LegacyGT.com

Good driving schools

I've come to a conclusion that the best mod that I can do is to attend a driving school to learn how to handle my Legacy at its limits if I ever decide to take it there. What are some good schools? I know of the Skip Barber, but are there any others? I am in Southern California. Thanks

I agree, after my experience with pro-drivers at the RT/CD Ride & Drive, the best upgrade for my LegGT is a mod of driving skills and I am 54 years old. I plan to take my three son's to an all day driving school. Boys are 16, 19 and 24. My 16 yr old attended the ride and drive and he could not believe how limited our driving skills were compared to pro-drivers. In response to your question about driving schools in SoCal, you have options. The one that looks best to me right now is Willow Springs Raceway out near town of Mojave just beyond Lancaster. Take a look at [url]www.willowspringsraceway.com[/url] . You can take your own car out there or drive theirs for half day, all day and/or multi-day driving schools. Another option local are kart tracks. I rode with a guy that did almost as good as the pro-drivers and he said he developed more skills from his kart racing than AutoX. I plan to start with the street car training out at Willow Springs and go from there. BTW, I love my LegGT Wagon. Car has exceeded my expectations. Hope your question uncovers some other good options.

I've heard good things about Bondurant, as well. Derek Daly is more racing-oriented, though I know they also have car control stuff. I think that Barber is the name that comes to people's minds first for a reason. They really are excellent. I don't know how widespread Track Time schools are, but those are really neat also. We have them up here in the Midwest, where you can drive your own car, with an instructor riding shotgun. There's nothing having someone go a LOT faster in your own car to teach you some humility. :lol: Kevin

[url]www.bondurant.com[/url] [url]www.raceschool.com[/url] [url]www.driftingschool.com[/url] [url]www.raceschools.com[/url] [url]www.skipbarber.com[/url] [url]www.andrettiracing.com[/url] [url]www.midohio.com[/url] [url]www.panozracingschool.com[/url] [url]www.racenow.com[/url] [url]www.espnrussellracing.com[/url] [url]www.racerchicks.com/auto/stuntschool.html[/url] [url]www.bobbyoresports.com[/url] Check with the scheduling of your local road tracks for one-day events for high-performance driving.. there's usually a native race team school that uses the track as their home track to practice on. There's also various local chapter clubs like Mazda, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Corvette, etc. that you can join via yearly membership (and no, you dont need to own one to be part of the club) and run on the track with them for about $200/day or $300 or $400/weekend or 2-day events. There's also autox driving school as well as my two favorite right now are stunt driving and precision driving schools that I am considering. Keefe
Keefe

thought you guys might get a kick out of this kind of car control: [url]http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/motor_sports/2000/12/Stunt_Driving_School/[/url] [img]http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/motor_sports/2000/12/Stunt_Driving_School/images/tb_0012AUMSWFZD[1].jpg[/img] Keefe
Keefe

For novice that never been on a track, it's best to allow the instructor show you around the course in your own car (he shouldnt push it anyway, it's just a tour of the track)... you then come into pit, you switch seats and he rides shotgun for the rest of the day. Don't expect to get signed-off to run Solo until the track organizers think you are ready.. took me 8 track events before I was signed off to drive solo. It's always good to have an instructor with you, cuz there's plenty to learn, especially when you get the basics down and you get to start driving "off-line" through the whole track. Some instructors may be better than others in a sense that the instructor has to suite your needs. Some can be really talkative, while others may seem too enthusiastic for some people.. some have very little to say, and of course, you can always request a new instructor if you wish, afterall, it's YOUR day at the track, enjoy it! Also get a ride with the instructor in HIS/HER car when they go out for their session, you'll definitely see how awesome it is to feel the car glide and slide into the right places on the track. I missed my opportunity to let Randy Pobst (THE professional Speed Channel GT driver)to drive my WRX at an Audi Chapter Driving School Event.. everyone that got the chance for Randy to drive their cars while riding shotgun all had the same thought: "WOW, I NEVER KNEW MY CAR COULD DO THAT! I NEVER KNEW ANY CAR CAN DO THAT! I KNOW I CAN'T DO THAT WITH MY CAR!" all while pissing in your pants from the excitment from just sitting in a hot lap with Randy. Keefe
Keefe

IMO autox is a great way to learn car control in a very safe environment. Traffic cones are about the only thing you can hit, so long as the course designer knows what he/she is doing. Open track stuff is great, but things happen, and concrete walls are not forgiving. Even if you aren't pushing it very hard, things happen fast at track speeds. A local guy trashed his Esprit a year or two back when someone else dropped oil all over the track in a braking zone and hit hit a very solid wall. The local aut-xes I attend rarely, if ever, get much over 60 MPH. You'd be amazed how difficult it is to control a car at 40-45 in tight corners. And it is much cheaper to get started, if you decide you like it you can up the ante to track days. Check out local car blubs like someone else already mentioned. In addition to autox the local BMWCCA here runs an "Advanced Drivers Skills school" which is braking and cornering excersices, then a good deal of time on a skidpad to learn the limits of the car. My (now) wife and I attended one of those sessions a few years back just as we started autoxing, it was great to learn some of the skills. As she's from the south it has made her feel much more confident driving in the snow...the AWD A4 and 4 snows didn't hurt. :lol: /bill

There are two main ways to do this. One is to go with a real driving school like Barber and Bondurant. You pay a lot more, but you get professional instructions and exercises, and you drive their car, not yours. They are great, but expensive, way to improve your driving in a hurry. But you won't learn about the specific way YOUR car handles. The other way is to go to the other "track days" or "driver's education" event, where you drive your own car, and the instructors are simple people with good experience who gets to run for free (or very little) at the events. Besides those listed above, one very popular and good one, especially on the West Coast is the HPDE run by NASA. [url]http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html[/url] Or, I have run with a small one-man company called TracQuest several times on the E. Coast. They cost more than other clubs, but usually smaller run group, and more relaxed passing and solo rules, and more track time. [They are still very safe.] You are also not assigned a fixed instructor, so you can get more perspectives from different instructors. If you think you're a fast learner, has good discipline, and don't mind the higher cost, you may want to consider this company. [url]www.tracquest.com[/url] And pick the track you go to. Willow Springs is a very fast course, but is not very technical. It's great for people having high HP cars testing out engines and high-speed handling, but is not the best venue to learn something. Streets of Willow, which is next door (on the right in the satellite/aerial picture above) is just the opposite. Slow course, but very technical, and you can actually learn something. Another great track is Buttonwillow, on I-5, in the Central Valley. Very interesting course with all kinds of turns.

I've been missing my opportunities to autox. But I jumped all over the chance to run at Sebring. I'm currently #1 on the wait list for a Dec. 18th event, so hopefully I'll get in. As y'all mentioned, it's a local club that I had never heard of. Luckily, my neighbor (Porche/VW/Miata enthusiast) happens to be an instructor. I can't wait!

definitely check out some of the postings for [url]www.scca.org[/url] for your area for local driving events.. this may include autox schools (it's seems to be more pratical and safe and it's more geared to street driving conditions than 80 to 90mph sweepers on a road course). It's a better way to learn in an wide-open parking with an instructor through a course with cones. It's very low cost as well compared to some track events. [url]www.nasaproracing.com[/url] is another place to find some good seat time as well. Look for local autox/racing clubs that have such persona.. I am with [url]www.salazar-racing.com[/url] ever since 2001 and I have learned so much more from my teammates of all aspects of the automotive world than I would just talking on the boards. These guys helped me get in the right attitude about what it takes to be the driver. We also host local autox events as well. It's really cool to sit in with someone who is way more knowledgeable AND knows how to make things happen with the car and just absorb the info from them. There's nothing much to pick out of their brain, if anything, sometimes it gets to a sensorary overload and sometimes you just have to ride again to soak up the experience. Keefe
Keefe

• 5 months later...
[quote name='MtnSub']I agree, after my experience with pro-drivers at the RT/CD Ride & Drive, the best upgrade for my LegGT is a mod of driving skills and I am 54 years old. I plan to take my three son's to an all day driving school. Boys are 16, 19 and 24. My 16 yr old attended the ride and drive and he could not believe how limited our driving skills were compared to pro-drivers. In response to your question about driving schools in SoCal, you have options. The one that looks best to me right now is Willow Springs Raceway out near town of Mojave just beyond Lancaster. Take a look at [url="http://www.willowspringsraceway.com"]www.willowspringsraceway.com[/url] . You can take your own car out there or drive theirs for half day, all day and/or multi-day driving schools. Another option local are kart tracks. I rode with a guy that did almost as good as the pro-drivers and he said he developed more skills from his kart racing than AutoX. I plan to start with the street car training out at Willow Springs and go from there. BTW, I love my LegGT Wagon. Car has exceeded my expectations. Hope your question uncovers some other good options.[/QUOTE] Hi! So how did was the course? How much did you learn? I'm 19 and thinking to join one of these classes. Which do you recommand? [url]http://www.acteva.com//ttghits.cfm?EVA_ID=17627[/url] I have been driving my car for nearly 1 year, and had been NEARLY involved in accidents for many times. (touch wood) So I guess I should learn attend some classes to improve my skill. Any recommandation? btw, I live in SoCal, Rowland Heights. It seem Fast Lane is the "closest" to my home... btw, is Willow Spring is the same as Fast Lane?? Thanks!:D

I don't know about the driving courses (like which is better), but to answer your last question, Fast Lane is not the same as Willow Springs.... However, Fast Lane seems to be a company that does driving courses ON Willow Springs' course :). Hope that helps.
-ben

[quote name='crapy']I have been driving my car for nearly 1 year, and had been NEARLY involved in accidents for many times. (touch wood) So I guess I should learn attend some classes to improve my skill. Any recommandation?[/QUOTE] Driving on a race track will not help with accident avoidance. If you feel like you're close to be in accidents many times, first thing to do start anticipating what other drivers around you will do. That's by far the most important thing. And then, do some auto-crosses to actually learn how to manuver the car around the obstacles.

[quote name='retslo']Keefe - Do you teach too? I'm up in Lancaster, PA and my wife and I could come down for some instructions. Sergej[/QUOTE] Yes, actually I do teach solo2 racing.. but I havent been approved yet for track events by BSR at Summit Point and other various track driving schools (I have been lazy and havent taken the instructor courses yet to be validated and need a few more track days). Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='rkkwan']Driving on a race track will not help with accident avoidance. If you feel like you're close to be in accidents many times, first thing to do start anticipating what other drivers around you will do. That's by far the most important thing. And then, do some auto-crosses to actually learn how to manuver the car around the obstacles.[/QUOTE] rkkwan is correct, track driving doesnt help with "street survival". There are classes for accident-avoidence and street survival (most if it is really a mental class rather than a 90% hands-on class). There are classes that will help you in preparing your mind for that typical drive to work in a safer manner than you originally thought before you took the class... think of it as "enlightenment". Keefe
Keefe

[url]www.audiclubna.org[/url] has some great courses. They do stuff all over the country. My friend is an instructor (mostly in his WRX, but occasionally in the A4) and everyone I know thats been says they really like it. There is a 1:1 instructor to student ratio, and you drive your own car. Don't worry about it being an Audi event, there are usually plenty of Subarus and Volvos and other AWD turbo cars. I haven't been, but I hear the experience is perfect for beginners. As for Southern California events, they just did Parumph (~2hrs north west of Las Vegas) and Buttonwillow (west of Bakersfield). Streets of Willow (just north of Palmdale/Lancaster) is on July 7th-9th and will be $330 for 2 days worth of instruction. [url=http://www.audiclubna.org/calendar/eventlist.html]Whole event list[/url] [url=http://www.sccaudi.com/articles.asp?id=124]Audi Club Willow Springs event[/url]

I've done both, and both are fun. Probably give the edge to autocrossing for accident avoidance. However, track days at the right track can also tell you a lot about how your car handles at the edge and slightly beyond once the tires are loaded up...good if you are in a turn on the street and hit ice/sand/oil.

Untitled-9.jpg.ddb9cfe414b0216ec180131c00d2e687.jpg

Untitled-15.jpg.0093f56aff92c2decb208ebdb23a1c0a.jpg

Untitled-13.jpg.96c2524085999b7c4e681202c7cdcd38.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I live in Mass and just did a Skip Barber 2 day driving school at Lime Rock. I t was great - good skid pad work some autocross - all useful and fun stuff. I am going back twice more this year for more. Autocross with a Viper was a blast.

I picked up Bob Bondurant's high performance driving book from Amazon.com. It is by no means a substitute for the hands on experince but it gives you so exercises that will help with perfromance and everyday driving. I have been trying to talk my wife into (she is the one that makes the money, I am a substitute teacher and my paychecks are almost worthless :redface: ) driving school for us. She thinks they are too expensive and it would just be an excuse for me to drive fast.

Archived