LegacyGT.com

5EAT transmission querk/problem

mcsquish

It's early in the morning and I just fire up the car and go, not much warm up. I have changed my driving habits and have noticed the shifting has improved so maybe the tranny is use to the agressive shifting under hard excelleration and when it is cold it still shifts hard to ensure proper shifts. We will se what happens, I work at a subie dealer and they say its normal based upon driving habits. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problems.

When it's cold it shifts hard because the ATF is thicker and thus not flowing as easily. Line pressure may also be up which contributes to the transmission "biting" into gears. When it's cold, it is also programmed to rev up a little more than usual to speed up the warming of the ATF.

1-2 right after a cold start can bite into gear, i've found in 1st if you let it rev up a little (it likes to rev high in 1st after cold start before it shifts to second) and back off on the throttle a little to hold a lower RPM before the shift, it will either hold you in first around 2k RPM or it will shift very smooth. after that its pretty smooth sailing

Archived