that '05 wagon at the time, don't know if I told you guys are not. I thought about it pretty hard, but the price was indeed too much. So. I kept my RS.

The other day, I found another one. It was a one-owner car, traded for a BMW; the dealership sold it to auction. A guy I know (who works for a maintenance/performance garage about 90 min. north of here) bought it for personal use. He has other cars and decided to sell it.

I don't want to divulge too much information, but... I have a buyer for the RS. Which I'm selling for about $6K plus a couple Prodrive parts I have in my garage. Let's just say that, with that as a downpayment, and assuming about a 6% interest rate (my credit is a hair north of 800), I'll have a 4-year payment of $138/mo. About $12 less if I sell the parts and roll that into the payment.

The culprit: '05 LGT Limited, SWP, 5MT, black interior. ~84K mi. I think, probably used as a business car. CarFax is clean. Current owner (who my sister-in-law bought a '98 Brighton wagon from in 2006) says the interior is 9.5/10. He's pretty sure the car was garaged. I hope to see it today or tomorrow to take my own photos, but here's what he sent so far:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Siper2/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20Limited/GT-Phil-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Siper2/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20Limited/GT-Phil-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Siper2/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20Limited/GT-Phil-3.jpg

EVERYONE wants me to buy it. Including Leonardo, who I talk to all the time anyway. (He'll be in here to pester me, just you watch. ;) ) It's "common sense vs. RS nostalgia" basically. I can't think of a single, realistic advantage to the RS versus the LGT, other than perhaps nimble handling due to its size.

So now I open the floodgates, to all of you. :D

Siper2, have seen you on RS25.com for a couple years now. I picked up a LGT in May, love it. I miss the RS a lot but the LGT is great. I was looking at the regal blue and a white one like pictured above. I wish i would of got the white one but it was too far away from where i was located at the time.

Old

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Subaruski/P6150070.jpg

New

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Subaruski/n22902596_38250571_7486.jpg

Received a couple of interior shots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Siper2/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20Limited/GT-Phil-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Siper2/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20Limited/GT-Phil-5.jpg

It is, but I have 156K on my RS. I did 25K/year for 4 years. These days it's probably less than 10K, so it'll be fine. :)

I'm sure the GT was a business car, that's what the current owner thinks. It's a very, very good deal.

I think it depends a lot on what kind of shape your old car is in.

I'm a big fan of driving cars into the ground, but at some point things will just start falling apart and it's not worth it to keep dumping money into them. FWIW, I bought my legacy in 2008 and my previous car was a 1998. I was actually kind of glad it was totaled in an accident because it was starting to nickel and dime with ( window regulators, AC stopped working, etc )

If you think you're at that point, go ahead and pick up a used LGT. Don't worry about reliability too much, as you'll have the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty to protect you for a few years.

If your car is still pretty solid, why not just keep it and save the money? I enjoy driving mine, but overall compared to the amount of money spent on it - it really doesn't really bring me that much happiness.

I would sell your RS privately than trading it in if you could, you should end up with at least $1000 more in your pocket. As far as the swap it's a no brainer if you are considering modifying the LGT vs the RS.

Just keep looking on Autotrader, YahooCars, AOL auto's, BJ's car service, etc and you can find the right car. I looked for about 2 months and finally bought a 2005 Outback XT with 24,000 miles for $14,125 and paid $600 to have it shipped to NJ from Chicago...I also paid $125 for an independent service to go to the dealership and give me a full inspection/report/pictures of the car before I bought it.

The deals are out there and I am 110% happy I waited until I found a turbo XT, it's fun to see peoples faces as a wagon dusts them.

Why not post what they want for that LGT, I hope you get it for less than $12K with those miles.

Oh alright. :D

It's $11,900. I'll be getting $6,000 for my RS, plus some brand new parts I never got around to installing. Got pre-approved for a loan yesterday for the difference, about $6,000. Their best APR was 6.8%, however I have an 814 credit score, so it got me 5.89% instead. Comes to $138/mo. for 4 years. I'd have it paid off in half that, if not less.

My RS has 156K miles on it, and is in good shape, with a few complaints. I found a local painter who was going to do the front clip for me, and blend in the rest, as well as touch up a couple small things. That would've fixed all the small rust issues. New P1 springs in my garage, and Prodrive oval-tip axleback, which I was saving for post-swap.

My plan was an EJ205 swap. However that would've cost me between $3-6K, depending on where I went for the work. Swapped GCs do have decent resale, but it won't last forever. Not to mention that the '05 LGT is already above where that engine would put me. It's a more refined ride (I'd still eventually probably do spec.B struts and Swift springs), newer, bigger, safer, faster....... The only thread holding the RS to my side is nostalgia.

And there's a lot of it. But I also have to be realistic.

I'm doing that today. :) The owner was able to bring it down to a place about 45 min. east of me, so I'm going myself, or with my wife if she can make it. I'll be taking more photos too.

I see a lot of non-Ltd. GTs for say $15K or a tick lower, but I guess most Limiteds are a good bit higher. Lower mileage of course dictates higher price. That white wagon I started this thread with, was $24K. Beautiful to be sure, but...... ouch.

Archived