LegacyGT.com

What Speed in What Gear on 5EAT?

I never let mine drive itself .. kinda defeats the purpose of having an automatic, but what can I say, I'm stupid. :p The auto just doesn't keep itself anywhere near the powerband for my intentions. I usually stay in 3rd up until about 40 and it's fine. I usually never hit 5th unless i'm going 50+ and there's no incline.

Seeing as how you bought an automatic, why dont you let the transmission decide what gear you should be in.

http://humanityquest.com/themes/inspiration/Comics/images_Microsoft/%20BeanManIdeaLight.gif

:whore:

I never let mine drive itself .. kinda defeats the purpose of having an automatic, but what can I say, I'm stupid. :p The auto just doesn't keep itself anywhere near the powerband for my intentions. I usually stay in 3rd up until about 40 and it's fine. I usually never hit 5th unless i'm going 50+ and there's no incline.

I bet your mpg sucks...

Seeing as how you bought an automatic, why dont you let the transmission decide what gear you should be in.

http://humanityquest.com/themes/inspiration/Comics/images_Microsoft/%20BeanManIdeaLight.gif

because it never knows; 'D' lives in 5th and shifts @ 4k; if you want more responsive/better performance or control under certain conditions, sport or manual mode is effective. MM is also req'd fare if snail is upgraded and you want to realize any of the right-shifted powerband.

also, a single braking comparo btwn 'D' and sport/MM will yield equally interesting results.

OP: note the fat part of the powerband you like, watch your gauges, practice.

i guess it's easy for an mt driver to just say 'put it in 'd', genius' because they don't drive this car nor realize there are pretty significant disads in not utilizing the left-stick-t.

The reason why I was asking was because I went for a test drive today to address the stutter issue with the Subaru Technician and regional rep. I figured 3rd gear going 40 was a good place to be. That puts my RPM's right under 3K. When I step on the accelerator at that point is when the stutter is most prominent. I just wanted to make sure that was an OK gear/speed. Conclusion: the Subaru tech pretty much said the same thing, leave it in drive. Makes no sense becuase it will downshift and redline. pointless.

it all depends on where you are driving at that particular moment, how you feel, how much economy you want, how much distance you have, how fast you want to accelerate etc

you can drive the car differently everytime depending on circumstances - you can even shift at 1500rpm if you can only go slow in certain places and you want fuel economy

want to go ze fastest? floor it and shift at 5500rpm or so

exactly...

Of course I understand and appreciate right-foot control :). Just mho that performance-wise it is far, far better to already be in the right gear for what you want the car to do, and furthermore to be able to control when you will shift to the next. To each his own: I still think when it comes to getting what can be had out of the 5eat, well-driven MM>sport>'D'.

daily driving, i leave it in D. unless someone or something pisses me off, and i put it in Sport. if i'm just feeling like driving like a jerk, then it'sll be manual mode (or i'm at the track). othewise, it's time to conserve gas and draw as little attention to myself as possible.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

daily driving, i leave it in D. unless someone or something pisses me off, and i put it in Sport. if i'm just feeling like driving like a jerk, then it'sll be manual mode (or i'm at the track). othewise, it's time to conserve gas and draw as little attention to myself as possible.

07 was changed a bit. it will shift at reline or 2-300 rpms short anyways no matter what.

s# will hold a gear for several seconds though. my only gripe is when i am cruising in d (99.9999% of the time) i want to be in fist but the engine/tranny says there is enough torque to stay in/go to second. that's my only complaint.

i find it really really odd that some say the 5eat for 05 and o6 will shift at 88 when mine is at ~95. i will also swear the tranny shifts harder in S# than I. in S# i can feel the kick down sometimes. kinda weird. never notice it in I.

also, unless i am an idiot, for the 07 there is no sports mode...the only "sport" mode is in the si drive. afaik, there is manual and D. the only tranny differences is in I and S#.

Archived