LegacyGT.com

Black McGards - how durable is the finish?

GTCanada

I have the black two piece lugs on my LGT summer set-up. I have been to the track a number of times this summer which means repeated torquing at the track, wheel rotations, pads swaps, fluid bleeds... so far after all the abuse, they still look fine.

Not to mention, the only part you really see from 5 feet away is the end cap which really doesn't touch the spline tool.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I haven't put mine through as much as fweasel, but the finish certainly seems a lot more durable than the finish on the Kyokugen lugs I had on my Honda. A few tire rotations later there's some light surface scratches, but that's about it.

My only complaint is that they key is VERY flimsy.

I had some nice black Japanese tuner lugs on my last car, not locking lugs but regular ones all around and they oxidized a terrible gold colour after about a year.

i chalked it up to the car wash company putting on harsh chemicals that stained them permanently.

be careful with what you wash them with... it was 70 bucks down the drain for me...

I have the 2-piece black McGards too.

I've had them for two and a half years now or so (nearly as long as the car). And I've swapped my tires more times than I can count for autocross, track, brake services, swapping to winter wheels, and the hell of it. The finish has held up really nice, but I also do everything by hand when I change my tires. No electric or air tools. Its not that I'm trying to baby the lugs, its just that I don't own any :lol:

Anyway, the finish has held up real nice, especially compared to my friends blue painted lugs which started flaking almost immediately.

If I get a chance later, I'll try to dig up a relatively recent picture (or take a new one) of the lugs if you are curious.

Okay, I took some pics.

Also, like I said I've had these for 2.5 years. And they were used when I got them. I honestly don't know how old they really are. 4-5 years maybe?

NOTE: these pics are taken against white wheels. Don't worry, I only race on them. We've just had two events a week apart, so I left them on for this week.

The first pic is a close up of the lug. You can start to see it changing colors a little bit. I think the picture over blows the magnitude that the brown color is seeping in, but it is definitely noticeable when you get that close.

As you can see, as soon as you take one step back, though, you barely notice it. Standing 5 feet away, they look as black as the day I've gotten them.

closeup.jpg.5e89b00a853d374213298eabca45e87e.jpg

further.jpg.adc8d6620dcb5b415c6ebd66b5e76244.jpg

standingback.jpg.09a939bc651c8616accd5b639e004913.jpg

Archived