LegacyGT.com

Price Gouging???

FJ60

Autowest Subaru in Roseville charges roughly $25 for a rear wiper blade on a 2005+ Legacy wagon. SubaruGenuineParts.com lists the same part (not just a refill) for $9.85 (msrp $14.95). Either SubaruGenuineParts.com is losing money on every wiper blade they sell or Autowest is shamelessly price gouging.:mad:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

they might be replacing the arm along with it and not the blade only.

Nope. Just the blade. Roseville VW charged $7.98 for the rear wiper blade on my wife's '03 Passat.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

Autowest Subaru in Roseville charges roughly $25 for a rear wiper blade on a 2005+ Legacy wagon. SubaruGenuineParts.com lists the same part (not just a refill) for $9.85 (msrp $14.95). Either SubaruGenuineParts.com is losing money on every wiper blade they sell or Autowest is shamelessly price gouging.:mad:

Sounds to me like they're charging for installation (a ten-second process).

Our cash price is $17.19, and we install them for free.

MSRP doesn't take into account variables like location. SGP has a nice large warehouse and only one person working there...so low overhead. She sells the items ~20-25% above cost.

Add shipping into your equation for the $9.85, and you're getting back into MSRP territory, if not a little higher.

Even though I bought my car at Autowest, I go to Maita to get service and parts. Usually they will sell at the same price as online prices + shipping. Also check Senator Subaru's webpage as they frequently have specials like 10% above cost for parts. I know Maita will honor Senator's coupons.

I paid over 50 bucks for a front emblem from my dealer... to add onto an RBS grille.

Yes, money to burn I guess...

But you can't tell me with a straight face that it cost anywhere near that to manufacture. Probably 5 bucks out of China and a nice 90 point profit.

Sounds to me like they're charging for installation (a ten-second process).

Our cash price is $17.19, and we install them for free.

MSRP doesn't take into account variables like location. SGP has a nice large warehouse and only one person working there...so low overhead. She sells the items ~20-25% above cost.

Add shipping into your equation for the $9.85, and you're getting back into MSRP territory, if not a little higher.

Installation wasn't included in their price. I don't expect dealers to match internet prices; I just want to be charged a relatively reasonable amount. For example, your price is more than fair given an MSRP of $14.95. (About $2 plus sales tax offsets the cost of shipping.) But Autowest charging nearly 50% more than your quote is ridiculous.

I paid over 50 bucks for a front emblem from my dealer... to add onto an RBS grille.

Yes, money to burn I guess...

But you can't tell me with a straight face that it cost anywhere near that to manufacture. Probably 5 bucks out of China and a nice 90 point profit.

The extra $45 you paid is for all the lead the child laborers put in the paint.:spin:

Huh, my passenger side wiper and rear wiper were $10.95, each, at Maita. Drivers side was a bit more. I don't have the itemized receipt, but subtracting out the oil change ($17, I had my own oil), and rotation ($15), the cost of replacing all three wipers was under $30.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Archived