LegacyGT.com

Help me find my next tires

bman

My wife was gonna take the LGT to ALB this morning and while I was checking the tire pressure I noticed a screw head popping out from the sidewall. After a few :soap_box: I checked the pressure and (for now) it's holding. She took the truck and I drove to work. I'm gonna replace the RE070's on there now with the RE92's in my garage. The RE070's were at the end of their life anyway. So I will be going from 225/45/17 to 215/45/17. I know there's a lot of RE92 bashing here. I would like to get opinions on what would be a good quality and value tire. Here are are the conditions for them:

1) I live 10miles outside of Boston, MA

2) This is my DD

3) I have a separate set of winters on separate rims. (Nov-Apr)

4) I don't have unlimited financial resources and I would like them to last.

5) I don't track, drag, or have ever driven my vehicle over 90MPH. (no laughing please :redface: )

6) My wife and I drive up to NH, ME, (upstate) NY but, never off-road.

Thanks for your suggestions. Also a good place to buy wouldn't hurt. FYI I'm not above buying used...looking at CL right now.

Hey Brian, I used Direct Tire on Galen/Centre St. to get my Toyo T1-R summer tires. The tires might be more performance summer oriented than you are looking for (although I use them as my 1/2 year, Oct-Mar tire) but the people were curteous and professional and they treated my new Rota's nicely. I had the tires mounted and when I went to pick them up they were wrapped and stacked with plenty of cardboard between them.

+1 for Direct Tire, -1 for Sullivan Tire

Underdog,

I would send anyone to Direct Tire without hesitation. They are the top standard of customer service. However, I feel that it comes at too much of a price for me. I tried ExpressTire on Main St and they were really nice. Only charged me $25/each to replace/balance/stems. They didn't have anything in 225/45-17 but, I had my own anyway.

dbrier,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Right now I'm considering the General Exclaim UHP, Kumho ECSTA ASX, Falken Ziex ZE-512, Nexen N5000/N7000. They all have a treadwear in the high 300's-400's and they are priced <$100/ea

Right now I'm considering the General Exclaim UHP, Kumho ECSTA ASX, Falken Ziex ZE-512, Nexen N5000/N7000. They all have a treadwear in the high 300's-400's and they are priced <$100/ea

I'm also considering these (after winter) but have deleted the 2 tires that are not sold at Tire Rack. My reason for this is I'm a "spirited" driver and if I need to get a new tire (due to sidewall puncture) mid-way through their tread life, I can have one shaved and shipped overnite by TireRack. There's no place in my area (that I've found) that shaves tires.

But that's just me.

Kumho Ecsta ASX would be the best bet. for high performance all-seasons they are very grippy, good on rain, great mileage, and low low road noise. Falken's tend to get noisy on hard cornering and during long drives, although treadwear is pretty good. General's aren't really known for their all-season tires.. and i have no idea about the nexens since i never used or heard about them.

of all choices though, the Kumhos would be your best bet. everyone carries them, easy to get your hands on, and since you're coming from the super hard side-walled, super soft compound potenza re070s.. youre not going to want anything less grippier.

also, someone mentioned T1-R's.. i know toyo's are good, but for that price, i would much rather just get the RE070's. for half the price, the RE's will do much better in hi-performance oriented driving, like auto-crosses and they will last much longer. Toyo's are grippy as hell when you first get them, but the mileage you get on them.. terrible!

Archived