LegacyGT.com

What Speed in What Gear on 5EAT?

from what i am told and experienced when i test drove the 07 5eat, is instead of D, Sport, and Manual, it's more or less I, Sport, and Sport #. I is a very very dummied (boring) mode for the best fuel economy, while Sport is more or less closer to what Drive is in the 05/06, then Sport # is like the Sport in 05, but with better/smoother shifting, not so jerky and clunky. my car's far from stock and has been for quite some time, so it's hard to compare to a stock 05. however, after test driving the 07, it didn't seem any big difference from my 05 when it was stock that i could remember, though the sport # was definitely smoother transitioning from one gear to the next. the Sport was just like driving the car in Drive and "I" was just lame.

I am hoping the dealer gets another 08 5EAT LGT in so i can take her for a test drive and see what the difference is as they seem to have "improved" the shifting even a little more. if it's something like what my valve body upgrade did to mine, than definitely the 08 will be able to handle more power and shift cleaner than previous models.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

from what i am told and experienced when i test drove the 07 5eat, is instead of D, Sport, and Manual, it's more or less I, Sport, and Sport #. I is a very very dummied (boring) mode for the best fuel economy, while Sport is more or less closer to what Drive is in the 05/06, then Sport # is like the Sport in 05, but with better/smoother shifting, not so jerky and clunky. my car's far from stock and has been for quite some time, so it's hard to compare to a stock 05. however, after test driving the 07, it didn't seem any big difference from my 05 when it was stock that i could remember, though the sport # was definitely smoother transitioning from one gear to the next. the Sport was just like driving the car in Drive and "I" was just lame.

I am hoping the dealer gets another 08 5EAT LGT in so i can take her for a test drive and see what the difference is as they seem to have "improved" the shifting even a little more. if it's something like what my valve body upgrade did to mine, than definitely the 08 will be able to handle more power and shift cleaner than previous models.

PLEASE read the just released Drive publication. it talks about the 2nd gen 5eat in the tribeca. looks like a different t/c and revised ratios along with different programming to work it all through.

so...technically...one could either get the 08 tranny alone with the t/c or whatever else and do a v/b (which should be a kick ass setup) or just vb mod the 07 and hope someone can do a tcu software upgrade. i know back in the early s4 days (m.y. 2k+) they had a "tip chip" which changed shift speeds and what not. the thing is...the gear ratios are the exact same as 05-07 m.y. but changed out the final drive. imo...keep 05-07 ratios, swap out t/c (or level 10) do v/b, and get the software/hardware differences from the 08.

and is that the same 5EAT tranny that comes in the LGT???? because as we already have discussed and confirmed, the 5EAT in the 3.0R is NOT the same as in the LGT.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

and is that the same 5EAT tranny that comes in the LGT???? because as we already have discussed and confirmed, the 5EAT in the 3.0R is NOT the same as in the LGT.

between the gt's from 07 to 08...final gear ratio, oil line pressure, t/c, tcu. otherwise, i would be willing to bet that the majority of it is the exact same.

as far as i can tell. 1 difference is the final drive between the 3.0r and the 07 gt...every ratio is the exact same. to me it seems like a t/c, some oil line pressure and a tcu "upgrade" is all that is different. NOTHING that a Level 10 or a good tuner can't beat. the 08 gt vs R however, the 08 gt got a new (slower) final drive.

the tribeca now looks like it has our exact gear ratios now. geared to be slower, but hey, i'm no automotive engineer at subaru. not sure the final drive. they also claim stronger final gear.

muahhaa...found a link

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Fall07_whatmakes.htm

yeah...the final drive on the tribeca is the only gear difference between the legacy gt's from 05-08.

good find, richard! very interesting indeed! :)

i'm still keeping my 05 LGT, even when i do pick up a new STI hatch (whenever that will be).

thanks,

yeah. if my assumptions are right and as we all know...subaru will try to keep costs low and most likely use as much as commonly possible between all models. it is an assumption that the tribeca tranny will be the exact same (outside of final drive ratio) as the gt/3.0r. figuring the other stuff in, it obviously means modding to keep current shouldn't cost THAT much. wont be cheap so dont get me wrong.

another thought i had is that IF the g35 uses the exact same tranny, why can't we get tcu updates from them?

btw, what does the vb mod do? i swear it was line pressure. if so, then according to the Drive, it is one of the changes done. if it is, than i wonder if the new t/c is even "needed". yeah, go check out an 08 again.

thanks,

yeah. if my assumptions are right and as we all know...subaru will try to keep costs low and most likely use as much as commonly possible between all models. it is an assumption that the tribeca tranny will be the exact same (outside of final drive ratio) as the gt/3.0r. figuring the other stuff in, it obviously means modding to keep current shouldn't cost THAT much. wont be cheap so dont get me wrong.

another thought i had is that IF the g35 uses the exact same tranny, why can't we get tcu updates from them?

btw, what does the vb mod do? i swear it was line pressure. if so, then according to the Drive, it is one of the changes done. if it is, than i wonder if the new t/c is even "needed". yeah, go check out an 08 again.

I have looked around I have not seen much or anything about TCU upgrades for g35/350z etc...

I wish someone would come out with software for the TCU, only problem is the VB might actually be more affective in increasing line pressure than a TCU upgrade.

Although the 08 vb might be a cheaper alternative (if you can find one used) to the IPT upgrades if the 08 in fact has faster shifts.

Archived