LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy Turbo Need help

Okay i got a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited with 62000 miles on it i have changed the clutch but my turbo is eating and throwing oil out the exhaust i am not sure what to do but i was told it was my turbo so I am thinking of getting an sti or upgrading my turbo need help i have no idea what would be best to buy and I am on a budget so i am looking for a good cheap turbo i do know basic about engine work just not where to find a good cheap turbo for my car can anyone help me with this please

Okay i got a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited with 62000 miles on it i have changed the clutch but my turbo is eating and throwing oil out the exhaust i am not sure what to do but i was told it was my turbo so I am thinking of getting an sti or upgrading my turbo need help i have no idea what would be best to buy and I am on a budget so i am looking for a good cheap turbo i do know basic about engine work just not where to find a good cheap turbo for my car can anyone help me with this please

Holy... have you ever heard of using punctuation?

How much oil is your car using? 1 qt/500 miles? 1000 miles? 3000 miles?

well if you go with a wrx style turbo you're gonna have to get a new intercooler, you could rebuild it with 18g internals and go Stage 2 with an access port, but i wouldn't advise just upgrading to a bigger turbo and thats it...

-Stewy

how do you know that it is spitting out oil? do you smell it? do you see it? its impossible to see oil actully dripping out the exhaust.

is there lose of power?

lose of boost?

sounds coming from te engine bay?

O.P.

First off they all pretty much start "eating oil" after 3K miles on a change.

How much oil is it using and after how long?

Second, if you are referring to the black stuff on the muffler tips; they all do that. It's soot, carbon or unburned fuel stains and you will see more if cattless or if you only have one hi-flow cat.

Third, you will most likely HEAR your turbo going before oil consumption is an indicator of a bad turbo.

What oil are you running?

How often do you change it?

What mods have you done other than the clutch?

Let's kick this pig!

+1 to what everyone else said. I can burn through a qt of oil if i go over 4k between oil changes, but normally i burn about 1/4 to 1/2 qt every 3-4k. i run mobil 1 10-30, stage 2 tune, and i drive her hard at least once a week :)

as far as black soot buildup on the pipes thats normal too. the cars run rich. the tips are always black by the time i wash it, but i dont have any buildup on my bumper ever.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

+1 to what everyone else said. I can burn through a qt of oil if i go over 4k between oil changes, but normally i burn about 1/4 to 1/2 qt every 3-4k. i run mobil 1 10-30, stage 2 tune, and i drive her hard at least once a week :)

as far as black soot buildup on the pipes thats normal too. the cars run rich. the tips are always black by the time i wash it, but i dont have any buildup on my bumper ever.

+1 to that.

totally agree.

okay im putting my car up on my lift tomorrow night so i'll take pics and show everyone what im talking about and i took the head shield off my turbo so i don't think anything is wrong it's never had any work done on the engine only a clutch swap done by myself and also dose anyone know why my starter would be making a nose while running and out of gear and im sure it's the starter

What clutch/flywheel did you put in it?

If it is the starter; it sounds like it's not retracting the starter gear all the way and it hanging on the flywheel ring gear. You will be able to tell by removing the starter and looking at the teeth to see if they are chewed on the tips.

If it's a "chirping" noise try reaching under the IC (while engine is running) and push the clutch fork toward the front of the engine just a hair. If it stops you need to bleed the slave cylinder or adjust the pedal travel and if that doesn't work you will need to put a spring on it. Some aftermarket clutch/flywheel setups have a little TOB chatter after installed and will need a spring attached to the clutch fork to pull it off the TOB when released (like STI's have out of the factory).

Let's kick this pig!

well i put penzoil in my car and in under 3k i burned 4q had no oil in my car it was bad

So do you leave a puddle of oil when you park?

I'm wondering if the top oil line bolt is loose or if there is a head gasket leaking. Pics of oily spots would help greatly.

Let's kick this pig!

Archived