LegacyGT.com

unknowingly purchased damaged car

:eek:I know what you are thinking. How could you not know it was damaged. I purchased a 2005 OB XT with very low miles. Car history report showed no reports or problems. Started to have alignment issues and found out that the car was wrecked at the dealership and "fixed" by them and we were not told of this when we bought it. No they didn't get it fixed! This happened in Kansas and I am wondering if anyone knows what my options or legal rights are. Thanks for any responses you might have.

lawyer +1

call SOA

call Better business bureau

call johnny cochran (sorry I had to)

I would call a lawyer and soa, but first get an insurance adjuster to figure it out if it has been damaged. or a body shop to proove that their was damage at one point

This exact thing happened to me in '97 at a Chevrolet dealer in NY. The car was a '97 Malibu, a "demo" with about 5K miles, being sold as new. After having 6 months of problems I "accidentally" found out it had been in a bad accident and repaired, but obviously not repaired well.

When I confronted the dealership owner with what I knew he quickly offered cash or credit for exactly what I had paid 6 months earlier. I took the cash, gave them the car back, and bought a '98 LOB whcih I kept for 6 years.

I was in a demanding school in '97 and needed the car to commute in to NYC daily... I had no time for a lengthy legal battle or I would have taken them to the cleaners due to all the inconvenience I had with the car... it had been in the shop something like ten times and 55 days over the 6 months I had it.

Talk to a lawyer. You have been wronged. Hang in there and good luck.

Update:

It looks as if the alignment machine at the dealership was off and our car wasn't damaged after all, but it still has an issue with wearing out of the right rear tire that is just slightly off toe. This car will smooth off a tire in about 1800 miles and the dealership is looking for some kind of a mechanical issue that may be the root cause of all of this. Also, our fuel economy is low also, about 15 mpg highway, so we may have a clutch issue or something in the drivetrain. Anyone have any exprience with any of this? Thanks for any response.

Started to have alignment issues and found out that the car was wrecked at the dealership and "fixed" by them and we were not told of this when we bought it.

So the above is not true???????? Who told you this in the first place????????

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Some of this is true. The dealer where I bought the car, now admits that the roof panel and cargo rails were repaired or replaced.

The alignment issue went as follows. Took the car to another dealer, closer to home for alignment check. That machine showed a car very much out of aligment, and that shop told me that it looked to them that the car must have been in an accident. When questioning the selling dealer about this they denied knowing about an accident, but they would check the car to see what was up. They took the car to two different but same manufacturer alignment machines (same as the first machine mentioned) and the latter two did not agree with the first. They show only slight rear toe off on left. Through some investigation of my own, I found out that the car was damaged sometime between when the orignal owner traded and when I bought the car. This is what the dealer now admits to.

I am just not sure where we are now.

I received a call from them this morning and they are now blaming a bad tire for the wear issue. (strange thing is it has done this to two tires as I rotated the back tires side to side 1800 miles ago and it did the same thing to another tire at the same position). They claim that as we drive some sanded roads and have tires with a tread wear rating of only 200, that is what the probem is. My response that was, why are not the other tires doing the same thing? I am starting to feel very frustrated.....

Now they want to back out of an agreement to replace our tires for us......I thought that was coming.

The car now has 9850 miles on it. Sanded roads wearing out tires on a Subaru inside of 10000 miles?

My other four did not do this in the last 12 years!!!!! Not even my 05 LGT!!!

Started to have alignment issues and found out that the car was wrecked at the dealership and "fixed" by them and we were not told of this when we bought it.

So the above is not true???????? Who told you this in the first place????????

Last I checked, buying a new car wasn't supposed to include any mechanical issues.

Call SOA, demand a replacement car.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived