LegacyGT.com

HID Install Problem

SlightlyEvil

Tried putting HIDs on a LGT this weekend. Unplugged battery, wired em up, plugged battery in, turned car to ACC mode, lights go on fine. Try start car, makes PSSST sound, car goes dead. I mean DEAD - no lights on dash, no sound, no dinging, noothing. Unplug battery, return stock H7's to sockets, plug everything back in, plug battery back in, car starts right away and runs fine.

HIDs worked ok in ACC mode but the car died when I tried to start it, why would it do this? Any ideas? I think I saw a post about this a long time back but couldn't find it through search...

Advice?

Didn't disable the DRLs since the switch ont he light stalk was never set to 'drl' mode it shouldn't have made a difference.

They're wired normally...

Stock H7 harness > HID spades > Ballast > HID harness back to bulb assy.

I don't see how it can be a wiring issue since they switched on ok in ACC mode on the ignition, but when i tried to actually start the car it just went dead...

Does it make a cranking noise, or nothing at all? Are you trying to turn on the car with the lights on?

Didn't disable the DRLs since the switch ont he light stalk was never set to 'drl' mode it shouldn't have made a difference.

Huh? DRL mode on the stalk? Wait what? :confused::confused:

Please explain further.

X

---

Didn't crank at all. Nothing. At first I turned the key to ACC mode (where the dash lights come on, headlights, etc) and the lights worked fine. The light selector twist-thing on the wiper stalk is what I was referring to, next to the steering column, was set to "lights on" the whole time, not "lights off" (ie. the mode where the DRL are enabled, or in DRL mode)

I am guessing a low battery situation. If you want to avoid the DRL's being on just put on your parking brake before turning on the car.

I say drive it around for a while, let the battery fully recharge and then do the switch. Do not turn the lights on before you turn on the car.

Just my 2'c

X

---

Maybe try wiring them up, disabling your DRL's and then start the car with the light switch in the OFF possition. Those ballasts draw a pretty good amount of power when they fire up. Maybe they drew too much power to allow the car to start correctly? (That's a guess...just throwing suggestions out there.) My ballasts whine a little too. I think that's normal.

Yea I did plug them into the stock headlight harness actually, not directly into the battery. I'm just worried that perhaps something could be damaged - but it seemed like the car detected something was wrong when it tried to turn over, and flipped a breaker somewhere or something? It wouldn't even recognize the key in the ignition until I disconnected the battery and reset the ECU.

At which point it did something very strange - wiped the AccessPort Base Map clean off the car, when driving it the car would just die when the turbo was going to kick in. I re-installed the AP and then the car worked fine.

I'm still scratching my head over this... I don't want to hve to go through reinstalling the AP base and rt maps again...

what? you plugged hid bulbs into your stock harness?

or you cut your stock harness to go to the ballasts and then to the bulb?

maybe you blew a main fuse...

From his post:

Stock H7 harness > HID spades > Ballast > HID harness back to bulb assy.

One thing may not be relate to another, but see, there is another variable, an AP. I second the suggetion to disable your DRl's before you connect the HID's.

X

---

No no no I dunno why this is so complicated to understand - I must suck at explaining it, I didn't cut anything or do anything odd. I basically just followed the walk-through! No weird wiring setups or splicing anything.

I plugged the HIDs (which have 4 plugs each - 3 used to connect to ballast, 1 to connect to the stock black wiring harness) in, they worked in ACC mode, went and tried to start the car, it died. Wouldn't turn over, no dash lights, nothing. Sounded like a PSST noise. Unplugged the battery again, installed stock lights, everything on car worked fine (including the stock lights).

So if I had blown a main fuse, even the stock lights would no longer be working, or there would be some other issue, correct?

Phil, it's a GT HID kit from Terrence on TSC. It's a plug n' play kit, yes, basically like any other.

The ballasts were sitting on a separate piece of plastic on top of the engine (since I was just testing the wiring) and weren't touching anything metal. I assume though that would make no difference since when you install them you just double sided tape them to the inside of the engine bay anyways and I have never read anything about them having to be isolated/grounded/whatever in any FAQs or the intall guide that came with the kit.

I have no aftermarket intake system, but I am running the ecu with stage 2 AP maps.

Oh, another thing, There was an audible whine coming from the ballast... nothing freakish loud, just what I assumed was normal electronics whine.

100% normal. you've seemed to narrow your problem directly the the xenon kit itself. They do draw ALOT more power the halogens during warmup 20-30amps!

Very possible having the lamps on during startup is drawing too much power on the crappy oem battery. First mod to my car was a new optima batt because of how crappy the oem one was!

I would test each ballast by directly wiring the + and - to your battery. MAKE SURE THE BULBS ARE CONNECTED !!!!!! If both work then :iam:

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I'm still at a loss as to what caused this 'short' - that's all I can assume it was. Something must've shorted and either the ballast or the car (I'm assuming its more likely the car) flipped some sort of breaker or fuse or something that was only reset by unplugging the battery.

I'm pretty basic with electrical stuff, I know how to unplug the battery right and etc, but would putting the ballast in the vicinity of the engine, alternator, or starter motor cause this sort of short out whhen the thing tried to crank over?

Any way to test the ballasts/bulbs to make sure I didn't damage them without wiring them into the car's harness first? The manual says it's possible to wire them directly to the battery but then makes reference to a special wiring harness needed for this (which I assume is simply just longer wires since the stock wires from the HID wouldn't reach when the bulbs are in the housing?)

fuse will not fix itself when you disconnect the battery!

only thing i can think about is that your batt didnt have much juice, you turn the hids on after install and it drained it even more...

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Yea a fuse wont fix itself and if I had blown the fuse for the light harness, my stock bulbs wouldn't be working now, right? So I'm guessing it was either a breaker in the ballast for safety, or something in the ECU that detected something outta the ordinary and killed the ignition process (unlikely but hell I'm guessing here).

Again, not an expert here but the HIDs had only been powered in ACC mode for about 10 seconds before I started the car, and if the battery was that low I would figure it'd manifest itself in other ways when the stock bulbs were back in (longer crank times to start, etc), no?

Archived